Event Shooting Changing Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjamin84

Oct 22, 2008
North
Hello CSers!

New to the forum and just began shooting not long ago. Just wanna know more about how people handle shoots during events ie. exhibitions / gatherings.

Having the 50mm prime and also the 17-50 2.8, I will usually be having the 17-50 on most of the time. However, there are certain times where the 50mm will be useful in producing better portraits and depth of field shots and definite much faster in low light. So would like to ask if do you guys change lenses as and when you want to, or change only at a given time (ie. force to shoot with the 50mm for a time period)? Cos it's really weird during gathering a group of frens asking u to take a group photo and you have to move so far back just to get a shot with the 50mm. :dunno:

Hello CSers!

New to the forum and just began shooting not long ago. Just wanna know more about how people handle shoots during events ie. exhibitions / gatherings.

Having the 50mm prime and also the 17-50 2.8, I will usually be having the 17-50 on most of the time. However, there are certain times where the 50mm will be useful in producing better portraits and depth of field shots and definite much faster in low light. So would like to ask if do you guys change lenses as and when you want to, or change only at a given time (ie. force to shoot with the 50mm for a time period)? Cos it's really weird during gathering a group of frens asking u to take a group photo and you have to move so far back just to get a shot with the 50mm. :dunno:

Its inevitable to change lenses with the use of a DSLR system. You may consider a 2nd body if you're doing this professionally. Otherwise, just practice and be fast at it.

However, in your case, this issue seems a little non-existent. Its not entirely much faster if you consider practical use. I seldom use my 50mm F1.8 below the aperture of F2.5, simply because its not as sharp, therefore, if I had both of the above lenses, I would sell the 50mm F1.8. Just stick to your 17-50mm F2.8

If you really need the extra speed, consider something else, since you mentioned portraits, something like the 85 F1.8 will produce better shots around F2.

Hello CSers!

It would be best to have 2 bodies, but unfortunately, I only have 1, and inevitably have to change lenses.

Before I shoot an event, I would first find out what the programme is. From there, I would know what lens I would need and when I would need it.

E.g. if there is a guest of honor in the event, I would need to make sure that i am taking the key shots. depending on how close i can get to the GOH party, i would then decide what kind of lens i need to use at the segment.

In most events, there will be keys shots that needs to be captured. Once done with key shots, you can then be more creative in what you want to shoot.

So... the answer to your question is that 'Yes", I do have to change lenses while shooting an event. For event shooting, zoom lenses are most useful, but having said this, it does not mean that you cannot take an event using primes... it just takes more practice.

It would be best to have 2 bodies, but unfortunately, I only have 1, and inevitably have to change lenses.

Before I shoot an event, I would first find out what the programme is. From there, I would know what lens I would need and when I would need it.

E.g. if there is a guest of honor in the event, I would need to make sure that i am taking the key shots. depending on how close i can get to the GOH party, i would then decide what kind of lens i need to use at the segment.

In most events, there will be keys shots that needs to be captured. Once done with key shots, you can then be more creative in what you want to shoot.

So... the answer to your question is that 'Yes", I do have to change lenses while shooting an event. For event shooting, zoom lenses are most useful, but having said this, it does not mean that you cannot take an event using primes... it just takes more practice.

Agree with this. I shoot with 2 bodies, wide and tele zooms most of the time, both with flash. Anything I don't own, I usually borrow for a one-day/night event. Just now I had a 5D2, 400D, 24-70 and 70-200 2.8IS both with flash. Worked perfectly.

But yes, when im using one camera and I have a tele zoom, and I need to shoot a group photo, I tell my friends to wait, then swap lenses. In paid events, you don't have that privilege, so that's why these people should be prepared.

Thank you guys for the feedback! Really glad to pick up some pointers here.

Its inevitable to change lenses with the use of a DSLR system. You may consider a 2nd body if you're doing this professionally. Otherwise, just practice and be fast at it.

However, in your case, this issue seems a little non-existent. Its not entirely much faster if you consider practical use. I seldom use my 50mm F1.8 below the aperture of F2.5, simply because its not as sharp, therefore, if I had both of the above lenses, I would sell the 50mm F1.8. Just stick to your 17-50mm F2.8

If you really need the extra speed, consider something else, since you mentioned portraits, something like the 85 F1.8 will produce better shots around F2.

Yeah, just bought the Tamron 17-50, so it will definitely lower the chances of me using primes during events. Would definitely love to get the 85 F1.8. Tried it out once and the bokehs are nicer than the 50.

Guess that's the compromise to make with only 1 body. But having said that I like using primes more as it really tests your composition and creativity. Once you pull that shot off, it'll be inside one of my favourites easily. :D

Agree with this. I shoot with 2 bodies, wide and tele zooms most of the time, both with flash. Anything I don't own, I usually borrow for a one-day/night event. Just now I had a 5D2, 400D, 24-70 and 70-200 2.8IS both with flash. Worked perfectly.

But yes, when im using one camera and I have a tele zoom, and I need to shoot a group photo, I tell my friends to wait, then swap lenses. In paid events, you don't have that privilege, so that's why these people should be prepared.

I think I really have to rent 2nd body if I need to cover larger paid events. For now, I'll have to make do with a single body and improve on the swapping of lenses when required.

From my experience, I can offer a few suggestions...

1. Get a 2nd body.
2. Know when to change your lens.
3. Change fast... Practise if you have to.

Hello CSers!

Based on my some experiences covering fast and slow pace events. IMHO, if you wanna be efficient when covering for fast pace events, you better be with 2 bodies, one with long zoom and one with wide zoom. Seriously speaking... those artistic, shallow DOF are mostly unnecessary unless you are doing dim light shoot. When doing fast pace shoot, unless you own a 18-200mm which gives a larger coverage with so-so quality, you will find yourself required to either move it damn close with a medium zoom, or stay far away with a long zoom. Using prestige lens, you wouldn't find these 2 zooms under a single lens. It's very cumblesome trying to change lens outdoors not to mention the dust that may be introduced during the process. You still need to kneel down, unscrew the rear cap, take out the lens, put in the new lens and screw back the rear cap and back into the holder. The whole process is so dangerous when you are executing it quickly. If you feel event shooting is something you would like to do often, do invest in a 2nd body. Use it as a backup as well as a 2nd body to fit another long or portrait lens as you wish.

From my experience, I can offer a few suggestions...

1. Get a 2nd body.
2. Know when to change your lens.
3. Change fast... Practise if you have to.

Will have to consider getting a 2nd body for events, but for now I'll have to make do with 2 and 3! Thanks. :)

Based on my some experiences covering fast and slow pace events. IMHO, if you wanna be efficient when covering for fast pace events, you better be with 2 bodies, one with long zoom and one with wide zoom. Seriously speaking... those artistic, shallow DOF are mostly unnecessary unless you are doing dim light shoot. When doing fast pace shoot, unless you own a 18-200mm which gives a larger coverage with so-so quality, you will find yourself required to either move it damn close with a medium zoom, or stay far away with a long zoom. Using prestige lens, you wouldn't find these 2 zooms under a single lens. It's very cumblesome trying to change lens outdoors not to mention the dust that may be introduced during the process. You still need to kneel down, unscrew the rear cap, take out the lens, put in the new lens and screw back the rear cap and back into the holder. The whole process is so dangerous when you are executing it quickly. If you feel event shooting is something you would like to do often, do invest in a 2nd body. Use it as a backup as well as a 2nd body to fit another long or portrait lens as you wish.

Thanks David for the insights. I like the part about the artistic shots being unnecessary =). For now maybe capturing the key highlights and being in range is the most important aspect. Will probably get a 2nd body for event shoots the next time. Thanks again!

In my view, the slightly more than 1 stop increase you get is not worth the trouble changing around. I'd either fix it during post, or bump up the ISO one stop.

Unless you are so zhun to be at the threshold of your ISO, most of the time it shouldn't make much difference.

Hello CSers!

Thanks David for the insights. I like the part about the artistic shots being unnecessary =). For now maybe capturing the key highlights and being in range is the most important aspect. Will probably get a 2nd body for event shoots the next time. Thanks again!

Did a few events and seriously, pay master is not interested in artistic shots. You may do it for your portfolio, but seriously pay master will be more interested with a timely shot that capture the highlight of the event and those wild expressions that you may get if you are quick enough and at the right place at the right moment. So focus on moving your lens to the right position, focus fast and shoot. Move often and anticipate what may happen next. Therefore there are really no time to change lens. That's for fast pace events. For slow going one, you can take your own sweet time. If you own one of those f/2.8 lens, they are quite good enough for nice bokeh, though of course f1.4 gives much shallower DOF. Even with a 50mm f/1.4, I mostly perform at f2 instead to get a sharper image. That's for event. You really only have time for those artistic shots when you are free. When is event coverage really free ? So far, I haven't got into one. Mainly because I'm paid and I have to find something to capture :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.