etiquette of a photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwitan

Nov 25, 2002
谁是你
www.liveleak.com
Today at the Thaipusam event, noticed a few photographers who too zealous in their quest for photo opportunities thusted their lens centimeters away from the faces and other bodily parts of the Thaipusam devoutees. They are not some plants or insects or inanimate objects but fellow human beings who deserved some respects.

What do fellow clubbers think ?

kiwitan, are you referring one of the photographers to me?

Well, I have to admit that your views did not come across my thoughts, but you had set me thinking now.

Those "photographers that thust their lenses centimeters away from the faces and other bodily parts of the Thaipusam devoutee" are definately wide-angles users like myself. CMIIW, I don't think there are any telephoto lens that has a minimum focusing distance of few centimeters. Hee... :D

Will there be any difference if someone stood 5m away using a 1200mm lens to zoom in on the hook hanging painfully-looking on the back skin of the devotee?

Maybe the question here is whether we photographers should give our subjects some personal space when we are shooting them?

Hi Bean

It's a generation observation...not directed at anyone in particular :)

Well me also using wide angle. But saw some using fisheye who focused at about 20-30 away from his subject ... that i think is too near for comfort :)

They are not some plants or insects or inanimate objects but fellow human beings who deserved some respects.

So you are saying we shouldn't respect plants and insects because they are not human? jeezz have more respect for the environment.

Whether people are having their religious rituals, or are performing their arts or doing other stuff, photographers should never be in their faces.

It's bad enough that people are in OUR faces - u have other people of the public standing at strategic photography spots when they dun really need the space, and we just wait patiently for our chance to occupy their spot. You have the other intelligent species that seek out every spot u plant ur tripod on and deliberately walk in front of it during your shot.

People dun really give 2 hoots about our photography. Let's not match their intelligence level.

Be civil.

I missed this event, but otherwise still enjoy getting in close.....really close. If the subject's got no problem with a photographer coming in close and personal, I really dont see a problem.

However, harassing a subject, getting in the way of a subject's activity or such is boorish and appaling

So....what would be a 'comfortable' distance?

ed

Actually Guys,

Its down right rude to be this close to anyone without permission!

I've seen wedding photographers go right butt up close <1m during the recital of the wedding vows of couples befroe.....GEE!!! It really spoils the moment for the weding couple.

I should say the same for the devotee who is trying to be one with his religion...the last thing he needs is some NOSEY Photog in his face!!!! If you want close ups.....arrange a private session with him not while he is at it in public!!

As for all living things in general........they all deserve respect.....from insects to mammals!!

Christine!

speaking of respect, what about photographers who sense the subjects' discomfort (of the camera) and still insist on shooting and keeping or publicising the image anyway?

i find this especially applies to pple wielding digicams and DSLRs..
especially new owners of such equipment - tend to shoot from every angle (flattering or not) of the (unwilling) subject, ignoring basic courtesy (do you actually want to be the target of such photography?)

:dunno:
argent2

Originally posted by argent2
speaking of respect, what about photographers who sense the subjects' discomfort (of the camera) and still insist on shooting and keeping or publicising the image anyway?

i find this especially applies to pple wielding digicams and DSLRs..
especially new owners of such equipment - tend to shoot from every angle (flattering or not) of the (unwilling) subject, ignoring basic courtesy (do you actually want to be the target of such photography?)

:dunno:
argent2

yup i agree with argent2.
Basic courtesy, common sense even.

Status
Not open for further replies.