Ex-Film Photog, First DSLR: D5000/D90/D7000/D300s?

milesandcoltrane

Nov 9, 2010
Hi All!

I reckon there might be a number of threads like this but I'm just posting to field your general opinions so please bear with me.

I was an active hobbyist film photog a number of years ago. Took a number of photography classes since middle school till high school - documentary/street photography mostly and was really into it. Used to have my own darkroom and printed my own photos as well.

Unfortunately I had to move back to SG and lost touch with my passion for photography - lack of space, khakis etc.

I had brief brush with DSLRs about 3 years ago. Played around with a Nikon D70 and Canon EOS 400D and shot some projects for NGOs. Been wanting a DSLR ever since but never got down to it.

I've decided to take the first step and get my first piece of New Age gadgetry - time to get with the times I guess haha!

Based on my brief experience with the D70 and the EOS400D:

D70: controls quite accessible, nothing like an FM2 but still pretty good, felt pretty nice in my hand

EOS400D: too tiny for my gorilla like paws! Had to dig through multiple menus which I have an acute dislike for. Photos came out quite nice tho colours were a tad 'hyped' up.

Based on this, and my familarity with the Nikon brand I've decided to go with a Nikon! (no prizes for guessing haha!)

Of the current crop of cameras being offered I've whittled it down to the following:
D5000 - very, very affordable; too small for my hands; suspect I've to dig through menus
D90 - quite old but good track record, feels pretty good in my hands, decent price
D7000 - should be better than the D90 but (high) price puts it close to the D300, yet to feel it
D300s - LOVE the feel in my hands, a tad old, expensive (tried the D700 not the D300s, guy at the shop said exterior pretty much the same so pls take note)

I'm definitely going to get a Battery Grip for whichever camera I buy, I definitely need it to accomodate my hands. Taking that into consideration, the D90 and D7000 should be good I think (have to try to confirm). Even with a 3rd party grip I'm not too sure about the D5000. I suspect it might still be too small for me.

As you can see I REALLY value how a camera feels in my hand. This also includes the ability to press physicals buttons or controls to manipulate the camera rather than dig through multiple menus.

I prefer using a 50mm prime lens 98% of the time on my film cameras. Taking the 1.5X crop factor into account I'd probably buy the body only and pair it with the 35mm F1.8 DX lens (or maybe the F2 model if I feel an FX is on the horizon).

Please help gents! I would really appreciate any advice!
I don't want to spend too much, but it seems the cameras with a 'proper' feel (for me) are on the higher end of the scale.

Alternatively I've been thinking of heading to the Buy/Sell forums and maybe picking up a D70 or D80 for a dirt cheap price. Though buying second hand is a concern for me where electronics are concerned. And buying such an old model might turn me onto the upgrade path sooner than it makes economic sense.

Apologies for such a long post, but I had to write it all down!

Looking forward to your kinds words of wisdom!

You probably wouldn't want to consider D5000 not just becos of its size but simply becos it didn't have any built in motor in the body.

Maybe a full frame D700 or D3 might interest you with a 35mm film size equivalent sensor especially since you have hold one in your hand and love the feel?

Do you still have access to old Nikon lenses?

If you do, I recommend at least a D7000, D300s, or D700. Only these bodies and above are able to meter with older Ai and Ais lenses.

Hey, I got a D5000 and its a decent camera for me but for you, since you have that experience and all, maybe the D7000 or the D300s. The D300s controls are more accesible on the camera, so you might be familiar with it. IF you want more tech, than its the D7000. Im going for the D7000 myself later. Hope that helps.

Cheers! :D

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Unfortunately I don't have access to my old lenses at the moment (didn't have that many anyway). I might be going back for christmas so will have to do some searching. Had a 24mm F2, a 50mm F1.4 and a 85mm F?. Don't remember the specs are but they were some wonderful lenses!

In terms of cameras used, I've only had a few. Started out with a Nikon FM2n (predecessor to the FM3a) and stuck with it for most of the years. Only had manual focus and only added the handgrip (and auto advance ability) towards the end of its use. Before the handgrip, had to wind the frame forward after each shot! Those were the days!

I also had the pleasure of using my father's Nikon F5 then F6. AMAAZING! Still remember the sweet feel of holding those cameras!

Unfortunately I'm a little worried about going for a higher end model (D700 onwards). At the rate tech is advancing in DSLRs, its scary! With film cameras they never really became obsolete.

Since I'm worried about the rapid depreciation, would it be wiser to get a higher end model like the D700 or D300 second-hand? I'm a little worried about taking this route after speaking to a few full-time photogs. They tend to offload their wares after being beaten up in the field and the next buyer might be in for a surprise.

I guess I'm looking for a balanced approach, parting money wisely for a camera I would be able to use for a relatively long time to come (as much as the digital format allows despite the nature of the beast).

Thanks once again for all the inputs guys! Keep them coming!

In the meantime I'm going to do more research while maintaing a keen eye on the Buy/Sell Forums =)

If you come from film, then buy a full frame camera. D700 is a great camera. New body can get at 3.1k already.

If you do not require the high ISO requirement, the D200 in the BNS should fit you quite well in terms of price and size. And you can still meter with your old AI lenses.:thumbsup:

Hi, from what you have described, I think you should should definitely limit your choices to the D300s, D700 or if your budget allows, the D3. Getting a camera that feels right in your hands is important, right?

You're right about digital cameras depreciating fast, but think about this way: with film, there's arguable little depreciation, but you pay for film processing and scanning, which can add up quite quickly esp if you're trigger happy.

Alternatively, since you've already used the F5 and F6 and love it, why not get a second hand F series camera? I'm still shooting with my F6, and despite what they say about the D700 being a "digital F6", there is a clear difference in the handling imho. Those who have used both would know. Not to say film is superior, just that there hasn't quite been a DSLR that has felt perfect ergonomically to me la.

i too bother alot about how nice the gear feels in my hands. based on this, i d go for the d300/d700 series. ive held both with battery grip and it was as if my fingers din wanna let go of the camera! it just fits so well..

as a film user, i would say go up to the d700. but replacement is rumoured to be out next yr march.. might wanna wait for that. in the mean time you could use a d300s or if u don't need video, a d300 will be just fine.

Wow! Thanks for all the encouraging and quick replies guys!

Hmm the D200 with the Batt Grip looks interesting. Though it is a very old model. PM'd the seller for some details. Might be a good hold over till the replacement for the D700 comes out.

@zhaowei: I totally understand you bro! That's the reason I've been so slow to go digital. The earlier cameras were especially weak when compared to film cameras. Your solution has definitely crossed my mind before. I would love to get back into film. An F6 would be absolutely fantastic. Though costs for processing and digitizing are quite expensive no? You are right in saying that costs would add up. I would consider myself quiet measured and cautious when expending film but there are times when it's difficult to control oneself.

@Ben Ang: Yeah bro, the imminent D700 replacement is good news. Partly because I could get the new model. The flipside is prices of the D700 would head south and I could snap up a bargain. I see you have the D200 with you. How does it compare with the D300 and D700 based on your experience - in terms of feel? Would the handicapped specs of the D200 be a severe hindrance?

Wow! Thanks for all the encouraging and quick replies guys!

@Ben Ang: Yeah bro, the imminent D700 replacement is good news. Partly because I could get the new model. The flipside is prices of the D700 would head south and I could snap up a bargain. I see you have the D200 with you. How does it compare with the D300 and D700 based on your experience - in terms of feel? Would the handicapped specs of the D200 be a severe hindrance?

well.. i ve been using the d200 for about 4 years + and it hasn't let me down. the specs are good enough for the events, sports and golf i ve shot. though if u want super excellent iq, you gotta keep it down to iso400. i generally shoot up to 800 without 2nd thoughts, and have pushed to 3200 with decent results for online work.

it really depends on your shooting. imho, if you already have a d200, there's no point upgrading to the d300. the differences that really matter are AF speed and tracking, 100% vf and about 1 stop better iso. colour is different but thats subjective. differences just aren't big enough to wanna jump.

as for AF, i used to think the d200 wasn't too good, but i just got a couple of AF-S lenses and the AF is suddenly really really fast and accurate when i shot some field games. so i can't really comment too much. my biggest problems came with the tamron 17-50 2.8 wher af was slow and inaccurate.. but i think thats cos of the lens. with my af-s 17-35, its spot on all the time.

the feel of the d200 alone is about there with the d300. difference is with the grip. d200 grip is plastic n doesnt feel as nice. abit of creaking even.

up to the d700, no contest. it what ive been wanting to step up to. but since the new release is close, im just gonna wait. for me, the only thing i really want in the new model is a 100% viewfinder and fullframe. video might be fun to play with, but not really. so if the new model doesn't have the 100%, i might just get a d700 instead.

so for me, by waiting afew months(ok, i ve been saving for over a year alrd), i either get the newest, or get what i want at a cheaper price depending on what happens. you could pick up at d200 and familiarise with the button layout.. you probably wont loose more than $100 after resale..

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies guys!

Unfortunately I don't have access to my old lenses at the moment (didn't have that many anyway). I might be going back for christmas so will have to do some searching. Had a 24mm F2, a 50mm F1.4 and a 85mm F?. Don't remember the specs are but they were some wonderful lenses!

Unfortunately I'm a little worried about going for a higher end model (D700 onwards). At the rate tech is advancing in DSLRs, its scary! With film cameras they never really became obsolete.

Since I'm worried about the rapid depreciation, would it be wiser to get a higher end model like the D700 or D300 second-hand? I'm a little worried about taking this route after speaking to a few full-time photogs. They tend to offload their wares after being beaten up in the field and the next buyer might be in for a surprise.

I guess I'm looking for a balanced approach, parting money wisely for a camera I would be able to use for a relatively long time to come (as much as the digital format allows despite the nature of the beast).

Probably you might want to consider the D300s if you want a current one. Get a 2nd hand one if you want to save a bit of money.
D200 from the 2nd hand market if you want something even cheaper. I have a friend who is still producing many wonderful photos with his D200.

btw, nikon finally making its own sensor and the 2 most recent bodies, D3100 and D7000 have it. No news yet but they are probably going to give the D300s, D700, D3s, D3x an update in the near future. The "life expectancy" of a nikon current model is about 2+years.

With this you probably have a more informed choices.

Probably you might want to consider the D300s if you want a current one. Get a 2nd hand one if you want to save a bit of money.
D200 from the 2nd hand market if you want something even cheaper. I have a friend who is still producing many wonderful photos with his D200.

btw, nikon finally making its own sensor and the 2 most recent bodies, D3100 and D7000 have it. No news yet but they are probably going to give the D300s, D700, D3s, D3x an update in the near future. The "life expectancy" of a nikon current model is about 2+years.

With this you probably have a more informed choices.

D7k is sony sensor. shared with A55 and K-5. but yup, rest should be updated next yr.. exp maybe d3x

Many thanks for all your inputs Ben and coolthoughts!
Really appreciate it!

Heading over to the Nikon Service Centre to play with all the goodies during lunch later.
But for now I'm keen on either the d200 or d300. Price wise with pending updates to the d700 I'd like to keep the price as low as possible or maintain minimal loss at resale.

Just one more thing to add I'll probably be shooting with either the 35mm f1.8 or f2d lens 95% of the time. No zooms for me as I really dislike shooting with zooms. Might get a 20/24mm and an 80+ in e distant future. But for the next year or two I will be shooting with a fast 35mm lens.

With that in mind would the f1.8 or f2 35mm nikkor enable low light shooting with the d200? I tend to enjoy shoptig at night sometimes so its an important consideration if I can't get good results at high iso on the d200.

if budget is ur concern, get a d90 and pair it up with faster lenses.

afterall, lenses r better investment than a body...tat least tat's how i feel...
a body might not affect how ur pics turn out, but a faster lense definitely can

Many thanks for all your inputs Ben and coolthoughts!
Really appreciate it!

Heading over to the Nikon Service Centre to play with all the goodies during lunch later.
But for now I'm keen on either the d200 or d300. Price wise with pending updates to the d700 I'd like to keep the price as low as possible or maintain minimal loss at resale.

Just one more thing to add I'll probably be shooting with either the 35mm f1.8 or f2d lens 95% of the time. No zooms for me as I really dislike shooting with zooms. Might get a 20/24mm and an 80+ in e distant future. But for the next year or two I will be shooting with a fast 35mm lens.

With that in mind would the f1.8 or f2 35mm nikkor enable low light shooting with the d200? I tend to enjoy shoptig at night sometimes so its an important consideration if I can't get good results at high iso on the d200.

Both will give you good results.. difference is in price ($50-80) and the fact that the 35 f2 will let u upgrade to fullframe. and you ll be able to use the f2 on film if u ever step there.

for me i m using a pre AI 35 f2. got for $100 in pretty used condition. but the output is still first class. 35 is a very nice fl. took over my 50 1.2 which now sits in a corner quite abit waiting for the jump to ff..

Sadly I was not able to visit the Nikon Service Centre today =( Had to grab a quick lunch but payed a visit to the camera stores near my office. Today I only focused on comparing the D90 and the D300s. Sadly was unable to try both with the battery grip because the salesman realised I was not buying today.

I'd say the D300s build quality was definitely obvious (although the D700 I tried at John 3:16 definitely felt better, maybe FX induced placebo haha). But I realised that the D90 was no slouch either. Definitely prefer the D300s but if I was forced to live with the D90 I realised it isn't as bad as say the D5000 or the chintzy Canon EOS4XX/5XX bodies.

At this point in time, as you guys mentioned above, investing in lenses would be a better bet.

Thanks for the advice ijnek! And many thanks Ben Ang! You guys have been great help. Ditto on going with the 35mm F2 glass. Would definitely like to move up to FX when I'm more well-versed in the digital realm and when I really have time, the ability to cross perform on my film bodies is a sweet bonus for sure!

I'm going to keep a look out for a used D90 with Battery Grip on the forums (quite a number available I must say) as well as that D200 (waiting on seller to reply to PM).

frankly, on the BnS, i hv not seen much good price for the d90 kit...
mayb when d7000 is out, the rush would b even more

I'm also anticipating a drop in the street prices for a brand new D90 once the D7000 hits the shelves.

What would be a good price for the D90 body in a used condition ijnek?

The ones on the BnS are in the 1000 range andbundled with a Battery Grip. Some with and some without warranty. I definitely need to get a Battery Grip so the deals are good in that sense. Price-wise I'm not too sure though.

dear 'milesandcoltrane',

may I just find out your approximate budget, and what you intend to buy with this moolah? ;)
that will give us a better idea about what to recommend.

I concur with you about Nikon ergonomics being superior! :D