Event photography question

easd1

Mar 2, 2013
sg
Hey guys. I'm kind of new to this but, for me I usually have the client pay the full amount for an event shoot on the day itself.

So my question is, should I give the invoice on the shoot day itself or a few days before the shoot date? And do you usually request for the payment to be in cash or cheque?

I also understand that some photogs get the full payment upon delivering the photos. And some collects down payment first, but maybe for a client you've been working with for a long time, a down payment wouldn't be that necessary.

Could some of you guys share your usual ways of handling an event photography payment?

Cheers

i don't shoot for a living. but i produce visual art pieces (flower decor) built to order.
i think it is prudent to collect unrefundable deposit for every assignment.

firstly it will provide cash flow in the interim period.

secondly it will deter customer from backing out at last min when you may have other assignments which you declined to take on this assignment. (opportunity cost)

you could also use the deposit to purchase material, props and etc without assuming risk of client stranding you with material you might not use because he has run away.

i always like to bill my retail customers for balance payment right before event start and notify them of this practice. that moment before event start is when you have most bargaining power. . . especially if you suspect the customer has intentions to play dirty and negotiate after you have rendered the goods or service.

for private limited companies i give them about a week

Dfive said:
Just do a search before asking...... here on clubsnap - a great resource !!

I didn't find the answer to my first question though. Should I send the client the invoice on the day itself or before if I were to collect the full payment on the day itself?

By law, you should invoice when you receive payment. It's proof of a transaction.

I tink maybe what TS is asking is when clients ask for invoice before shoot-day, so as to clear with their finance dept and prepare a cheque for full payment on shoot-day handover?

I tink maybe what TS is asking is when clients ask for invoice before shoot-day, so as to clear with their finance dept and prepare a cheque for full payment on shoot-day handover?

That's not an invoice, that's a quotation. The finance dept will also be shocked if you present an invoice without a payment / matching issued cheque #. Can fail financial audit that way.

The invoice is then issued when the cheque is handed to you.

This is basic finance leh...

Last edited:
Rashkae said:
That's not an invoice, that's a quotation. The finance dept will also be shocked if you present an invoice without a payment / matching issued cheque #. Can fail financial audit that way.

So co. are able to prepare cheques with quotation alone?

Then why some of them do ask for invoice, and say its required to prepare cheque for shoot day payment? Thx

Then why some of them do ask for invoice, and say its required to prepare cheque for shoot day payment? Thx
No, the are a lot of paperworks.

request of estimate

job quotation

purchase order

contract/agreement

delivery order

invoice

receipt

to save all the troubles, can ask client pay you with the petty cash.

If you are worried you can give them a quotation and indicate your payment terms and the assignee of the cheque. Some co does ask for invoice, it doesn't mean you give them an invoice then it's paid. You can Pre issue invoice, but be sure the outstanding amt is not zero otherwise its consider paid. To knock off that invoice, they would usually issue a cheque then there won't be any more outstanding. From this stage, you have to re issue a paid invoice to them.

Hope this helps.

Rashkae said:

Hi Rashkae, you are able to issue an invoice without a payment having been done. Just show the total outstanding amount and allow the finance team to prepare the payment. Upon receipt of payment, issue a payment voucher to customer as proof of payment. Uninvoiced jobs run the risk of customers playing the "oh I can't issue payment without invoice." game. Won't fail audit, wholesale companies do this all the time, we have credit terms for all customers and you would be shocked at how much we are owed at times.

Hi Rashkae, you are able to issue an invoice without a payment having been done. Just show the total outstanding amount and allow the finance team to prepare the payment. Upon receipt of payment, issue a payment voucher to customer as proof of payment. Uninvoiced jobs run the risk of customers playing the "oh I can't issue payment without invoice." game. Won't fail audit, wholesale companies do this all the time, we have credit terms for all customers and you would be shocked at how much we are owed at times.

Yes agree exactly, I invoice before payment is received almost all the time. Sometimes payment is faster, like already paid before the shoot, then I invoice later.

every company do things differently, just do it in their way and so long we get paid....... fully.
so what is the different between having 3 bananas in morning 4 in the evening, and 4 bananas in the morning 3 in the evening?

every company do things differently, just do it in their way and so long we get paid....... fully.
so what is the different between having 3 bananas in morning 4 in the evening, and 4 bananas in the morning 3 in the evening?

Depends if you do jogging in the evening or morning.

So long as it's clearly marked as "outstanding" then it's ok. I only issue that invoice if I received the deposit. But that's because I issue the invoice for the deposit itself. ;)

In my companies (one of which is an audit firm), uninvoiced jobs, or invoices for no payment (not even for deposit) are a no-no...

catchlights said:

No difference, just a lot of time on the throne next morning. Hehe!

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it!

Then if a company asks for a quotation do people usually create a PDF document or simply state your rates in the email?

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it!

Then if a company asks for a quotation do people usually create a PDF document or simply state your rates in the email?

Depends on your relationship with the client.