events coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

yumyum

Aug 18, 2005
Singapore
www.yummibear.multiply.com
anyone here does events coverage for their grassroots?? any ideas how to convince the organsier to let you help them in any events . to take photos ???

yumyum said:
anyone here does events coverage for their grassroots?? any ideas how to convince the organsier to let you help them in any events . to take photos ???

all you need to do is to shoot for them free, and using some nice words like "volunteer your services, contribute to the communities".

yumyum said:

I do freelance events photoshoots. Initially i take for different companies for free cos u need to provide them with a compliment CD and from there they will see your photos. If they like them automatically they'll call u again for future shoots.

catchlights said:
all you need to do is to shoot for them free, and using some nice words like "volunteer your services, contribute to the communities".

:bsmilie:

Snoweagle said:
I do freelance events photoshoots. Initially i take for different companies for free cos u need to provide them with a compliment CD and from there they will see your photos. If they like them automatically they'll call u again for future shoots.

Wah bro dun spoil the market lah...at least ,at least charge by hour or expenses lah...they might call u again not because of yr portfolie....it because its FREE.:nono:

Snoweagle said:

Hmm, then next time they need service, they will look for another photographer to do for free and give compliment CD, and another, and another. So they will never need to pay any photog. ;)

yumyum said:

Depends on the level of grassroots you're talking abt.

I shoot for my RC unofficially and you'll be surprised how much they appreciate it. They've got no budget so don't expect payment for your time. Maybe they'll pay for the printing but that's abt it. As for CCs, they would have the money to pay, but usually they already have prior arrangement with pro photogs.

Do ask them... you'll be surprised... they might hang on to you dearly! :bsmilie:

Snoweagle said:

so what u mean is , pick the best photos and show to the grassroots and companies???

hpi3evo said:
Wah bro dun spoil the market lah...at least ,at least charge by hour or expenses lah...they might call u again not because of yr portfolie....it because its FREE.:nono:

Dun get me wrong bro...that time was initially starting out only, now i charge liao haha.

clicknick said:
Hmm, then next time they need service, they will look for another photographer to do for free and give compliment CD, and another, and another. So they will never need to pay any photog. ;)

Haha...as i've explained to hpi3evo...that was only when i first started out.

yumyum said:
so what u mean is , pick the best photos and show to the grassroots and companies???

Yupz...of cos some will not be so good so those i'll leave it out, but only a small number of spoilt ones :)

hpi3evo said:
i see......:)

Yupz cos that time was my first times doing event shoots so my experience wasn't so gd so i've to give free compliments to the company in case they didn't like my photos and they'll think that they've wasted money.

Studies show that since the advent of digital photography there are more and more people going into the hobby based on club growth and sales of digital camera. Although I am not sure exactly how many but we are looking at maybe a 10 to 15 percent growth of about 2000 to 3000 people per year. So to say we have more and more people coming in to so call give a "try out for free" service.

In another words, we no longer have to pay for photography services as more and more join the force in future. There will always be free photographers around. :( I will be jobless by then.

Andy Ho said:
Studies show that since the advent of digital photography there are more and more people going into the hobby based on club growth and sales of digital camera. Although I am not sure exactly how many but we are looking at maybe a 10 to 15 percent growth of about 2000 to 3000 people per year. So to say we have more and more people coming in to so call give a "try out for free" service.

In another words, we no longer have to pay for photography services as more and more join the force in future. There will always be free photographers around. :( I will be jobless by then.

Haha...so will i man...

I just realized I did not phrase my words properly. I mean giving free services to client for beginning photographer is very real. It is not wrong as I am guilty of that as well when I started photography initially but like I say we will all be out of jobs if there are more and more coming out.

Well I suppose lots of beginners want opportunities to shoot & learn thats y the market is so call "ruined" and the full time photographers are suffering from it.

Hmm... I was just thinking if the full time and the pro photographers are willing to provide opportunities for these beginners to learn and shoot, as in like taking them in for appreticeship or something. Then they won't have to offer free shoot and you might get a chance to secure the deal which could have been offered to the beginner for an exchange of free shoot.

In this way, the beginners will have a chance to learn and also will learn to charge an appropriate sum to future deals. The pro or fulltime will also have an assistant during this period of time while the beginner/s follow him/her.

I don't think you have to be worried about the beginner learned the skills and snatch away your business... at least it will be fair competition then instead of some companies get away with free photography services not paying a single cent. Market ruined and the full time eat grass.

BreakThru said:
Well I suppose lots of beginners want opportunities to shoot & learn thats y the market is so call "ruined" and the full time photographers are suffering from it.

Hmm... I was just thinking if the full time and the pro photographers are willing to provide opportunities for these beginners to learn and shoot, as in like taking them in for appreticeship or something. Then they won't have to offer free shoot and you might get a chance to secure the deal which could have been offered to the beginner for an exchange of free shoot.

In this way, the beginners will have a chance to learn and also will learn to charge an appropriate sum to future deals. The pro or fulltime will also have an assistant during this period of time while the beginner/s follow him/her.

I don't think you have to be worried about the beginner learned the skills and snatch away your business... at least it will be fair competition then instead of some companies get away with free photography services not paying a single cent. Market ruined and the full time eat grass.

right u , goood wrds , nv spolit the market

i used to cover some gaming events locally including wcg prelims and wcg finals. i was technically covering for a gaming website and write about the events and obviously they allowed me to do free publicity for them.

but i was not paid in any ways. i was just glad i could get inside informations and pictures which i posted up for the competitors and others. just doing my part in a way and showing my works on a platform. by the way, my pictures sucks so it's just a way to get on the inside.

who would reject free help right?

Andy Ho said:
I just realized I did not phrase my words properly. I mean giving free services to client for beginning photographer is very real. It is not wrong as I am guilty of that as well when I started photography initially but like I say we will all be out of jobs if there are more and more coming out.

That's what i meant. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.