Escalator

litlefiter

Feb 13, 2010
Singapore
www.flickr.com
4874700069_e4d4b85e4b_z.jpg

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
I would like to have critique on the composition of the photo. When i first saw this on an Escalator in Orchard Central, i was intrigued by the lines and reflections that i saw. Thus, this photo is meant to reflect that.

Also, the depth of field may not be enough IMO. i would like to have your opinion on that too.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Through this photo i hope to show the lines and reflections that i saw when i travelled up the escalator.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
As I had said in (1.), i was travelling up the long escalators in Orchard Central, i saw this sight and quickly took out my camera. I had to rush to take this picture as i did not have much time to fiddle with camera settings before reaching the end of the escalator journey.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I feel that this picture could be taken again with the right settings and adjust myself a little to get a straighter perspective. However, other than that, i m quite satisfied with the lines and reflections that this picture managed to convey.

Thanks for your critiques! I appreciate every single one of them :)

If you like this picture, feel free to visit my flickr page, the link is in my signature. :)

i like the general idea you're working on here with the converging lines.... the image however seems to be crying out for a main anchoring line or subject

apologies, i am bad at commenting on abstracts

best of luck !! :thumbsup:

i like the general idea you're working on here with the converging lines.... the image however seems to be crying out for a main anchoring line or subject

apologies, i am bad at commenting on abstracts

best of luck !! :thumbsup:

Thanks for viewing and for your comments =D i know abstract is quite subjective and so everyone has different views. so there is no 1 right or wrong answer to a good or bad abstract.

I agree about the lack of main subject in the image as the escalator itself might be distracting viewers from the converging lines. will try to work on that!

Hi lite, nice shot! I've got a similar shot, orchard central right. I don't like it personally because I find it makes me feel giddy dunno why, seriously! But, nice one :)

Hi lite, nice shot! I've got a similar shot, orchard central right. I don't like it personally because I find it makes me feel giddy dunno why, seriously! But, nice one :)

thanks :) Yep, it is orchard central. The escalators are really high up from the ground, so it can be quite terrifying to look down :eek: <- like this

i like the photo. does invoke some thoughts. it looks like you are looking up vertically a building.

Going down?? I thought it's going up....

I agree that a lack of a main subject makes the photo less interesting. It would probably help if there was a figure at the top of the escalator, say a father holding his son's hand or something interesting. You may want to revisit the location to try and recreate a more interesting shot.

Also, the landscape orientation of the picture doesn't really work. The wide areas on the side are kind of conflicting with the converging lines of the escalator. You may want to try shooting in portrait orientation.

Just my two cents' worth.

This was taken at normal eye level height, right? May I be so bold as to suggest trying a different eye level, such as squating down to get a lower point of view?

I also find the length of the elevator nothing spectacular. Like you said, you rushed to take this pic as you were already on the way up. If you were serious about the pic, can try to head down and do another one up, after setting up your camera properly. I believe that practise makes perfect, and doing it a lot, you may get more than one pic and can choose from various settings.

I actually was wondering whether this is vertically up, diagonally up or a horizontal escalator/travelator. Haha. Cool. :thumbsup: