Event coverage?

dan94iel

Jul 17, 2011
I have been approached by one of my friends to volunteer in helping covering an event. Meaning it's unpaid. I have not done any event coverage before but I am keen to volunteer to gain experience and learn. I feel like helping him cover 2-3 unpaid events just for expanding my portfolio. I am still a student currently and picked up photography as a hobby. I have browsed through some of the threads here, still not sure I should do.
So should I take up this position? Please share with me your opinions and view on this matter.

first thing first, beside inexpedience on event coverage, are you competent enough to shoot without supervising, able to produce some decent shots in term of composition, exposure, white balance etc?

second,
are you the sole photographer of the event?
if yes, can your friend afford to have "zero" or very little usable picture?

no offends, it is always better to answer this question before the event rather than after the event.

first thing first, beside inexpedience on event coverage, are you competent enough to shoot without supervising, able to produce some decent shots in term of composition, exposure, white balance etc?

second,
are you the sole photographer of the event?
if yes, can your friend afford to have "zero" or very little usable picture?

no offends, it is always better to answer this question before the event rather than after the event.

I don't really know much about white balance but for composition and exposure, I am competent enough.
I don't think I am the sole photographer, from the official e-mail he sent me, he stated one of the official photographers. But I'll ask him to double confirm
My friend is actually quite okay with it because i had mentioned to him that I have 0 experience and might screw up

chances are its not a big scale event/ its one you can afford to screw up. (my impression when you call unpaid photographers)

though i'm not too sure how you can screw up... there are only so many important shots you need to get really... once u hit those few main shots you are more or less safe to go...

so just go and have fun bah. i doubt its those once in a lifetime photography thing :)

Go and have fun if this is a hobby.

Learn as much as possible if you want portfolio.

If you hope to lead to biz in the future, do it, learn it and have yourself cover by asking them to agree for you to use the images in writing.

Don't do this if you hope a repeat and get paid next time around.

Good luck.

Hart

As long as you're not the official photographer then the pressure's not on you. So have fun and spend time observing how the real official photographers work. You can check with them if any coordination is required, separate coverage, any particular things to look out for, eg not get his way or shot.

If he's nice maybe you can chitchat and share his story etc.

Thanks everyone for the comments! Now I roughly know what I should do! :)

Thanks everyone for the comments! Now I roughly know what I should do! :)

The thing about event coverage is knowing who the people are, what will happen and having enough memory cards/batteries. With pre-planning, you can be where you need to be to land the shots your friend might want.

Shoot in raw or go auto wb if you aren't sure about the colors. Remember to be present early and have fun!

Thanks for all your input! My gear set up is 50D + 18-55mm kit lens + 50mm f1.8 + Nissin Di622. I can't use flash during the performance. So I'm gonna use the 50mm, but I'm worried if there isn't enough reach but that'll depend on the layout of the place.

dan94iel said:
Thanks for all your input! My gear set up is 50D + 18-55mm kit lens + 50mm f1.8 + Nissin Di622. I can't use flash during the performance. So I'm gonna use the 50mm, but I'm worried if there isn't enough reach but that'll depend on the layout of the place.

Consider renting a 70-200mm f/2.8 or F/4. It helps if you can't shoot on or right below the stage.

IMHO this is a hobby thread asking how to shoot a genre and what equipment to use, doing a friend a favor shooting for free.

Not really a photo biz related topic right?

IMHO this is a hobby thread asking how to shoot a genre and what equipment to use, doing a friend a favor shooting for free.

Not really a photo biz related topic right?

hello Jason.. i think he is also asking on whether the 2 - 3 events would be helpful in building his port.. :)

Cowseye said:
Consider renting a 70-200mm f/2.8 or F/4. It helps if you can't shoot on or right below the stage.

I think a mid range tele will be a better and lighter choice.

For his first event and non serious nature don't have to spend too much money and not tire himself lugging that cannon around. He only has 1 camera body so more than once that night he could get caught with the wrong lense on.

hello Jason.. i think he is also asking on whether the 2 - 3 events would be helpful in building his port.. :)

My answer is a straightforward yes it will definitely help in building his hobbyist portfolio; great for sharing on Clubsnap and Flickr, great for receiving comments and making some online friends.

What is the profit and lost? How much prospects you reached out? Out of these prospects how many will become clients? Out of these clients who will pay good rates? How often will they hire?

Genre in the first place not viable for substainance in local sense. Refer to the recent thread on liveusic/concert photography. Not trying to be mean, just pointing out reality.

My answer is a straightforward yes it will definitely help in building his hobbyist portfolio; great for sharing on Clubsnap and Flickr, great for receiving comments and making some online friends.

What is the profit and lost? How much prospects you reached out? Out of these prospects how many will become clients? Out of these clients who will pay good rates? How often will they hire?

Genre in the first place not viable for substainance in local sense. Refer to the recent thread on liveusic/concert photography. Not trying to be mean, just pointing out reality.

i see.. sounds like quite an analysis. TS could ponder over these points and decide for himself i guess..

I recommend 70-200mm for close up reach on individual performer. No doubt, spending $50 to $60 on a lens rental is expensive. It's all abt what you need or what you want to achieve. There's nothing wrong going with a modest variable zoom lens at 5.6 on the furthest end, and if you indeed go with one, do up ur ISO in order to achieve a faster shutter speed in order to freeze the moment as ur shutter speed may be slower (depends on the lighting condition on the stage).

I recommend 70-200mm for close up reach on individual performer. No doubt, spending $50 to $60 on a lens rental is expensive. It's all abt what you need or what you want to achieve. There's nothing wrong going with a modest variable zoom lens at 5.6 on the furthest end, and if you indeed go with one, do up ur ISO in order to achieve a faster shutter speed in order to freeze the moment as ur shutter speed may be slower (depends on the lighting condition on the stage).

I think for the first event I will use solely my 50mm f1.8 during the event and see how it goes. Then for the events after that maybe consider renting a lens with longer reach or investing in one after saving up enough money.

Thanks JasonB for the pointers! I read the thread on concert photography and I am actually interested in nightclub photography but don't have contacts for such events and I don't think I can bring in my camera and flash to clubs like zouk and rebel :dunno: So I thought of this as a stepping stone, because of the similar low light condition, so might be an experience for low light photography?

Thanks for the input guys :bsmilie::cheers: