Ever felt shy taking out your camera infront of other photographers?

Haha, I think this problem only occur to ammatures like me.. Do you feel shy when you see other photographers carrying better camera or look more professional in front of you and even made you move to another subject to shoot instead...??

I used to feel that when I first got my DSLR, now not so much... But if someone is carrying freaking large gears, I've got a feeling of getting bullied.. LOL... ;p

I will not, because camera is relatively less important (note: is still important) compare to the person who carry it. I found out there is someone carry a basic dslr with kit lens, and the photo he get is better then me (even I'm also using basic dslr, but at least I got a Tamron f2.8). This makes me feel shameful...

errr this depends on what ur trying to do. Are you about buying expensive camera toys or are you about capturing that moment that means something to u? u can just go flickr and see so many fantastic photos taken by average cameras. let ur pics do the talking! :D

i do see occasional guys wearing sbo-like jackets and sunglasses with the works..haha.. always makes me laugh.
if u are confident of ur own ability, u dun have to worry abt wat others think or do. most of the time..they will be like u too.

errr this depends on what ur trying to do. Are you about buying expensive camera toys or are you about capturing that moment that means something to u? u can just go flickr and see so many fantastic photos taken by average cameras. let ur pics do the talking! :D

yeah agree, nobody's gonna scorn you just because they have better equipment than you.

Wooo, :thumbsup: I like your saying!

Everybody has his or her comfortable setup.
I am one of those who likes my SBO with three lens pouches and my camera body all gaffered up terok terok kind. But seriously, we must respect all our fellow photographers, even those using P&S.
So ITPhobia, I think if any fellow photog gives you the shove... just let him/her take his shots first (show that you are gentlemenly), and then quietly shove your way back in again.

Haha, I think this problem only occur to ammatures like me.. Do you feel shy when you see other photographers carrying better camera or look more professional in front of you and even made you move to another subject to shoot instead...??

I used to feel that when I first got my DSLR, now not so much... But if someone is carrying freaking large gears, I've got a feeling of getting bullied.. LOL... ;p
you can simply overcome this by.....

Buy a bigger camera,
or get over shyness,
or just FOCUS ON PHOTOGRAPHY

I am shy when I see other people's equipment around me are all gaffered like ninja mummies or encased in faux carbon fiber sheeting. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

More like I will feel shy to take out my camera in public alone. If there's a more Pro photographer besides me, I'll be more than happy to take it out since the attention will be on his loud gears.

I am getting obselete.... took me a long time to figure out what sbo-like is :dunno: I was thinking what soo boo jacket? what is that .... looks familiar but I just cannot remember ?? Till I saw limwhow reply aw...SBO :bsmilie::bsmilie:

i do see occasional guys wearing sbo-like jackets and sunglasses with the works..haha.. always makes me laugh.
if u are confident of ur own ability, u dun have to worry abt wat others think or do. most of the time..they will be like u too.

I don't feel shy at all. (I am carrying Canon powershot SX10 IS)

In fact, i envy those photographers with their cameras way better than me...

It doesn't matter whose camera is better, most important is to live life within your own means and not to be bothered by those material things.

If you are happy with your current camera, why bother what people think and say??

I think in events like SIN and etc, the photographers don't normally pay attention to your camera. All they do is just take a glance and focus on shooting the subjects.

I don't hear photographers saying:"your camera is way lousier than me... ."

Cheers! :sweatsm:

Initially yes. Not bec of the gear but somehow uneasy when people are looking at you. But then after few outings, don't care already.

I am getting obselete.... took me a long time to figure out what sbo-like is :dunno: I was thinking what soo boo jacket? what is that .... looks familiar but I just cannot remember ?? Till I saw limwhow reply aw...SBO :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Hehe... I know deep inside the right term to call it is belt-and-harness system, or Think Tank Speed Belt Pro or something like that. I don't use the expensive Think Tank, but a much cheaper alternative by Safrotto which I found very comfortable. But just that, it reminded me so much of my SBO that I've never stopped calling it my SBO.;)

Initially yes. Not bec of the gear but somehow uneasy when people are looking at you. But then after few outings, don't care already.
Agree with you, spheredome.
In fact, what I would like to share with the TS is, there will always be all kinds of photography enthusiasts who carry all kinds of funny gears or tape up their cameras funnily. As long as they behave properly and friendly towards you, it is always a good thing to chat them up and make friends. That is what I found so wonderful about photography. All of us have a common interest and the ice is already broken even before you start shooting. Go ahead... don't feel inferior. Just make friends.

I am shy when I see other people's equipment around me are all gaffered like ninja mummies or encased in faux carbon fiber sheeting. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Hehe... daredevil123, don't make me so pai seh leh...:embrass:
I belong to the category of hobbyist who anyhow gaffer tape up my camera so that I may appear more lao jiao although deep down inside I am a new newly newbie... Hahaha...

Yes i am, i feel shy when i see D3/x 1D hanging over their necks with 70-200 attached to it :bsmilie:

Ya sometimes I do. Maybe because I'm pretty much still an amataur.

I also feel awkward when I want to take out my camera to snap a shot in public; say in public buses or mrt or on the streets. People will definitely be staring at you or your camera..

Last time when I started shooting on 20D + Sigma 17-50 mm f2.8, I didn't care about bringing my gear out on MRTs, Buses, parks, shopping malls at all.

Even recently when I was still using "middle-class" lenses such as EF 85 f1.8/50 f1.4 I would pop onto my 5D with grip and walk around shooting outside for fun.

The sudden and adrupt realization that I can no longer do this in peace was when I upgraded to EF 85 f1.2L (mind you, I sold alot of things for this... not that I rich in any way) and it looked like a huge ball of glass out in public and attracting too much attention.

Later on I would secretly just pop on my tiny 28 f1.8 and remove batt grip hopefully not to attract too much attention.

And now that I have upgraded to 1DsII, I don't street-shooting will occur anytime soon. It just gives me the creeps to have the feeling that people think you very show off with pro camera walking around on streets. Too much attention in days where I see at least 50 D-SLR strapped people a day on streets who also spend time looking at other's gears.

It's the complete opposite.

like guys who are shy when using the urinal in a crowded toilet? ;p

pls..take yr shot and be jolly make sure u get everything right.. haha..