Esplanade : No Photography Allowed? Ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Hi,

Went for a photo shoot at the Esplanded with a few offstoners today, and we were so shocked that photography is NOT allowed INSIDE the building, INCLUDING the open air rooftop which oversees the skyline and sea.

The moment I stepped into the open roof top, a young chap who was the security politely told me that no photography is allowed. I just sorta said, "okay".

While he was away, we took a few more shots. Another photog far away is even setting up a tripod, and 1 level below, another photog is also shooting. He soon came back and told us no photography allowed. His boss did not tell him why, but he was just told to tell visitors that no photography was allowed in the compounds. But shooting the building from OUTSIDE is allowed. Absurd.

Thinking that maybe only SLR-types were not allowed, we watched what would happen to a family taking family snaps. Same thing, he walked up to the family and told them that photography is not allowed.

The irony: While making our way out of the building for a cuppa, we saw a Kodak Express lab under construction. Why open a lab when there's no photography allowed? So that people can buy film then shoot OUTSIDE?

I find the whole thing strange, as the Esplanade is supposed to be the Centre of the Arts for Singapore. And photography IS considered an art form right? What's with the management of the building that they must so strictly enforce a "no photography" rule in the compounds? Why spend $600 million building the building then, when you don't even allow people to take photos of the building from the open rooftop (and possibly the courtyard as well) ?

Regards
CK

Why not write to the Straits Times forum and hopefully, we can get an explaination from the management.

Last time I did a shoot at the Esplanade for STB, the management gave me a feeling that they're really "face" orientated.

I think we should either call up the management or mail them a formal enquiry on why photography is not allowed. It is extremely ridiculous for them to ban photography in a building that is built for the sole purpose of promoting arts.

I wonder what will be their explaination.

Originally posted by Kit
Why not write to the Straits Times forum and hopefully, we can get an explaination from the management.

Last time I did a shoot at the Esplanade for STB, the management gave me a feeling that they're really "face" orientated.

Tempted to. :)

Wah liao, this is as good as saying you can't photograph the Sydney Opera House from inside man. $600 million for a pair of durian shell and they don't even let people take photos!? Too ugly or what? ;p

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Tempted to. :)

Wah liao, this is as good as saying you can't photograph the Sydney Opera House from inside man. $600 million for a pair of durian shell and they don't even let people take photos!? Too ugly or what? ;p

Regards
CK

Hehe......you must understand that people running art facilities might not be artistic at all.:D

Originally posted by Kit
I've been to one of those meetings they held. Like so many other precedents, 600 million is used to BUY art, not develope it.;(

*sigh*

Arts in Singapore will never make it at this rate.

And why have a lab inside at all? :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

*sigh*

Arts in Singapore will never make it at this rate.

And why have a lab inside at all? :)

Regards
CK

Well, I guess when it comes to filling up retail spaces, anything goes...........................:dunno:

It's just another placeto promote ARTS with a HIGHER PRICE due to the 600M thrown into it. They can ask from the performing groups to pay for and their margin will be lower. Imagine the Cats and Les Miserables all sold out with tixs at price of $300. I think people will still go and see. ARTS in Singapore is not for people...it's for people with $$$ to throw.

Well I happen to be there too and spotted some clubsnappers taking a break at some unopened restaurant? ;)

I must say, the security there is pretty 'YaYa' (in malay?) about the place. I saw a group of them confronting a rollerblader (probably telling him its not allowed to rollerblade outside the building!). The rollerblader's response was there wasn't any sign indicating so... and guess what their (security) replies were... not making this up... it was like: "this is our building... we do what ever we like...";(

BTW, I encountered the same problem with security at Milennia Walk too while taking photos of the Roy Lichenstein sculptures...

What's the problem with these people??? :thumbsd:

i think they all too paranoid... let's write in to the straits times forum and demand an answer.

I did a shoot at esplanade before, and I had to sign a contract with them, even though I was shooting for a theatre company.

I did take photos from the roof and was approached by a staff to stop. The reason given then was because the explande wasn't officially finished yet, hence any picture of the place does not represent the explanade properly..

I think up till now, the place isn't properly completed yet, hence I believe the reason would be the same.... and I think it sounds resonable... least people start forming wrong ideas/views about the place because they saw a picture of the unfinished esplanade....

oh ya, the staff did say that if I want to take picture, just write in for permission....

Originally posted by rueyloon
I did a shoot at esplanade before, and I had to sign a contract with them, even though I was shooting for a theatre company.

I did take photos from the roof and was approached by a staff to stop. The reason given then was because the explande wasn't officially finished yet, hence any picture of the place does not represent the explanade properly..

I think up till now, the place isn't properly completed yet, hence I believe the reason would be the same.... and I think it sounds resonable... least people start forming wrong ideas/views about the place because they saw a picture of the unfinished esplanade....

oh ya, the staff did say that if I want to take picture, just write in for permission....

To me, that's a lame excuse. Are the durians going to be changed? How much more different can it get? It's not like some top secret beta software that some company is developing that they cannot let outsiders have a copy right?

And what's with all these sg companies being so paranoid about photography?

Regards
CK

if they're not ready to receive the public then they should have known better than to open its premises to the public so soon.

Yup, lame excuse. The Federation Square development overhere in Melbourne is months away from opening. Yet, the management had organised tours for the public for a few times already.

No rollerblading outside the building? Then why is it called the ESPLANADE??? Seems like the management is doing things that is exactly the opposite of what they said the building is built for. The public was not engaged in the design process and now it seems that the building is not for the masses afterall.

i was there today at abt 6pm and there were many pple at the rooftop taking fotos... as well as some using camcorders... so maybe they finally realised tt they shld stop being unreasonable?

But i saw the big sign tt says no photography n videography in the lobby area though...

I was there today too! Saw 2 security guards confronting the roller blader. the poor chap was being locked on the neck by a big sized security with one hand and sent off to one of the exits.

Originally posted by Mudpool
I was there today too! Saw 2 security guards confronting the roller blader. the poor chap was being locked on the neck by a big sized security with one hand and sent off to one of the exits.

really!? sheesh.. so much for 'art'..

Hey guys, let's remind ourselves that Big Brother is watching or imposing the rules!

No soccer, no littering, no drinking on MRT trains, yes, even your mineral water, so no photography or roller blading is another new fad. We can go on with a list of No's....

Singapore is a country that has lotsa $$$ and we spend a lot to make ourselves look good, clean and neat. But inside, it's pretty empty or quite the opposite. What do I mean?

We've got nice green fields but hardly anyone uses them often. And some guy once said Singapore's aim is to qualify for World Cup in 2010. Big miracle please!

We are told we've got strict rules on food, but we never got anything as stringent as the FDA (Food and Drugs Administration) in the US. Sure, we've got HSA but anyone who knows how they work there, heh-heh. Hint: Think Slim 10.

NUS/NTU to be a world class university? Sure, employ China lecturers who can hardly speak good English, let alone teach well. Make them produce research papers. Wow, look, NUS/NTU have produced more papers than some big uni overseas! Sounds good eh? But how are our own undergrads coping with these lecturers?

Join the SAF. Commands respect. The scholars will always tell u that when u read their rosy stories in the papers. Sounds good eh? The strange thing is, I've never once come across non-regulars (officers included) who didn't swear or lament about SAF. With an exception of a former officer I know. BUT he's a president's and SAF scholar. Surprised?

Singapore to be groomed as an arts hub??? Why kid ourselves? Just ask yourself the role and status of a photographer here. To a typical layman, he is probably just someone who owns a camera and goes round shooting. Compare this to one say in the UK or US.

So back to the topic. Esplanade...no photography. Nevermind. We have a new landmark. Singapore is hyped up to be an arty farty nation. Look at the unique beautiful design!! Modern art. We have the $$$. We spent so much. We are now so much into arts. But remember, no photography pls. Don’t mess the place. You photographers crowd round like an unlawful assembly. We need to keep the place tidy. We need to look good in front of our many visitors and tourists. Pls, we want to show the world we are gearing towards No.1!!!

The straits times forum is an avenue where pple bang their heads on the wall bcos of the frustrations they feel about certain things. But in itself, it is another one of those “look good” newspapers which can claim freedom of speech in anything you want to say. But you really think you can change the rules set down by the “VVIP HIGHER AUTHORITIES”?

We listen to unspoken rules and someone, somewhere tells the lower pple down there that they have to be adhered to without fail. So the security guy is just doing his job. Even if you get a reason form the authorities, I'm sure it won't sound satisfactory. But let's get back to reality. We have to listen to rules and be frightened by the fines, punishment and "Can't dos" so that we will be good like little children. Big brother is watching with a cane in his hand!

Status
Not open for further replies.