Ever face this problem with your friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wootsk

Deregistered
Aug 12, 2007
Small Island
I got a friend who saw me always going out shooting and decided to try it out as a hobby. So he asked me if it is expensive. Unable to give a good answer, I replied to him that it depends on him much money and time he is able to dedicate to it. But if to polish his photograhpy skill, even a simple PNS can take some good photos. I intended to ask him try out with a manual PNS first.

Next month he pop up with a Sony A350 or A330 with kit lens, I was like :eek:. He ask me what is need to maintain his camera, so I tell him a blower, a microfibre cloth and a dry cabinet. He started complaining photography is so expensive. I was a bit :sweat:. He then went out shooting on his own. Then he compare and complain why his photo doesn't turn out like mine. So I ask him to point out one of my photo and compare. I explained that I use a faster lens for the DOF with external flash and ommibounce for the shot. He ask me how much it cost, I explained to him that it is quite costly for a fast lens and a external flash cost at least 200+ approximate. He complain about the cost of photography again.

Next month his entu level drop alot and rarely ask anymore about photography... :(

Is it my fault for misleading?

nope you told him the facts, if what you say is the whole story then he has only himself to blame for jumping in and not being able to commit.

Photography has nothing to do with gears actually. Sometimes, great pictures can be churned out using cheap cameras like lomo for example. Your friend should enjoy the process of taking pictures instead of insisting on getting fantastic photos. Besides, practice makes perfect. It is the photographer that matters.

tell yoru friend is because he use sony. :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Give him a gift of beginners book to photography, it might help.

tell yoru friend is because he use sony.

Stupid goat :angry: but I have to admit... it's a dem good answer :bsmilie:

To the TS, yes... coz you post up all your nice nice pictures then make him gian. Anyway you're not alone in this, but at least my friends don't blame me for their decisions to buy DSLR and then finding out it doesn't do magic. Your good friend arh?

I usually lend them my camera together with a lesson on how it works. Old lens + lower end Nikon body = Manual Focus + Manual Exposure. All but the most dedicated gets turned off usually. This way those who pick up the hobby are usually here to stay. So far, I have not had much success :sweat:

I usually lend them my camera together with a lesson on how it works. Old lens + lower end Nikon body = Manual Focus + Manual Exposure. All but the most dedicated gets turned off usually. This way those who pick up the hobby are usually here to stay. So far, I have not had much success :sweat:

man, you sound like you are discouraging them instead of encouraging them.
Photography can still be enjoyable even if we can only rely on everything auto. Not need so exclusive. ;)

Last edited:
This book should help.

51DR1XYBR0L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

man, you sound like you are discouraging them instead of encouraging them.
Photography can still be enjoyable even if we can only rely on everything auto. Not need so exclusive. ;)

if you think about it, if the friends had bothered to even read up a little, they would have realised that they could have asked for a newer modern lens with af and autoexposure.

obviously, they didn't, so.... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

if you think about it, if the friends had bothered to even read up a little, they would have realised that they could have asked for a newer modern lens with af and autoexposure.

This also helps shows if someone is really interested in photography versus tech toys. :)

haha, maybe they are totally noobs and place their faith in us to guide them in the ealier steps. I guess I'm a believer of scaffolding.

Its like if my friend want to learn scuba diving and I bring him to the waters of Pulau Hantu instead of the nice waters of Phuket. :devil:

This also helps shows if someone is really interested in photography versus tech toys. :)

not really, i don't see how using a modern lens means that one is interested in tech toys. if that were the case we would all be using washing boards instead of washing machines. the reason for technology is so that mankind has increased convenience, else we would still be in the stone age with slaves fanning us instead of an air conditioner.

unless i'm getting a wrong idea of what you mean.

This book should help.

51DR1XYBR0L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

For me, I gave my friends a copy of Sulhan's book. They found the infomation useful without being overwhelming.

not really, i don't see how using a modern lens means that one is interested in tech toys. if that were the case we would all be using washing boards instead of washing machines. the reason for technology is so that mankind has increased convenience, else we would still be in the stone age with slaves fanning us instead of an air conditioner.

unless i'm getting a wrong idea of what you mean.

I probably didn't express my thoughts well enough.

TS, I think u are telling the Fact, no harm.... :bsmilie:
or maybe he think he can acheive easily like those like 1 shot 1 kill pattern.
then found out wrong, Ops!
Or Maybe @ 1st, u shlD hint him that that a exp. hobbie,
If he kena virus, he will b more :sweat:
Actually he shld continue to expose more on Photography...
not "one step to Heaven" kind

Actually, different people have different aspects on photography.
Some people will say it's an expensive hobby, some will say with digital now, it's not that expensive.

it *is* still expensive, but no one ever said that hobbies had to be cheap.

also, what you make of the hobby, whether it improves you personally as a person or is just an excuse to embrace your lust and justify it.......... that also matters to me, i think.

of course, people always have the choice to do whatever they want with their money :) it's theirs after all, but i'm also entitled to think what i think of them.

Actually, different people have different aspects on photography.
Some people will say it's an expensive hobby, some will say with digital now, it's not that expensive.
Hobby, as in some activities is to enrich your life, not an essential item, or must have, so without it, won't die.

hence there is no hobby is cheap, cos ones need to put his/her spare cash into it, after he/she spend the necessity on living.

Status
Not open for further replies.