Status
Not open for further replies.

nickmak

Apr 16, 2004
London, UK
www.pbase.com
Hi,

I was experimenting the other day on this:

I took my mp3 player, filled it with classical music, mainly classical music, especially those from the romantic period and the early 20th century music and took my camera out to shoot yesterday. I put my headphones on and turned up the classical music. I sat down for 5 minutes and closed my eyes to listen to the music intently (For the classical musicians here like me, I was listening to Debussy's Reflets dans l'eau) then after that open my eyes and started to look around. I found out that with the classical music on, I looked at an environment that seemed so bland in a different view. Is it the music that made it like this? :think:

Oh, and if this works, the perfect music for shooting sinister type pictures would be Carl Orff's 'O Fortuna' from Carmina Burana. For those who don't know this, go and see those horror film trailers and this music is definitely there!

Could music have an effect on my photography? :think:

Cheers,
Nick

When I'm shooting alone, I'll listen to songs on my iPod... no particular genre... I set my 2000+ songs in the iPod to random... no repeat at all...

Does it have any effect on my shooting? At least I feel like watching MTV all the time when I watch the world go by... Helps me 'see' things my way... ;)

I've not seen any photogs plugging in to their walkman/ discman/ MD etc when they shoot in S'pore though... mebbe I've not seen enough?? :)

Jia Wang said:
When I'm shooting alone, I'll listen to songs on my iPod... no particular genre... I set my 2000+ songs in the iPod to random... no repeat at all...

Does it have any effect on my shooting? At least I feel like watching MTV all the time when I watch the world go by... Helps me 'see' things my way... ;)

I've not seen any photogs plugging in to their walkman/ discman/ MD etc when they shoot in S'pore though... mebbe I've not seen enough?? :)
Hehe... well, I think classical music has an inspirational quality within its interweaving sounds, whether monophonic or polyphonic (Sorry I'm using musical terminology... Classically trained pianist here so please bear with me! :sweatsm: ) I don't know how to explain it but its not words from the songs but the abstract nature of the music. Especially the impressionist style of music (Listen to lots of Debussy and you'll get what I mean ;) ) I tried pop music but it does nothing for my inspiration... hehe... LOL! :bsmilie:

nickmak said:
Hehe... well, I think classical music has an inspirational quality within its interweaving sounds, whether monophonic or polyphonic (Sorry I'm using musical terminology... Classically trained pianist here so please bear with me! :sweatsm: ) I don't know how to explain it but its not words from the songs but the abstract nature of the music. Especially the impressionist style of music (Listen to lots of Debussy and you'll get what I mean ;) ) I tried pop music but it does nothing for my inspiration... hehe... LOL! :bsmilie:

I think I know what u mean... I play the guitar (classical & folk & trying to play jazz as well), but I've never been a theory person... Play better by ear...

But I agree with u... music has a certain abstractness that do have an effect on our mental state... majority of my music are instrumental (guitar of course), but even when i listen to songs, I pay no attention to the lyrics, but just the melody...

There's been lots of studies already done on how baroque music can stimulate brain activities for foetuses... even plants and cows, when fed with classical music are deemed to grow better as well... Perhaps u might like to further study into the effects on photographers who listens to music when they shoot? ;p

Cheers... :)

Sion said:
When I shoot I like to have the noise of traffic at the background keeping it true to reality.
:bsmilie:

Actually that's what I try not to hear...

:bsmilie:

Well, it all makes different people! :)

Jia Wang said:

OT a bit here... what happens if ur IPod battery dies? u can't change it urself right? meaning it's back to apple? *Baring the fact tat batteries do dies or looses it's charges overtime*

Well, it's me and me good old disc man when I feel like shotting alone... will pop in any music tat suits the mood or MY mood or serves as a good memory container... and yes the feel is entiry different when u are shooting with music on isolating, tat's only Me, myself, Ross and I in my world... :angel:

RossChang said:
OT a bit here... what happens if ur IPod battery dies? u can't change it urself right? meaning it's back to apple? *Baring the fact tat batteries do dies or looses it's charges overtime*

My iPod's with me for the past 2.5 years... batt can last approx 5 hrs or so... used to last me 8hrs... No problems so far...

If it dies, only Apple can replace the batt... but I might get a new one by then... cos' it's not cheap to replace one lor... :confused: I'll keep the old one as i can still plug in the power and play it in my office... my music never dies... ;p

from what i read over at http://www.macuser.org.sg/, when your ipod batt dies, you got to get a new ipod
no batt replacement is possible

RossChang said:

Status
Not open for further replies.