Every LEICA X2 Tells a Story!

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
The name 'Leica' sometimes conjurers reviewers to parallel names of the most exotic racing car marquees, and I figured, what better time to release this review just as Singapore goes into a super-charged turbo-boost of adrenaline during F1 weekend!

LEICA X2 - Every Moment Tells a Story

X2_Silver_638_1000.jpg

X2_Silver_Back_637_1000.jpg

Last edited:

LEICA X2 - For the Sheer Joy of Photography

1st_Image_700.jpg

The compact Leica X2 makes each moment something truly special - and captures them in brilliant picture quality.

This is guaranteed by its new image sensor and the truly classical focal length of its high-performance Leica lens. In terms of 35 mm photography,
the lens of the Leica X2 has a focal length of 35 mm - the classic lens for photojournalism. For snapshots or painstakingly arranged compositions,
its intuitive handling makes it easier than ever before to take true-to-life Leica pictures.

2nd_Image_700.jpg

3rd_Image_700.jpg

4th_Image_700.jpg

The Leica X2 is the perfect camera for anyone with a passion for photography in its purest form. This includes the photographer who works under the pseudonym Hoveeto, who has lived in Paris since the age of five. His greatest passion is capturing the cultural diversity of his home city, in which he finds new inspiration every day.​

Outstanding image quality

5th_Image_700.jpg

The true greatness of the Leica X2 lies in its outstanding image quality. For its compact size, the camera features an impressively large,
professional APS-C CMOS image sensor with a high resolution of more than 16 megapixels.

In combination with its high-performance Leica Elmarit 24 mm f/2.8 ASPH. lens, this guarantees exposures with extremely low image noise,
a high dynamic range and accurate colour differentiation. The outcome: images of superior brilliance - down to even the tiniest details.

Made in Germany

6th_Image_700.jpg

Reminiscent of the traditional M-Design, the X2 is a camera to fall in love with - not only due to its captivating looks,
but also its wonderful feel in your hands. It is so inviting to hold that you may never want to put it down!.

The X2 is constructed, by hand, in the Leica factory from high-quality materials and passes through the most stringent quality assurance and precision testing
at every stage of the production process. This makes the Leica X2 the one and only digital compact camera made in Germany.

Instantaneous reaction - the autofocus

7th_Image_700.jpg

The X2's new autofocus enables fast, extremely precise and virtually silent focusing. Ideal for situations where spontaneous reactions are essential.
It adapts flexibly to the situation, for example with the choice of the number of AF focusing segments and face recognition. This allows photographers to completely concentrate on their subjects. The Leica X2 is much more than just a camera. It is an expression of the sheer joy of photography.

High-quality accessories

8th_Image_700.jpg

The Leica X2 can be flexibly adapted to each photographer's individual needs with a range of intelligently designed and versatile accessories especially for the camera.
The dedicated accessory range currently includes two viewfinders for the hot shoe, a flash unit, a camera protector, a handgrip and a hand strap.
In addition, a range of excellently finished cases and bags offer perfect protection for the camera.​

All images courtesy of LEICA

LEICA X2 - Technical Data

Lens: Leica Elmarit 24 mm f/2.8 ASPH.: 8 elements in 6 groups, 1 aspheric element.

Focal length: 24 mm (35 mm fi lm equivalent).

Apertures: 2.8 to 16 (1/3-EV increments).

Focusing range: 30 cm – infinity.

AF focusing: 1 point, 11 points, spot, face detection.

Image sensor: 16.5 MP, APS-C, CMOS image sensor (effective 16.2 MP).

Resolution: JPEG in 3:2 format: 4928 x 3264 pixels (16.1 MP), 4288 x 2856 pixels (12.2 MP), 3264 x 2160 pixels (7.1 MP),
2144 x 1424 pixels (3.1 MP), 1632 x 1080 pixels (1.8 MP). DNG in 3:2 format: 4944 x 3272 pixels (16.2 MP).

Image quality: JPEG super fine, JPEG fine, DNG + JPEG super fine, DNG + JPEG fi ne.

Exposure control
Exposure modes: Automatic program (P), automatic aperture priority (A), automatic shutter priority (S), manual setting (M).

Exposure compensation Gradation: 1/3 EV increments, range: ± 3 EV.

Automatic exposure bracketing: 1/3 to 3 EV increments, 3 exposures.

Metering modes: Smart multizone metering, center-weighted metering, selective (spot) metering.

White balance: Auto, daylight, tungsten, fluorescent, cloudy, shade, electronic flash, 2 manual settings, manual color temperature setting with fine tuning.

Sensitivity: Auto, ISO 100, ISO 200, ISO 400, ISO 800, ISO 1600, ISO 3200, ISO 6400, ISO 12500.

Shutter speeds: 30 s to 1/2000 s.

Continuous shooting: 3 fps or 5 fps, max. 8 consecutive exposures with constant shooting speed in DNG + JPEG fine quality.

Exposure modes: Standard, dynamic, natural, b/w natural, b/w high contrast.

Flash
Modes: Auto, flash exposure correction, red-eye correction, fill-in fl ash, slow sync, studio, 1st/2nd curtain sync.

Hot shoe: Compatible with Leica SF 24D, Leica SF 58 flash units.

Monitor: 2.7"-TFT LCD with 230,000 pixels, wide-angle field of view: 100 %.

Playback modes: 16 thumbnails, single frame, magnify (16 x max.), image rotation, deletion protection.

Storage media: Internal memory: approx. 110 MB. Memory cards: SD, SDHC, SDXC.

Interfaces: HDMI out, USB (USB 2.0 high-speed).

Battery: (lithium-ion) Capacity: approx. 450 exposures.

Dimensions: (L × H × D) Approx. 124 x 69 x 51.5 mm (4.88 x 2.72 x 2.03 in).

Weight: Approx. 316 g/345 g (11.15 oz/12.17 oz) without/with battery.

Package includes: Battery (Leica BP-DC8), battery charger (Leica BC-DC8), battery case, leather carrying strap, USB cable,
lens cap, user manual.

Software Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® (free download option after camera registration).

Leica Camera AG - Photography - X2

This is just the launch of the review, and there will be more photos taken with the LEICA X2 with a local context featured as time goes by.

Last edited:
WF2U5498_46_WMDM_Med.jpg

Before featuring some photos, in case you're wondering, the X2 is like a very different camera in terms of the way it handles AF duties, higher ISO speeds as well as battery life. Unfortunately, I did not have the older X1 to compare the X2 with, but do look around as there are many detailed reviews comparing the two, and other camera models as well.

I approached this unique camera as an 'Everyday Casual User', someone who just grabs the camera and wants to take very high quality shots on the fly, with no hassle and stopped thinking of the technicalities of the camera. And literally, that was what I did, to the point where it was just me, the X2 and nothing else (except for one segment of photos where I needed to clamp the camera down). To take that approach further, with the exception of setting a +1/3 EV by default (the X2's metering I suspect uses a different reference for standard grey), I used the X2 on PROGRAM Mode most of the time!

PROGRAM MODE

WF2U5501_36_WMDM_Med.jpg

By the way, these are the settings if you go on to other modes.

Aperture Priority

WF2U5502_36_WMDM_Med.jpg

Shutter Speed Priority

WF2U5507_36_WMDM_Med.jpg

Manual

WF2U5523_36_WMDM_Med.jpg

SIMPLICITY - In terms of someone new to a Leica Digital camera, again, simplicity is the key point with their user interfaces or menus. As mentioned in my Leica M9-P review (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/revi...review-leica-noctilux-m-50mm-f-0-95-asph.html), unlike some other camera models which presents thousands of menu options, possibly in confusing arrangements, the X2 has made life easier for all with it's straight-forward menus which are more than enough for most users to adjust.

BATTERY - After reading things about the X1's battery life, I was very pleasantly surprised to know that with the X2, I can shoot for more than half a day, using the LCD to view, compose, review all the way, and still have at least 20% battery life remaining (approx). In terms of actual number of photographs taken (with lots of chimping!), that equates to about 400+ images with battery remaining. Not bad. This reminds me of the S2 review I did (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/reviews/1043886-perfection-has-name-leica-s2-review.html) where product shoots or interior shoots lasted more than half a day still left me with more than 30% remaining battery life.

SPEED - In terms of start-up and shut-down times, the X2 is a little slow in actual use. Not that it really bothered me as I kept the X2 on stand-by almost all of the time while walking around (which also testifies well for the battery life).

The shooting speed on Continuous mode is NOT affected by the image quality you choose. Therefore, you can choose the largest setting which is RAW and super fine JPEG, and it still fires at the specified FPS till the buffer is full.

Last edited:
ISO, LENSE and IMAGE QUALITY - I pushed the X2 - right up to ISO 125000! I pushed the lens to the point where no casual user would dream of taking it. And I asked of the X2, the best image quality it could muster. In terms of what a casual camera does, for ME, the X2 surpasses these three areas. Again, this is for ME. Different users might have very different expectations.

WF2U5539_46_WMDM_Med.jpg

Completely aside, I really liked the fact that the X2 designers have put in a lot of thought in designing a camera so simple, yet with great conveniences like this little gem! What it does is prevent camera strap lugs from scratching the body! Simple, yet genius!

WF2U5526_46_Med.jpg

Personally, I like the retro styling of the X2, and the new flash is kinda cute actually, besides being a little higher than the X1!

WF2U5534_46_WMDM_Med.jpg

WF2U5536_45_WMDM_Med.jpg

And to end this little segment on the features of the X2, a photo of the ports - HDMI and USB.

WF2U5533_46_WMDM_Med.jpg

Last edited:
Leica Camera shares something with countless people around the world: a love of, and a passion for, photography.

It’s the fascination of capturing a moment in time; shaping it, transforming it into something timeless, and experiencing it again and again as a unique photograph. This is what has driven Leica for almost 100 years.

We create cameras using the highest quality materials and assemble them meticulously by hand, so that every Leica delivers unwavering reliability and quality over a lifetime. Whether it’s used professionally, artistically or simply out of the joy of documenting life, one thing connects all Leica cameras: they all help the photographer to concentrate on the essentials – a great photograph.

Each device is a small masterpiece. Leica cameras are compact, ageless, elegant, easy to use and yet uncompromising in their optical, mechanical and technical quality. They are the perfect tools for anyone who understands the fascination of photography and who appreciates a unique photograph. - taken from the X2 brochure.

I think one of the joys of using a camera like the X2 lies in it's total ease and perhaps one of the areas of photography most likely to be connected with the image of 'Leica' are streets and candids, so what better way to kick off this than to feature photos taken with these in mind!

Please note that these photos are mixed, with some showing a colour and B&W equivalent, mostly taken on P mode, with some on Aperture Priority mode.

Always feel like someone's watching me!

L9871096_46V_1000.jpg

L9870845_46_WMDM_1000.jpg

L9870854_46V_WMDM_1000.jpg

L9870855_66V_WMDM_1000.jpg

L9430049_46_WMDM_1000.jpg

Last edited:
Even construction ducts need to be 'branded' along Orchard Road!

L9870890_46V_WMDM_1000.jpg

L9871704_46_WMDM_1000.jpg

L9870907_46V_WMDM_1000.jpg

L9430036_46V_1000.jpg

L9871696_46_WMDM_1000.jpg

Last edited:
L9871830_46V_1000.jpg

L9871859_46V_1000.jpg

L9871897_46_1000.jpg

L9871904_46V_1000.jpg

L9871917_46V_1000.jpg

Last edited:
L9872078_46V_1000.jpg

L9872066_46V_1000.jpg

L9872012_46_1000.jpg

Besides the stellar performance of the German made Leica Elmarit 24mm f/2.8 Asph. with 8 lens elements in 6 groups and 1 aspherical surface, like the Leica S2, Auto WB on these Leicas are virtually spot-on, perhaps with just a hint of warmness, which can be very attractive.

Please note that the lens on the X2 does not show physical vignetting. All photos have been processed, and some vignetting was added in post for some photos.

Last edited:
I like the way the X2 renders colours. I also like the way the X2 allows me to convert files to Black & White, with toning in mind. Some slight vignetting may have been added in post.

BLACK & WHITE STREETS & CANDIDS

L9430025_46BWV_WMDM_1000.jpg

L9430075_46BWV_WMDM_1000.jpg

L9870886_46BWV_WMDM_1000.jpg

L9870016_46_V_Final_1000.jpg

Very first day I had the X2. Not so familiar with the AF - Slightly OOF.

L9430058_46BWV_WMDM_1000.jpg

Last edited:
This is the B&W version for comparison to the colour one posted in #8.

L9870890_46BWV_WMDM_1000.jpg

News!

L9870870_46BWV_WMDM_1000.jpg

Shopping!

L9870949_46VBW_WMDM_1000.jpg

L9871037_46BWV_WMDM_1000.jpg

Starting Young!

L9870978_46BWV_WMDM_1000.jpg

Last edited:
L9870901_46BWV_WMDM_1000.jpg

Thanks to the Lovely Lass for letting me take her tatts!

Girl_on_Orchard_X2_WMDM_Med1.jpg

Super fast grab! Wrong exposure, and had to bring up the levels quite a lot. Hence the additional noise on the girls.

L9871163_46BWV_WMDM_1000.jpg

L9871679_46BWV_WMDM_1000.jpg

L9871723_46BWV_WMDM_1000.jpg

On the whole, initial impressions of the X2 shooting Streets and Candids was a pleasure!

Shoot on Program, or Auto priority, and with the fast auto-focus, the X2 simply let's you make pictures!

L9872066_46BWV_1000.jpg

L9872060_46BWV_1000.jpg

Longings ...

L9872019_46BWV_1000.jpg

That concludes this part of random Streets and Candids with the X2.

Coming soon will be other explorations with the X2 and some tests. :)

Ray, I really can't speculate about the LCD, but in practice, like the S2 I reviewed, I soon forgot about the lower-speced LCD screen on the S2 and X2 because the represented WB and colours so well, it was quite a pleasure to use. The only 'deficiency' I found was when using the highest ISO and reviewing the photos. They looked quite a bit grainier than when put on my computer.

Perhaps it's a case of 'under-promise' on LCD and 'Over-Deliver' on computer? I've heard of some cameras with screens so hi-res, that focus points which looked really sharp on the LCD were in fact OOF on computer.

Last edited:
Any more pics and people will really go buy one to try to get these images.

Pls remind them that it's really not the camera! :sweatsm: