Evolution of CS

lobsterkia

Aug 25, 2011
I have been lurking around this forum for a few years.

Learnt alot from the ppl around here .

But recently ,I noticed a trend of this forum . . made me register as a member so that I can post my views on what I observed.

Do every newbie has to go through the process of "ask and get foxtrotted" ?

Seems that there are a few self appointed police around whose job is to foxtrot every newbie's question.

What may seem basic to some ,is chim stuff for another .

nice what. dancing is courteous and requires loads of skill

foxtrot

either way, dun see a point with the question. has been asked, has been answered. all forums have this. no need to whip a dead horse.

there are clear house rules with regards to the "google first". i believe its actually in the rules that all should search first, before posting their question

2. New Posters (newbies) - Use the Search Engine to find out if whatever information you are seeking has been posted before posting a question.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/63954-ClubSNAP-s-Updated-Terms-of-Use

so there u have it.

and more
How to ask a question

Last edited:

But recently ,I noticed a trend of this forum . . made me register as a member so that I can post my views on what I observed.

Seems that there are a few self appointed police around whose job is to foxtrot every newbie's question.

you're not the only one and there will always be another.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/933605-The-kind-of-attitude-growing-here

[URL]http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/903936-Don-t-Become-a-Forum-Bully-and-Suggestions-on-Proper-Forum-Etiquette
[/URL]

Just a forum. Take it with a pinch of salt.:)
Life difficult~ struggling to make both ends meet.... So stress which Tan-'s to vote for.... :p:p:p

So take it easy, if u see any post(s) not 'eye-smoothing', ignore and click away... No need waste 'further' time, replying....

Wahaaa.... *blush*... OT...

Mod: pls dun bann me.... :(

You said you have been reading this forum for a few years, but only now than decided to sign up and start posting,

Hope you can participate more meaningful discussions, I'm sure you can help make this place a better place by helping the newbies answering their questions.

Hey lobsterkia, browsing through newbies section and saw some posts of yours. I regret how some members treated you but going about being confrontational since is not the way. If you must fight the fight, fight bad information with good information. Some of our older members, myself included, are quite set in our ways and attempts to change us are futile. :) Your energies are better spent on more fruitful endeavours. Drop by Critique Corner and offer a critique if you haven't already. I'll see you there. ;)

Hey lobsterkia, browsing through newbies section and saw some posts of yours. I regret how some members treated you but going about being confrontational since is not the way. If you must fight the fight, fight bad information with good information. Some of our older members, myself included, are quite set in our ways and attempts to change us are futile. :) Your energies are better spent on more fruitful endeavours. Drop by Critique Corner and offer a critique if you haven't already. I'll see you there. ;)

some but not all... i think there still some sane ones... who will offer good information and advice.

Totally agreed with you, TS. These self proclaimed "police" or so called "old timer" just can't stop trolling. If you think it is stupid question, just ignore it, why must you keep "flaming" the person who asked the question?

Totally Agreed. No wonder most people only come here for Bns only. I learnt more from Malaysia forum.

"Be the change you want to see."

Yes, agreed with edutilos,

you don't have to be super knowledgeable, or experienced in many genres of photography, or able to shoot fantastic photos,

all you need is have a lot of free time, good patience, Google the answers and reply them. and you will be surprise that you will learn a lot by helping them.

As a matter of fact, one will learn much more (than those HOLY google/search-the-bloody-net-chanters) when u actually went and search for answers which are asked by others (be it repeated questions or not)...

If I really think the question being asked is redundant or TS is lazy to search for simple answer, just ignored and look at other threads, then they will LL have to find other ways. Repeating "search google, search google" oh pls, go KMFA.

You don't go to a beggar and tell them, "hey, go look for job."

Some people like to talk a lot about change being needed, and find the energy within themselves to often recap this constantly everytime a FAQ thread pops up. Sadly, it is all talk and negativity and I must say that no value is added by such actions.

Suggest that TS can be a better role model, and be the change that he wants to see. You don't have to reply to every newbie thread, but if you add positively, doesn't matter how many negative people there are around, you have done your part. You can only control yourself in life, assuming that you can tell 8000 Clubsnappers to change is like getting 800 cats to dance the can-can at the same time. Wait long long lor. :bsmilie:

Probably these people like to increase their posts by turning TS thread to a random thread and of cause there is totally no value except for self entertaining. If one want to do so, join the kopitiam random thread instead...

I cannot imagine what information the search engine in the forum will return when one do a search next time if this behavior goes on.

Last edited:
You said you have been reading this forum for a few years, but only now than decided to sign up and start posting,

Hope you can participate more meaningful discussions, I'm sure you can help make this place a better place by helping the newbies answering their questions.

Will do more answering

This has been ongoing for a long while already. CS is getting more like popularity contest each day... I noticed that probably 90-95% are actually using CS for B&S and prob looking at pricelist. The real contributors are really low in numbers and quality. I do missed the old days when some good critiques are around.

This has been ongoing for a long while already. CS is getting more like popularity contest each day... I noticed that probably 90-95% are actually using CS for B&S and prob looking at pricelist. The real contributors are really low in numbers and quality. I do missed the old days when some good critiques are around.

I wouldn't know the real demographics for this forum, for example ratio of professionals, skilled photographers, beginners and enthusiast etc. But I think the latter 2 dominate the topic discussions. Professionals chip in at times but someone should really get the skilled photographers to open up and contribute in the general forums. A lot of them seem to just shoot, post pics and say thanks to "nice pic!".

I'm not sure if it's something the mods or admins would want to take up as a forum initiative. It might have to be one or some members who try instead. Speaking from personal experience and not to toot my own horn, previously there was a low period in Critique Corner where I was quite a frequent poster in there. Eventually I posted a thread in Feedback asking for more support and now happily there are many more members participating, sharing and learning.

So this forum is not just a place where we come in and chit chat, but also a place where if you feel strongly enough you should take action. Responsible and constructive action, I must clarify.

I wouldn't know the real demographics for this forum, for example ratio of professionals, skilled photographers, beginners and enthusiast etc. But I think the latter 2 dominate the topic discussions. Professionals chip in at times but someone should really get the skilled photographers to open up and contribute in the general forums. A lot of them seem to just shoot, post pics and say thanks to "nice pic!".

I'm not sure if it's something the mods or admins would want to take up as a forum initiative. It might have to be one or some members who try instead. Speaking from personal experience and not to toot my own horn, previously there was a low period in Critique Corner where I was quite a frequent poster in there. Eventually I posted a thread in Feedback asking for more support and now happily there are many more members participating, sharing and learning.

So this forum is not just a place where we come in and chit chat, but also a place where if you feel strongly enough you should take action. Responsible and constructive action, I must clarify.
at what stage is one a skilled photographer?

as far as i see, there are many self-proclaimed sifus who give wrong information. try to correct them, u see them and their clique come in and chow u down, and eventually claiming "its a matter of opinion" when they realised they got no way out.

i think... there is a limit to what can be done to CS. at least the 1st friday at SAM project is going well, which is a platform for sharing.

beyond that, maybe look beyond CS to learn. there are other platforms for interaction and sharing of ideas :) anyone who is interested/serious in this hobby will seek those alternatives out sooner or later i guess.

at what stage is one a skilled photographer?

as far as i see, there are many self-proclaimed sifus who give wrong information. try to correct them, u see them and their clique come in and chow u down, and eventually claiming "its a matter of opinion" when they realised they got no way out.

i think... there is a limit to what can be done to CS. at least the 1st friday at SAM project is going well, which is a platform for sharing.

beyond that, maybe look beyond CS to learn. there are other platforms for interaction and sharing of ideas :) anyone who is interested/serious in this hobby will seek those alternatives out sooner or later i guess.

Skilled ah? Anyone who deems themselves advanced beyond beginner level for a start... It's an individual status and being truthful to yourself. One can still be learning, but also skilled enough comfortably execute your craft with technique etc. There are many photographers here who constantly turn out pleasant and well-crafted photos. There's definitely a few I can name from Portraits & Poses gallery alone, but unfortunately do not seem to venture much beyond. I can understand that perhaps they just really want to take photos and nothing else, but I don't think anyone has also tried to engage them in anything else either.

It can't be because there are some bad hats so automatically it's a wasted effort. I think the limit is only what one makes of it. I was not there at the SAM project, so I can't comment. Seeking knowledge from alternatives is almost like a brain drain. How many members who learnt a skill somewhere else in turn came back to CS to share their findings (I don't think posting links count)? It doesn't have to be a major event like gatherings or talks that cost money, my opinion just simple interaction online is what's most lacking.

Of course there's other venues of learning, but that just reinforces the feeling that CS is superfluous or really just a place to B&S. Isn't that why there's people lamenting for lost times and MIA members? Was there a previous episode where some members weren't happy here so they formed their own forum? Well I know CS doesn't stop anyone from leaving, and always upholds the image of a open friendly place since its conception. I have no dream of changing that but am not opposed to the idea of advancing of what it can offer. It may not really be a official Clubsnap move but again, as long as it isn't destructive I see no reason why it will go against the wishes of CS admin. What exactly are some ideas I don't really have a clue, that's open to the floor.

Members need to partake an initiative and thus gain a responsibility and ownership in the forum. CS mods and admins are busy people, don't always leave it up to them to take charge. Most times a collective of individual effort is what it takes to get a massive ball rolling, a wait-and-see / not-my-pa-sar approach will just doom us.

Last edited:
Members need to partake an initiative and thus gain a responsibility and ownership in the forum. CS mods and admins are busy people, don't always leave it up to them to take charge. Most times a collective of individual effort is what it takes to get a massive ball rolling, a wait-and-see / not-my-pa-sar approach will just doom us.

got la. the ganbatte japan was one of those cases where both the members, mods and admins all planning the same idea at the same time. it ended up having 2 groups (members and the mod team) merging together to do 1 project. i think if u search closer, there was a thread that was on members wanting to do something and end up joining together.

for me, how feasible is it for the standards of CS to be upped? :) not easy. photography has been popularized and made so easily accessible that many newcomers think it is easy. coupled with the fact no one likes to be criticised, it makes teaching harder. afterall, wanting to learn is a 2 way road. people can want to teach, want to help improve, but if others are not willing to accept, its also tough. u eventually arrive at a situation where not many newbies take photography seriously anymore. i think this is the key reason why some older members decided to lie low.

am i saying that all is doom and gloom? no not really. once in a while, a nice newcomer will come by and want to learn. then we can only try our best to help as much as we can.
there are still nice members, whom i look up to and respect. they are less active on the forum, but drop them a PM or an sms, they will still reply with good advice.