Excellent resolution = Excellent image quality??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
As above. Are they equivalent? Pls enlighten.
Thank you.

Originally posted by Falcon
Thank you.
May not be true. Excellent (high) resolution images do contain more details and are likely to look better when printed. But if the quality is not sharp or that it has severe Chromatic Aberrations, I wouldn't say that it has excellent image quality. :)

High (excellent) resolution with excellent image quality will be a deadly combination... :devil:

Thank you.

Not necessary. It's a matter of quantity vs quality. Other factors like CCD quality, lens used, image processing algorithm, etc are very important too.

A 3+ megapixel Canon D30 can probably beat the crap out of a 5mp Coolpix 5700, for example.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Not necessary. It's a matter of quantity vs quality. Other factors like CCD quality, lens used, image processing algorithm, etc are very important too.

A 3+ megapixel Canon D30 can probably beat the crap out of a 5mp Coolpix 5700, for example.

Regards
CK

yeah think colour noise (chrominance) is a killer to prozumer cams

Noise, dynamic range. Chromatic abberations wouldn't be high on my list, and I'd put that down more to the lens than resolution issues.

Thank you.

No Excellent 'resolution' doesn't mean great image quality as there's two sides to the coin, one is the lens and the other the recording medium, each has to be dealt with seperately and finally as a whole.

So which one are you refering to, lens, or recording medium?

Originally posted by Ian

No Excellent 'resolution' doesn't mean great image quality as there's two sides to the coin, one is the lens and the other the recording medium, each has to be dealt with seperately and finally as a whole.

So which one are you refering to, lens, or recording medium?

I am not sure either. I came across the term "excellent resolution" for a particular cam many times when I am looking over the reviews at various review sites or magazines. What are they refering to in this case?

I am not sure either. I came across the term "excellent resolution" for a particular cam many times when I am looking over the reviews at various review sites or magazines. What are they refering to in this case?

Assuming it's a digicam they are refering to the combination of optics and CCD producing images which resolve fine detail well.

If it's a film camera it will largely depend on if it has an interchangable lens or fixed lens. If it's a fixed lens camera (eg P&S) then it will be a combination of optics and film used in the test.

If it's an SLR lens then it refers to the lens and how it produces an image on film.

If it's film it refers to how fine the grain structure is and how 'sharp' the film is.

Status
Not open for further replies.