Esplanade with Velvia

Status
Not open for further replies.

UY79

Oct 22, 2003
Bedok
www.yuhwoeiphotography.net
Hi yall,

My first series of The Esplanade and the areas around it, shot with Velvia 50. Just scanned and resized them, colours not touched. Would appreciate comments on them. Thanks.

Shot from Anderson Bridge
011-01.jpg

1/125 f/8

Everyone seems to have one of this shot
011-02.jpg

1/125 f/8

Tried to capture some movement of people under Esplanade Bridge, it was not slow enough.
011-03.jpg

1/60 f/8

Anderson Bridge
011-04.jpg

1/90 f/8

Fins and palms
011-05.jpg

1/60 f/8

Nice shots. Love the colors. What did u use to scan yr film?

shutterfly said:
Nice shots. Love the colors. What did u use to scan yr film?

Hi,

Minolta Scan Dual 3 was used to scan them. I was afraid the colours might look too unrealistic even though they were straight out of the scanner with auto-exposure set off. So I did not try to tweak them.

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers!

skyline_impreza said:
Nice sky. When did you took them?

Hi,

These were shot in the late afternoon on the Sunday with the big balloon event. Cloudless and very very blue especially when looking in the direction opposite the sun.

Did not use any polarizer nor warming filters, only had a skylight on. And if you can see in the shots, there's actually some vignetting. :cry:

Cheers!

absolutely love your shot of anderson bridge. very good composition and the vignetting is a nice touch. great colours too.

Nice shots :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ... I like the first and 4th one... 4th one good coposition...

hi UY79,

i like your photos, and i'm especially impressed by your scanned quality. i got a new dual scan 4, but i can't get the quality to get. i'm using the scanner for my fuji 400 colour negatives and there are specks all over the place (Even though i used a blower), and the colours and exposures are screwed up. any advise on how i can rectify? thanks.

Cool stuff. Nice contrast wonderful blues in the skies. How close are the scans to the color in the slides ?

JermsDayOut said:
hi UY79,

i like your photos, and i'm especially impressed by your scanned quality. i got a new dual scan 4, but i can't get the quality to get. i'm using the scanner for my fuji 400 colour negatives and there are specks all over the place (Even though i used a blower), and the colours and exposures are screwed up. any advise on how i can rectify? thanks.

Hi,

Some specks of dirt can only be cleaned using cloth or brush. Some of this dirt gets onto the film during developing and there's no way to get rid of them. It's almost impossible to get a scan that's spotless. Usually they have to be edited away. But if you scan at high resolutions and scale it down, the specks usually will disappear.

Negatives are much more of a hassle to scan. I usually set the scanner to auto expose negatives and do adjustments later on as I've given up on trying to correct a negative scan without auto exposure. Post processing such as adjustments to levels are almost unavoidable for negatives. This usually will help to bring out the colours in the scan.

For slides, I'll set auto exposure off, as there's little adjustments most of the time if the exposure of the slide is correct.

Negative grains usually are more visible in scans, they usually dot the whole scan making the scan looks bad. Scaling the scan down to 4R size will make it look ok. Slide grains are much more fine. They are usually not visible in most of my slide scans.

Applying unsharpen mask after scanning usually will help with sharpening the scans. But the amount to apply depends on photo itself.

Hope this is of help to you.

Cheers!

wow this is alot of help man!!! thanks UY79!!! by the way, have you tried B&W scanning? is so, what's your setting? thanks in advance :)

insomia said:
Cool stuff. Nice contrast wonderful blues in the skies. How close are the scans to the color in the slides ?

Hi,

The blues on the slide looks better, slightly lighter than the screen.

JermsDayOut said:
wow this is alot of help man!!! thanks UY79!!! by the way, have you tried B&W scanning? is so, what's your setting? thanks in advance :)

Yes, did it once only. Just set it to scan black and white negatives.

Seems rather dark in some of the photos, maybe 1 up in exp. may do some good?

spurssy said:
Seems rather dark in some of the photos, maybe 1 up in exp. may do some good?

Hi,

Some are indeed slightly dark. However, I feel it's not a matter of exposure. If I were to expose 1 stop over, highlights will be blown. I think the problem in my scans lies with midtones, they appear slightly under but they are ok on the slides.

I've tried to push the midtones up and they look better. Maybe I'll post it here when I have time. Thanks for pointing this out.

Cheers!

excellent angles, great colours.. my favourite's the one of anderson bridge...!! but i think your photos are a lil' underexposed.. other than that i think they're all really nice... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.