Events photography on budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanly

Oct 30, 2005
East
I've seen many pro photographers taking pictures for people during award ceremony,graduation ceremony and stuff.....:yes:

I wonder what is absolutely necessary for such events??

From what i notice, flashlight is a must.....thinking of investing in one.....:)

Maybe start from SB600.....:D

As for lens, I wonder if a lens like Nikon 18-200mm VR can fulfil most of the purpose.....or do I need a constant F2.8 lens......

Your pro comments needed......;)

longkangman said:
Go for SB800 at least and with quantum T2x2 or Qflash + quantum T2x2. :dunno:

YMMV

Whats the advantages of the SB800 over the SB600??

I only take events occasionally....:)

longkangman said:
Go for SB800 at least and with quantum T2x2 or Qflash + quantum T2x2. :dunno:

YMMV
:eek: for an occasional shoot like this, i reckon the 2x2 is too mch of an overkill. At the most, will recommend a SD-8a with a SB-800. :D

ipin said:
:eek: for an occasional shoot like this, i reckon the 2x2 is too mch of an overkill. At the most, will recommend a SD-8a with a SB-800. :D

2x2 is never over-killed lar ... u never knows when you need it ... :bsmilie:

ipin said:

I notice those pro photographers, they place a white cardboard on the flash. Seems like it's for the flash to reflect......Whats the purpose?? More coverage??

I also notice they point the flash upwards instead.....why so??

start with whatever you have and can afford.

d70 + kit lens + SB600 no problemo.

d50 + kit lens + SB16 also no problemo.

as long as the event orgs are happy with your pics.

Stanly said:
Whats the advantages of the SB800 over the SB600??

I only take events occasionally....:)
SB-800 made in japan, can act as a commander in a CLS setup, higher GN, has AA mode
SB-600 made in china, cannot act as a commander in a CLS setup, lower GN, does not have AA mode

since a flash unit is good to have in photography, i recommend the SB-800. it's more expensive, but after buying the SB-800, dun need to upgrade in the near future liao. wallet hurts initially, later wun need to suffer again. ;)

Stanly said:
I notice those pro photographers, they place a white cardboard on the flash. Seems like it's for the flash to reflect......Whats the purpose?? More coverage??

that's called a bounce card to throw the flash light forward, instead of loosing some going behind the photographer.
it also bounces the light off the celing to reduce shadows behind the subject.

ipin said:
SB-800 made in japan, can act as a commander in a CLS setup, higher GN, has AA mode
SB-600 made in china, cannot act as a commander in a CLS setup, lower GN, does not have AA mode

since a flash unit is good to have in photography, i recommend the SB-800. it's more expensive, but after buying the SB-800, dun need to upgrade in the near future liao. wallet hurts initially, later wun need to suffer again. ;)

Haha.....ipin theory.....:bsmilie:

Stanly said:

Its called a bounce card, used to bounce the flash off the card.

igpenguin said:
start with whatever you have and can afford.

d70 + kit lens + SB600 no problemo.

d50 + kit lens + SB16 also no problemo.

as long as the event orgs are happy with your pics.

Thats sounds good......that means the 18-200mm VR should suffice.....;)

KNIGHT ONG said:
for me a +1 can liao. 2x2 too ex, bulky and heavy for me. :sweat:

Stanly said:
Haha.....ipin theory.....:bsmilie:
no... not only my theory. people have learnt this lession before. some more painful than others. i've seen too many of these cases, that's why i'm recommending your the SB-800 and not the SB-600.

ipin said:
no... not only my theory. people have learnt this lession before. some more painful than others. i've seen too many of these cases, that's why i'm recommending your the SB-800 and not the SB-600.

Haha....yeah....like my Sigma and Nikon 18-200 mm lens......:)

Stanly said:
Haha....yeah....like my Sigma and Nikon 18-200 mm lens......:)
:bsmilie: i din say that! :angel: you know the story my friend.
just dun wan history to repeat itself on you. *nuff said* ;)

ipin said:
:bsmilie: i din say that! :angel: you know the story my friend.
just dun wan history to repeat itself on you. *nuff said* ;)

Haha.....actually to be honest, the sigma wasn't that bad.....just that I got more greedy....:bsmilie:

juz attended an event at suntec yest. The organiser dun allow me to use flash... with my 18-200mm, at 200mm, it will be f5.6. Then the shutter was so slow tt most of my shots got blur... was using a D70s, ISO1000. Din wana up the iso any further as i feel tt the pic will be too noisy.

Point im trying to say is that 18-200mm can suit most situation... but there will be exceptional times tt u realli need a F2.8 lens :sweat:

Geordie said:
juz attended an event at suntec yest. The organiser dun allow me to use flash... with my 18-200mm, at 200mm, it will be f5.6. Then the shutter was so slow tt most of my shots got blur... was using a D70s, ISO1000. Din wana up the iso any further as i feel tt the pic will be too noisy.

Point im trying to say is that 18-200mm can suit most situation... but there will be exceptional times tt u realli need a F2.8 lens :sweat:

But for my case, I can only afford third party F2.8 lens loh.....:cry:

I guess Tamron 17-50mm or 28-75mm F2.8 would be a good choice?? :) Then sit closer to the stage....;)

KNIGHT ONG said:
ya correct...
it is there when you need it. :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.