EV Compensation/Bracketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sodium99

Apr 7, 2005
Hi everyone, seeking answer to the following question;

While shooting in M mode and setting exposure compensation or bracketing, does the camera change the exposure by altering aperture or shutter speed or iso?

Thanks for helping... :)

not too sure if i understand what u saying here,
but when u're using M mode, i dun think u are able to set exposure compensation though, cos both the Av and Shutter is set by e user... :)

do correct me if i'm wrong other more experience ones out there...

i'm quite sure Manual mode cannot do ev/bracketing. Only the semi-auto modes like A(Av) or S(Tv) can do it. Full Auto also can do it. If you want to do bracketing in M you got to do it manually.

Err.......I do bracket sometimes in manual mode.
I just select +/- 1 stop and it fires three frames continuously with the aperture remaining constant(what I set) and shutter speed increase/decrease by 1 stop.

Perhaps it depends on camera models? :dunno:

eagles_creek said:
Err.......I do bracket sometimes in manual mode.
I just select +/- 1 stop and it fires three frames continuously with the aperture remaining constant(what I set) and shutter speed increase/decrease by 1 stop.

Perhaps it depends on camera models? :dunno:

Is it manual mode or aperture priority mode (AV mode)?

i guess it depends on model.. what model you using? I'm sure D70 and 20D doesn't have this feature

I am using the AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing) function with my EOS 66 in manual mode.

Have not tried with my EOS 30 yet, but it has the same function too as in from the manual.

eagles_creek said:
I am using the AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing) function with my EOS 66 in manual mode.

Have not tried with my EOS 30 yet, but it has the same function too as in from the manual.

interesting.. cos my 10D also dun have this function... i mean, my 10D has AEB, but it doesn work in full M mode... how would e cam know whether u want to change the Aperture of e Shutter..?

Auto Exposure Bracketing is for auto metering like P, Av/A or Tv/S only.

megaweb said:

Thanks for the helpful link, megaweb. Although some terms in the article seems unfamiliar to me since I'm not a eos user but I guess generally it states in 'P' mode, both aperture & shutter speed is adjusted. In 'A' mode, shutter speed is adjusted while in 'M' mode, aperture is adjusted.

btw, I'm using a nikon f80. guess it may differ slightly from an eos. I could do ev compensation in 'M' mode but it does not show changes to my aperture & shutter speed setting. Only shows the number of stops for compensation/bracketing...:dunno: which was why I ask the initial question...

sodium99 said:
Thanks for the helpful link, megaweb. Although some terms in the article seems unfamiliar to me since I'm not a eos user but I guess generally it states in 'P' mode, both aperture & shutter speed is adjusted. In 'A' mode, shutter speed is adjusted while in 'M' mode, aperture is adjusted.

btw, I'm using a nikon f80. guess it may differ slightly from an eos. I could do ev compensation in 'M' mode but it does not show changes to my aperture & shutter speed setting. Only shows the number of stops for compensation/bracketing...:dunno: which was why I ask the initial question...

i am really :confused: by what u are trying to say here... :sweat:
but i got a strong hunch u got some of the terms mixed up...

As copied from the link megaweb provided:

"Auto Exposure Bracketing An Auto Exposure Bracketing provides "insurance" shots - tricky situations when you are not very certain of the results in AUTO mode. This program automatically makes three exposures of the same scene - one under, one over, and one at the standard metered value. You can even adjust the amount of under and over- exposure by up to five stops in 1/2 stop increments and even shoots at 3-exposures sequence at full speed (Max. busting rate of 5 fps) under a second. IIn operation, both shutter speed and aperture will be shifted in Program AE mode. Shutter speed is shifted when using Av, DEP and Manual mode and in Tv mode only the aperture will be shifted. Flash is not workable in AEB."

As for my basic eos 66, the cam changes only the shutter speed during AEB and in manual mode.
The aperture size set remains constant. I have no control over which to adjust during that three frames.Henceforth, it will take frame1 (f8, 1/250), frame2 (f8, 1/500) and frame3 (f8, 1/125).

I've lost count of the number of times I have to do this.......becos my exposure skills cannot make it, so need to bracket at times. And becos I normally shoot in manual mode using b/w film, I'm sure the AEB function works in manual mode, well.....at least for me.

sodium99 said:
I could do ev compensation in 'M' mode but it does not show changes to my aperture & shutter speed setting. Only shows the number of stops for compensation/bracketing

it does not show changes because you are in MANUAL mode.

the term "exposure compensation" only makes sense in every exposure mode other than MANUAL mode, because the very fact that you are taking the initiative to MANUALLY adjust the setting of aperture and shutter speed at your own will is itself already an act of "compensation"

eagles_creek said:
As for my basic eos 66, the cam changes only the shutter speed during AEB and in manual mode.
The aperture size set remains constant. I have no control over which to adjust during that three frames.Henceforth, it will take frame1 (f8, 1/250), frame2 (f8, 1/500) and frame3 (f8, 1/125).

I've lost count of the number of times I have to do this.......becos my exposure skills cannot make it, so need to bracket at times. And becos I normally shoot in manual mode using b/w film, I'm sure the AEB function works in manual mode, well.....at least for me.

I guess this sort of answered my question partially since it is using an eos as a reference. Assuming nikon also employ the same system (shutter speed adjusted by camera for bracketing), does that means bracketing shots of a moving subject will results in pictures showing different sense of speed (movement blur due to different shutter speed) and different exposure? Is there then no way to achieve that exact same picture with different exposure? Hope what I typed is understandable for you guys... hee... :)

user111 said:
it does not show changes because you are in MANUAL mode.

the term "exposure compensation" only makes sense in every exposure mode other than MANUAL mode, because the very fact that you are taking the initiative to MANUALLY adjust the setting of aperture and shutter speed at your own will is itself already an act of "compensation"

hmm... sounds very resonable although I was still able to make ev compensation +/- number of stops even after I set the axperture & shutter speed manually.. think i 'll go through the manual one more time and see if I missed out anything... thanks for the clear-cut answer..

i have verified with my eos camera..the LCD display indicating exposure compensation will vanish when in M mode, but will re-appear in other exposure modes.

the concept of exposure compensation is kinda redundant w.r.t manual exposure

give u an analogy:

PIN = personal id number
PIN number = personal id number number

so when u are talking about PIN, there is no need to add in the extra "number"

Status
Not open for further replies.