event coverage, advise needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockPopCorns

Jan 1, 2005
Jurong
Newbie using D70 need some advise here..

I was asked to cover a stage works performance in a week time,
was wondering will the kit lens and a 50mm 1.8 be enough to cover the event?

Also will be covering foyer gatherings..

the venue will be raffles hotel.. anyone being there before for a cover?

what setting will be more suitable for the area and ext flash unit needed?
if so, most likely will get a sb600..

I had also being thinking 70-200mm VR to cover the job but not enough moola to own one.. so was looking for lens rental also..

many qns..:sweat:

I have covered many such events...some in even lower lighting conditions....with the kit lens......

However you will need an external flash though.....I use the SB600 with bounce card.....cause the kit lens istn really fast enough for available light shooting....

70-200 will be a little too telephoto for events unless u have a lot of space to move around....even so....people walking here and there will tend to block your way.....

I guess your 50 mm will be perfect for available light shooting should u do any...

U have the equipment already...no worries...

guess tomorrow will be taking a look for SB600..

then need to crash course to learn flash photography..:sweat:

thanks!

an ext flash is almost a must, a bounce card will help a lot too. :)

try searching for "photonotes" in goggle/yahoo, there's a page with a lot of info on basic flash photography ;) (but its canon flash though), not sure if got any link about nikon flash...

if you are the main photographer, try to use focal length from 24 to 70mm and with an external flash.

RockPopCorns said:
I was asked to cover a stage works performance in a week time, was wondering will the kit lens and a 50mm 1.8 be enough to cover the event?
would you be shooting in jubilee hall during a performance. i think that the flash photograhy would likely throw-off performers. further, the echo of the mirrorslip can be rather conspicuous during a performace.

moving to the back with a 70-200f2.8 might be a good idea, but don't disturb the audience either. check with the producer what they have in mind in terms of the shots of the performance (one option is to do the photos during a dress rehearsal instead).

RockPopCorns said:
Also will be covering foyer gatherings.. the venue will be raffles hotel.. anyone being there before for a cover?
the kit lense range should be sufficient for this, but the built-in flash would not be doing you any favours, get an external flash w/ bounce. (the 50f1.8 would be good if you do don't have a flash, but this focal lenght on a D70 would be too narrow for group shots in the lounge area).

~Arcanic~ said:
an ext flash is almost a must, a bounce card will help a lot too. :)

try searching for "photonotes" in goggle/yahoo, there's a page with a lot of info on basic flash photography ;) (but its canon flash though), not sure if got any link about nikon flash...

Thanks, will check it out...:thumbsup:

megaweb said:
if you are the main photographer, try to use focal length from 24 to 70mm and with an external flash.

megaweb,

from you suggestion, the focal length is from the lens or with the consideration of 1.5x crop?

mpenza said:
the kit lens would be good enough to cover the event if you have an external flash.

glad to hear that.. initially was thinking will this lens be too slow for the event...? due to being a newbie, severe hand shake (SHS) will always in action..so was thinking for a at least faster lens.. thinking of investing to a monopod to help too..

Cactus jACK said:
would you be shooting in jubilee hall during a performance. i think that the flash photograhy would likely throw-off performers. further, the echo of the mirrorslip can be rather conspicuous during a performace.

moving to the back with a 70-200f2.8 might be a good idea, but don't disturb the audience either. check with the producer what they have in mind in terms of the shots of the performance (one option is to do the photos during a dress rehearsal instead).

the kit lense range should be sufficient for this, but the built-in flash would not be doing you any favours, get an external flash w/ bounce. (the 50f1.8 would be good if you do don't have a flash, but this focal lenght on a D70 would be too narrow for group shots in the lounge area).

Yoz, Jack!

ya.. will be shooting in jubilee hall.. think will recce the place first...
btw, havent had own a SB600, will any batt be able to power up the flash?
if you happen to know..:sweat:

RockPopCorns said:
megaweb,

from you suggestion, the focal length is from the lens or with the consideration of 1.5x crop?

i believe he means from the lens itself, after the crop it would be a bit different.

if i am not mistaken, any normal AA size batt (energizer etc) would be able to power up your external flash unit. if u can't buy 1 in time, then borrow one maybe? if not, u gonna have some trouble with e indoor shots...

hi RockPopCorns, not personally want to crash your thread.. hope you dont mine me asking some questions on event photography also?

I'm covering an event at VCH in a few weeks time.. I belive flash photography is not allowed inside unless i wanna get bashed up after the event. :confused:

What is the best settings to use like WB, ISO, Shuttle, AP and others?

My setup is only the kit lens (18-70), 28mm F2.8 and 80-200 F2.8.

I thank you inadvance for the tips shooting in VCH

P.S. sorry RockPopCorns

RockPopCorns said:
Newbie using D70 need some advise here..

I was asked to cover a stage works performance in a week time,
was wondering will the kit lens and a 50mm 1.8 be enough to cover the event?

Also will be covering foyer gatherings..

the venue will be raffles hotel.. anyone being there before for a cover?

what setting will be more suitable for the area and ext flash unit needed?
if so, most likely will get a sb600..

I had also being thinking 70-200mm VR to cover the job but not enough moola to own one.. so was looking for lens rental also..

many qns..:sweat:

the kit lens and 50 1.8 are very good lens for event coverage and IMHO enough. you don't want to keep changing lens also. since flash photography will not be allowed get a monopod, gives you the stability and the freedom to move around. cheers.

btw i think jubilee hall is very challenging because of the crampness if the hall

kennyleong said:
hi RockPopCorns, not personally want to crash your thread.. hope you dont mine me asking some questions on event photography also?

I'm covering an event at VCH in a few weeks time.. I belive flash photography is not allowed inside unless i wanna get bashed up after the event. :confused:

What is the best settings to use like WB, ISO, Shuttle, AP and others?

My setup is only the kit lens (18-70), 28mm F2.8 and 80-200 F2.8.

I thank you inadvance for the tips shooting in VCH

P.S. sorry RockPopCorns

pardon me.. but what's VCH?

anyway... if flash is not allowed inside, i guess u just have to have super rock steady hands... :bsmilie:

jokes aside...

WB - no suggestions, cos that doesn affect the no flash allowed problem
ISO - trial and error? since u are dslr, just take a few samples and see, min i recommend is about 400, if its really very bad, go up to 800 (or if u dun mind e noise, above 1000 iso is also possible)
shutter - depending on what u are taking, if static (or super slow moving subjects), try a slower shutter spd, say... 1/60? but if u want to freeze movement, well.. u know la.. :)
Aperture - usually as large as possible... but large aperture will give narrow dof and etc

u have to use a bit of trial and error and a bit of experience in the situation, there's no "1 settings fits all" kind of answer one. :)

kennyleong said:
thanks for that info.. VCH= Victorial concert hall

oh... :bsmilie:

geez... didn even know whats VCH.. :mad2:

good luck for ur shoot man, go there a bit earlier to tune and adjust ur settings. ;)

RockPopCorns said:
ya.. will be shooting in jubilee hall.. think will recce the place first...
btw, havent had own a SB600, will any batt be able to power up the flash?
if you happen to know..:sweat:
always a good idea of recce the venue before any shoot :thumbsup:

sb600 takes 4 x AA, i usually just thrown in energizers and bring along a spare 4 pack, else the 2100 rechargable ones work fine too.

~Arcanic~ said:
go there a bit earlier to tune and adjust ur settings. ;)
more sound advice!! :thumbsup:

~Arcanic~ said:
oh... :bsmilie:

geez... didn even know whats VCH.. :mad2:

good luck for ur shoot man, go there a bit earlier to tune and adjust ur settings. ;)

yup.. will be going down at their rehersal...

to get faster shutter speeds without the use of flash, up the ISO. but this increases the level of noise, so it's a give and take. but i feel a sharp noisy picture is still better than a blur, clean picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.