Excessive barking by puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kultchris

Jan 28, 2004
Hey guys , I've just gotten a puppy and its barking quite frequently. It is a west highland white terrier . Most puppies love to sleep right ? But in her case, she is always barking, worse of all a few times in the middle of the night . As I stay in HDB, it is quite a worrying issue. I was told by the pet shop to just ignore the barking, however when i do so the puppy will bark till i attend to her. Was checking out the anti-bark collars frm Pet Lovers but it costs around $270++. Just like to know if u guys have any better suggestions or even cheaper anti bark collars to recommend . Many thanks for your help !

:)

Simple positive and negative re-inforcement.

Either cane or smack the dog lightly when the puppy is barking. And when it does not, positively enforce it with a small snack.

They will learn quickly tat not barking will get them snacks and barking will result in getting a whack.

We have tried tat but its still not working , its really quite worrying as my parents are pretty unhappy abt the excessive barking at night . She wont stop till we attend to her. Thanks Zac for ur reply ! :)

nope, it sleeps in the living room . Sometimes the puppy feels hungry in the middle of the night like say 2am ? den we feed it and after tat ard 5am it barks again until we give her food. She will not relent till she is fed. Other times she just cant sleep.

try putting the puppy beside your bed when sleeping and see if the situation improves.

when my dog was still a puppy last time, and he got too yappy, few knocks on the nose (most sensitive part) and a stern "NO. QUIET" will usually keep him quiet, and he'll hide in a corner and weep.

puppies should only be fed twice a day (morning and evening)..if your puppy keeps wanting more, be firm and refuse to give. you have to show her who's the boss at hoome.

Thanks for ur reply. I know we shoud only feed it twice a day, but if we just refuse to feed it at night, say 2am when she barks, she wont stop barking . And cos we afraid to get complaint by our neighbours, we have to relent. Now we r having sleepless nights cos of the little puppy.

Pups need to feel safe especially when very young since they are "forcefully" removed from their siblings and mother. They still safer sleeping with a "crowd". There are a number of ways to help pups get through the yappy stage (it's quite a normal stage). Some pups are satisfied with a large soft toy while I have heard of methods like caging in the room etc. Also it might be helpful to have a nightlight. Puppies are like babies, they have short sleep cycles. So they wake, play, eat, do business, sleep a few times a day and seldom do you get puppies that sleep through the night. I strongly discourage the use of bark collars on puppies though. I agree with +evenstar that stern discipline does help also. But please do not treat your pup as a human baby. Save the baby talk and "awwwww its ok its ok, don't be scared" for your baby cousins, nieces and nephews. As mentioned by +evenstar, a dog needs to know its place in the family i.e bottom rung of the ladder/hierarchy. Do not ever cuddle or show empathy for your dog after discipline. Many people, especially thoes with small dogs, go cuddle and pat the dog the moment after disciplining the dog, just because it whimpered or weeped. Dogs perceive sentiments and too much of soft sentiments makes you seem weak and since the dog regards you as family, it will want to protect you and may develop alpha dog mentality. The result will be constant growling/barking/biting/territorial behaviour etc. You can google more about it. Lotsa info on the net.

Pups need to feel safe especially when very young since they are "forcefully" removed from their siblings and mother. They still safer sleeping with a "crowd". There are a number of ways to help pups get through the yappy stage (it's quite a normal stage). Some pups are satisfied with a large soft toy while I have heard of methods like caging in the room etc. Also it might be helpful to have a nightlight. Puppies are like babies, they have short sleep cycles. So they wake, play, eat, do business, sleep a few times a day and seldom do you get puppies that sleep through the night. I strongly discourage the use of bark collars on puppies though. I agree with +evenstar that stern discipline does help also. But please do not treat your pup as a human baby. Save the baby talk and "awwwww its ok its ok, don't be scared" for your baby cousins, nieces and nephews. As mentioned by +evenstar, a dog needs to know its place in the family i.e bottom rung of the ladder/hierarchy. Do not ever cuddle or show empathy for your dog after discipline. Many people, especially thoes with small dogs, go cuddle and pat the dog the moment after disciplining the dog, just because it whimpered or weeped. Dogs perceive sentiments and too much of soft sentiments makes you seem weak and since the dog regards you as family, it will want to protect you and may develop alpha dog mentality. The result will be constant growling/barking/biting/territorial behaviour etc. You can google more about it. Lotsa info on the net.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I don't have a dog, but your information was enlightening.

Hey guys , I've just gotten a puppy and its barking quite frequently. It is a west highland white terrier . Most puppies love to sleep right ? But in her case, she is always barking, worse of all a few times in the middle of the night . As I stay in HDB, it is quite a worrying issue. I was told by the pet shop to just ignore the barking, however when i do so the puppy will bark till i attend to her. Was checking out the anti-bark collars frm Pet Lovers but it costs around $270++. Just like to know if u guys have any better suggestions or even cheaper anti bark collars to recommend . Many thanks for your help !

:)

firstly, DUN U EVEN FREAKING DARE THINK OF GETTING THE ANTI BARK COLLARS!!! do you even know how it works? would u like to get a jolt of electricity down yr neck everytime you speak. If not then banish that thought. My dog used to bark abit when he was young too, normally i would either spank him on the bottom or accompany him awhile. Puppies are like humans too if they are alone at night they will get scared. Just have to assure the pup tht's all.

Hi JT-Field, before u start ur dun freaking think of using the bark collars talk, u should prob get ur facts right. I am thinking of getting a spray kind. Definately NOT the electric shock kind . Thats why its more ex. The electric shock one is much cheaper, but i have read that its not gd for puppies. The spray kind is known to be milder and more effective therefore more ex. I have read and did lotsa reserach on tat before considering getting one. And tat would be my very last resort. The price isnt cheap and I love my puppy but I gotta think for the rest of my family / neighbours as well.

weeevil, many thanks for ur reply ! :)

Hi JT-Field, before u start ur dun freaking think of using the bark collars talk, u should prob get ur facts right. I am thinking of getting a spray kind. Definately NOT the electric shock kind . Thats why its more ex. The electric shock one is much cheaper, but i have read that its not gd for puppies. The spray kind is known to be milder and more effective therefore more ex. I have read and did lotsa reserach on tat before considering getting one. And tat would be my very last resort. The price isnt cheap and I love my puppy but I gotta think for the rest of my family / neighbours as well.

well my bad for jumping to conclusions but guess i'm not kept up with the times didn't know there is a spray collar :dunno: u just have to endure for a few months... puppies grow very fast and then they will learn if u are stearn with them. You must show the pup u r the boss and not give in to it.

Yep thanks :)

I agree with the pup being lonely or scared... my dog used to bark in the middle of the night whenever there's thunder or when it can't sleep... it's to get your attention. Normally, I'll sit beside him and make him rest, once he goes to sleep, i'll leave quietly... I'll walk off slowly, looking back at whether i woke him up... But if he sees me leaving, he'll start barking again after a while :bsmilie:

I miss my dog.. :heart:

Anti bark collars have its uses but my POV is that it should never be used on a puppy. However, if the situation persists, and worse if you get a complain from a neighbour, you really don't have choice anymore, in a way. It's good that you treat it as a last resort. Try out the ways suggested above, they might just work. BTW, could you share how you're going to manage tonight? Put the pup in your room? The cons would be clearing the poo poo though. I remember the smell of two maltese pups pooing in the room when I was pupsitting them... :sweat:

hmm i used to have a yorkie. when i just brought him home, he kept barking coz he needs company. so i let him sleep in a cage beside me and the barking eased down. during the day, so long he sees people around, he will not keep barking. maybe put him smwhr whereby he can see people? many puppies are rather timid when they first arrive to their new home. hope this helps :)

I believe it's anxiety barking. Keep the puppy close to you at night, maybe sleep with her in the living room or put the cage in your room where she can see you. Cannot keep feeding.

Most important is to establish the pack leader status, must let the dog know who's in-charge. If you go attend the dog everytime it barks, like that the dog will over-ride your authority in the house.

Stern, commanding voice with heart-piercing stare is very important when giving commands.

I'm so not getting into this one, because when it comes to canine up-bringing issues, it's almost as bad, if not worse than discussing religion and politics with many folks, and that includes the myopia and dogma. :rolleyes:

What I will offer, however, are a few guides which you may or may not find useful:

http://www.ddfl.org/tips_dogs.htm#bark
http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/sep-anxiety.pdf
http://dogobedienceadvice.com/why_do_dogs_bark.php
http://www.abcarticledirectory.com/...rk-Non-Stop-in-the-Middle-of-the-Night/228419
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bark_(dog)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080623091152AAPeGJE
http://elyorkie.com/a32072-westie-west-highland-white-terrier.cfm
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_food_does_a_puppy_need_to_eat
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_often_do_you_feed_a_two_month_old_puppy
http://home.att.net/~wdcusick/WestHighlandWhiteTerrier.html

Research your breed's specifics, as well as general puppy care. It's very much like caring for a baby - there are a lot of things you should already know even before puppy came home with you ...but it's never to late to go read up.

All the best kultchris

i dont like neighbour with noisy dog,.........

kill%20this%20dog.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.