Ex Highnoon PG

redmonsoon

Aug 6, 2004
Sg
Hi guys, I may have chance to volunteer shoot for my unit ICT.

Anyone have experience, things to take note of, advice, etc..?thks

Or ITS A REALLY BAD IDEA..lol

does it mean you dun have to do the training?

allenleonhart said:
does it mean you dun have to do the training?

Yah kinda, of course thats my Ist question after volunteering..lol
at least thats what e officer agree on if I shoot, no b/w but that I take photos once outfield..

Yah kinda, of course thats my Ist question after volunteering..lol
at least thats what e officer agree on if I shoot, no b/w but that I take photos once outfield..

if u say yes, u slack off that training.

but ur friends wont be happy. u are not paid :p

Yah its all for e experience lor..hoping it'll be exciting..

V concerned abt risking own equipment..
Friends surely ^#^€ but they'll understand lah lol..

Anyone done it b4?:)

Ok, ask your CO for more info first.

1. Is any big shot coming? Ministers?
2. What is the nature of the exercise?
3. Personal safety
4. Security and Confidentiality? What cannot be shot?
5. Gather some tips from Pioneer magazine.

Hi guys, I may have chance to volunteer shoot for my unit ICT.

Anyone have experience, things to take note of, advice, etc..?thks

Or ITS A REALLY BAD IDEA..lol

go for it man.. once in a lifetime thing..

You can take all the photos you want in Taiwan for your own personal usage, just don't do it for your unit. Nobody will appreciate the effort you put into sai kang.

My 2 cents. Took plenty of photos both in Starlight and Wallaby myself.

Last edited:
Don't do it. All your buddies will think of you as a slacker and lazy-old-bast*rd. They will detest you and you will be ostracised forever after that ICT. If you accept the cameraman post just to avoid carrying weapons and the physical demands of training, then it means something is seriously wrong with you, as a soldier and male Singaporean. High Noon is nothing to be afraid of. I have done HN and more than that.

Last edited:
ricohflex is right.

ask yourself some further questions:

is it worth the risk of damaging your gear for the sake of not doing your soldierly duties?

do you want to be subject to the scrutiny of the officers and others for how good your images are?

you'll be at the beck and call and running all over for images.

are you willing to do all that and more?

frankly speaking i'd rather dig a shellscape than be the photographer

i wouldn't go that far to say that photographer = slacking lah...

digging shell-scrape is not exactly the most heroic kind of soldiering as well... if that was so, u would find lots of gallant soldiers at any construction site.

for sure, being the unit photographer is unappreciated sai kang. but someone has to do it. THAT is what soldiering is all about - you DON'T get to choose the sai kang all the time.

imo, i don't think its entirely slack also... the "risking your own equipment" part is totally valid. dust, mud, sudden downpour, etc etc. u will also have to do a fair bit of running around to get the shots u need. i don't think its that slack at all.

lastly, it may not be so clear cut whether u have to join the training if u're the photographer... the most frustrating scenario, they may ask u to draw everything AND bring your camera... they may pull u out to shoot once in awhile, but other times, u follow the rest. (it can be done and it has been done before)

its really your call whether u're willing to do it if u had a choice, or whether u're being definitively arrowed and u have no choice.

if it was me, and i could choose, i wouldn't want to do it.

Don't do it. All your buddies will think of you as a slacker and lazy-old-bast*rd. They will detest you and you will be ostracised forever after that ICT. If you accept the cameraman post just to avoid carrying weapons and the physical demands of training, then it means something is seriously wrong with you, as a soldier and male Singaporean. High Noon is nothing to be afraid of. I have done HN and more than that.

Ricoh I tink you should hold your horses, cause your comments are pretty laughable and childish.
where in my post did I ever mention I'm taking on the job to avoid carrying weapons and other training.
I've asked my officer abt the training part because I just wanna make sure he understands that it'll be unreasonable for me to both take pictures, and be expected to perform normal duties.

I'm willing to volunteer because I was hoping it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to take photos like those. EVEN if I'll not get to keep them or even view them much beyond my lcd screen.

Last edited:
ricohflex is right.

ask yourself some further questions:

is it worth the risk of damaging your gear for the sake of not doing your soldierly duties?

do you want to be subject to the scrutiny of the officers and others for how good your images are?

you'll be at the beck and call and running all over for images.

are you willing to do all that and more?

frankly speaking i'd rather dig a shellscape than be the photographer

My main concern is my equipment.
I hardly think ANYONE will be concerned with the quality of my photos, much less any officers, it'll be very much for personal satisfaction.
Yah I agree I may not be so cool with the 'beck n call' part though...

i wouldn't go that far to say that photographer = slacking lah...

digging shell-scrape is not exactly the most heroic kind of soldiering as well... if that was so, u would find lots of gallant soldiers at any construction site.

for sure, being the unit photographer is unappreciated sai kang. but someone has to do it. THAT is what soldiering is all about - you DON'T get to choose the sai kang all the time.

imo, i don't think its entirely slack also... the "risking your own equipment" part is totally valid. dust, mud, sudden downpour, etc etc. u will also have to do a fair bit of running around to get the shots u need. i don't think its that slack at all.

lastly, it may not be so clear cut whether u have to join the training if u're the photographer... the most frustrating scenario, they may ask u to draw everything AND bring your camera... they may pull u out to shoot once in awhile, but other times, u follow the rest. (it can be done and it has been done before)

its really your call whether u're willing to do it if u had a choice, or whether u're being definitively arrowed and u have no choice.
if it was me, and i could choose, i wouldn't want to do it.

To say I'll be Slacking is laughable because without saying whats my vocation, I'll be surely chiong sua alot more if I'm the photographer..lol
My thought was actually to do something worthwhile, like photographing, instead of slacking off over there...lol

"dust, mud, sudden downpour"oes sound unhealthy to a cam..hmm

Yah I tink I could be'pulled out once a while kind'.
Just wonder if it'll be exciting..

Last edited:
I'm willing to volunteer because I was hoping it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to take photos like those. EVEN if I'll not get to keep them or even view them much beyond my lcd screen.
I don't get what you meant by once in a lifetime opportunity, as I had mentioned previously we are allowed to take personal photos out in the field with our own cameras both in Starlight and Wallaby.

Last edited:
I don't get what you meant by once in a lifetime opportunity, as I had mentioned previously we are allowed to take personal photos out in the field with our own cameras both in Starlight and Wallaby.

No wor, we were told all handover to guardrm, only can take photos nites-off and R&R..

No wor, we were told all handover to guardrm, only can take photos nites-off and R&R..
Oh, what camp is that? Heng Chun, Hukou, Meilin? We have people bringing DSLRs and Laptops there perhaps times have changed or it could be one of those SAF 8th core value that people take for granted. :bsmilie:

Anyway get more condoms from he medical centre, you can use them to waterproof your equipments. :bsmilie:

I shot for my previous unit for our ETEP/ATEC but i continued to my part so the coverage wasnt continuous. Basically we had several shooters in all companies and it was a "part time job" with small cameras. I compiled the photos into a montage at the end of our 10 ICT and everyone loved it. It was really something that we could show the family what we do. Thing is the MSD thingy is strict so make sure u know what not to shoot (esp what is on the monitor, interior of vehicles, etc)

i misread guardrm as gundam hmm.

anyways, is it possible to get a negotiation? like u still be part of the ICT, just that u are also shooting?

It might sound doubly xiong, but thats what i probably would do to really get the upclose photos, rather than as a 3rd party photographer.