event shot

Presto80

Jun 3, 2009
hi all,

recently i help to take a nite indoor event shooting...

im using d90..wif 18-105 lens

cos i tink ple will be moving so i use shutter priority and i set iso to 320 and flash..

realise that my pics only the focus point is focus the rest is blur...not sure cos my shutter is nt fast enuff or my focus setting is wrong..

i do not have ext flash tats y i scare if i put too fast it will be too white or too dark..

can any expert gif any advice on indoor shooting and ple moving quite fast..they wont stop n pose for you,..
hw to make the whole pic focus(all not moving)

currently i only have d90, 18-105 lens..

Last edited:
cos i tink ple will be moving so i use shutter priority and i set iso to 320 and flash..
realise that my pics only the focus point is focus the rest is blur...not sure cos my shutter is nt fast enuff or my focus setting is wrong..

If shutter is defined and ISO, then the camera will set aperture. In low light it isn't hard to guess that the aperture will be maximum opening - creating a very shallow Depth of Field. On Canon I'd set Manual, define all parameters and watch the exposure meter. Please check how your camera and flash work in low light with regards to exposure and flash metering. Canon and Nikon work differently here.

event photography in this case is straighforward.

1. Use and any all skills you have to persuade them to pause and pose especially VIP. Find a good place to station yourself preferably with good background and lighting when nothing important is going on.

2. Bring up the iso to 1600 or higher if like in club environment and shoot wide to make use of the F/3.5 at the 18mm end of your lens. Use the Histogram to make adjustments where necessary. Use the onboard flash but do read up on Flash/Exposure Compensation functions as they are the quickest to adjust when using Manual mode at least on my camera anyway.

3. Shoot in RAW wherever possible since software PP might rescue pics destined for deletion.

4. Use Noise removal softwares to clean up the images as possible.

There are plenty more which i learned the hard way but best not to confuse a beginner. To answer your question on how to freeze action, you would need plenty of light.

Last edited:
use flash. set your camera - speed 1/80 f5.6 iso1000.

hi all,

i do not have ext flash tats y i scare if i put too fast it will be too white or too dark..

can any expert gif any advice on indoor shooting and ple moving quite fast..they wont stop n pose for you,..

If people are moving fast, you basically have 2 options.
1) use a fast enough shutter speed to stop the movement. *there are issues with that. more later.

2) somehow get them to stop or move slower, allowing you to use a slower shutter speed.

With option #1, you run into a problem of getting sufficient light. Your lens' aperture can only open up to a fixed value. At 18mm it'd be f/3.5
It may not be enough to get a properly-exposed image, so you'll have to overcome this with flash and/or high-ISO.
If pop-up flash and high-ISO still not enough, you really need to have more light.
Will need to either turn on more lights, or get an external flash, or (gulp) multiple strobes... :sweat:

hi all,

For me, I feel most likely, S mode not too ideal...M mode would be better...judge your lighting environment, probably can use high iso 1000-1600, try to test-shoot a few first, normal movement would not be too fast, so shuttle might not need to be as high as 1/500 to freeze action...you can probably use like 1/30-1/125 depending on focal length..juz make sure to take note of your own handshake first...

If ppl are really running here and there, then you got to have higher shuttle speed + rear flash..but i wud think, forget about taking photos of these ppl...haha...
But usually I find that ppl in events, movement is about "strolling" kinda speed, even 1/30 shuttle speed + rear flash syn can have decent results..to get everything in focus is really unncessary, the most I would is to stop down a little juz to get the 1,2 interesting ppl in mid-ground together with foreground subject to be in focus...those ppl further away wud most likely be underexposed anyway since your built in flash can't reach tt far, so don't bother about them...haha...

my 2cents, but most likely you got to experiment...

If ppl are really running here and there, then you got to have higher shuttle speed + rear flash..but i wud think, forget about taking photos of these ppl...haha...

Please use the correct term of 'shutter speed'. Do not confuse newbies with incorrect terms.

Please use the correct term of 'shutter speed'. Do not confuse newbies with incorrect terms.

TS, sorry for typo, I used to play badminton competitively...:bsmilie:

Last edited:
hi all,

when the lighting is low, use flash
when don't want to or can't use flash, lengthen shutter speed
when don't want to or can't lengthen shutter speed, open up lens aperture
when don't want to or can't open up lens aperture, increase ISO
when don't want to or can't increase ISO, use flash