Esplanade Cancel New Year Eve Fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ransoma22

Mar 31, 2002
KTV Lounge Hall
Received this email from friend that Esplanade cancelled the fireworks display.
Most of the countdown event in Other countries had been cancelled as well.

PRESS ADVISORY December 30 2004 New Year’s Eve Remembrance

Programme At Esplanade Esplanade’s New Year’s Eve programme this year will pay tribute to lives lost in the recent tsunami tragedy, and offer a platform for Singaporeans to get together, in remembrance, and also in hope. Since its opening in Oct 2002, the New Year's Eve programme at Esplanade has traditionally been a contemplative one, appealing to those who prefer more introspective activities. Performances of music and poetry, and letter reading sessions take place throughout the evening. A minute’s silence is observed in place of a countdown. In previous years it would then culminate in a fireworks display at midnight, accompanied by specially-composed music. This year, in light of the tragedy unfolding around us, it would be more appropriate to usher in the new year in a more contemplative manner. We shall therefore cancel the fireworks planned and reserve it for a more appropriate occasion in the future.
This New Year’s eve we want to offer Singaporeans a place to gather as a community, to offer hope, and through the arts, a platform for the public to reflect - whether it is to give thanks for a safe home, to remember those who perished, or to offer personal prayers for those still missing. We are also working with the Red Cross to collect donations.

Quoted from:

http://www.esplanade.com/download/web/press_centre/press_month01/NYEve04Advisory3.pdf

*The fireworks display at midnight has been cancelled in view of the recent tsunami tragedy. The organisers are facilitating “Mercy Relief” and its institutional partners: Singapore Soka Association (SSA), Young Sikh Association (YSA) and the Singapore Red Cross Society (SRCS) to have donation boxes manned by their volunteers at the Countdown venue. We strongly encourage the public and our event-goers to generously give to the victims of the tragedy.

http://www.sentosa.com.sg/events_promo/events_ncd05.htm

Thanks for the info. I hope the performances at the Esplanade outdoor stage should be carry out as planned?

:thumbsup: for the Esplanade New Year Countdown organizers as well as Sentosa. In fact most of the other countdown parties in sg should be toned down as a mark of respect to those who perished in the tragedy. I read from the newspapers that Malaysia and Thailand have cancelled all New Year's Eve celebrations and instead planned to hold memorial services and prayer sessions for the victims of the tsunami. Singapore should follow suit.

[edit: add in Sentosa]

Garion said:
:thumbsup: for the Esplanade New Year Countdown organizers. In fact most of the other countdown parties in sg should be toned down as a mark of respect to those who perished in the tragedy. I read from the newspapers that Malaysia and Thailand have cancelled all New Year's Eve celebrations and instead planned to hold memorial services and prayer sessions for the victims of the tsunami. Singapore should follow suit.

yup, with around 200 Singaporeans still unaccounted for we are very much part of this disaster :(

eikin said:
yup, with around 200 Singaporeans still unaccounted for we are very much part of this disaster :(
Yah man....I dun see how ppl got the mood to celebrate with this depressing piece of news... :cry: Just hope and pray that they are fine...

kudos to esplande and sentosa. now... if only the organisers of Countdown Singapore will take the hint and tone down/cancel the "biggest beach party" at sentosa tomorrow. :embrass:

I am glad to see that we are responding in a sensitive manner towards our neighbours.

Drudkh said:
Thanks for the info. I hope the performances at the Esplanade outdoor stage should be carry out as planned?

bro... performances will be still now..... coz i`m shooting video for them tomorrow..... if u guys see me.... pls say HI!!!!

Pyrotechnics and countdown will be cancelled at The Arts House too. In place of it will be a minute of silence to be observed when the clock strikes 12th. However, the event will still carry on, but in a more solemn manner.

In addition, The Arts House management has announced earlier that it will donate all proceeds of her first Countdown Party, Asia Major!, to the victims of the Asia Tsunami. The funds will be given to the Red Cross for humanitarian efforts in Indonesia and Thailand. Please give your fullest support there.

I'll be there as the photographer. If you happen to see me, say hi to me and we'll pray together for the victims to find strength to carry on with life. :cry:

The event

The press release on cancellation of pyrotechnics

This is a very good symbolic move by all those involved ...... maybe we postpone the fireworks to the 15th day of the Chinese NEw Year..... for good luck and peace in the new year

i'll be wearing a black T-shirt bearing my company name: Academy Video Productions...

I`ll be shooting Video @ esplanade... Doing Roaming Camera.. Remember to say Hi to me..... So said i got to work in New Year Eve.... :bsmilie:

Yo, I'll be there as well, I'm the roving photographer for the Esplanade that night. Supposed to be going to the 65th floor for the fireworks, now I'll moving around the Esplanade Ground. If you see a guy using a Canon Camera with a Nikon Flash, that's me, because my canon flash is in the hospital.

Cheers !!

sigh...i prefer the irish way of looking at things. Their souls are with god now. Rejoice for they have reached a better place. Let us look not at what has passed but ahead into the future.

jacnjil said:
eerr..just wondering--is the mardi gras parade/countdown at clarke quay also cancelled? anyone has an idea? thanks..

Yes. Should be still ongoing.
http://www.clarkequay.com.sg/eventindex.htm

Guys, do take note only FIREWORKS DISPLAY is CANCELLED. The countdown event at both Esplanade and Sentosa will still proceed... :)

ransoma22 said:
Yes. Should be still ongoing.
http://www.clarkequay.com.sg/eventindex.htm

Guys, do take note only FIREWORKS DISPLAY is CANCELLED. The countdown event at both Esplanade and Sentosa will still proceed... :)

Virgo said:
Yep. Everything will still proceed except the fireworks and pyrotechnics display.

guys, thanks for the info...

No problem. You're all welcome.

Do go down, enjoy the count down while saying our prayers for the less fortunate one out there and hope that everything will be fine, if not better, in the coming year. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.