ERP rates to go up by S$0.50 at certain gantries from Feb 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin

Jun 4, 2005
TPY
By Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 28 January 2008 1735 hrs

SINGAPORE: Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) rates are set to go up by S$0.50 starting 4 February, according to the Land Transport Authority.

At the Bukit Timah Expressway gantry, motorists will be charged S$1.00 from 7.30am to 8am, and S$1.50 from 8am to 8.30am.

At the Central Expressway (CTE) gantry north of Braddell Road, ERP rates will go up to S$1.00 for those driving from 7.00am to 7.30am. The same charge applies to those driving along the Pan-Island Expressway (PIE) at Adam Road from 8am to 8.30am.

Those going through the nine gantries at Orchard Road, the YMCA and Fort Canning gantries will have to fork out S$1.00 on weekdays from 7pm to 8pm. The same charge applies for those gantries on Saturday afternoons as well, from 5.30pm to 6.30pm. - CNA/ac

ERP i just hate it hate it:angry::angry:

wa... go orchard now got to pay $1 liao ....

they might as well put up gantries on every entrance/exit of parking lots and on the gates of every landed homes.

government raise ERP charges, people complained, people still use the roads, the whole episode dies down later. so, it's like no effect at all.

motorists are not helping the situation here. i know there are some who can't help it. but there are those who can.

the price of everything is going up except my pay. :cry:

oh, don't we love having it all!

COE-price.gif

a picture says a thousand words, perhaps it is going up... if you view it upside down :)

buying a car is entering a trap of endless payment to the road gantries.

btw, rise in oil does not lead to rise in ERP hor...

they might as well put up gantries on every entrance/exit of parking lots and on the gates of every landed homes.

government raise ERP charges, people complained, people still use the roads, the whole episode dies down later. so, it's like no effect at all.

motorists are not helping the situation here. i know there are some who can't help it. but there are those who can.

that's the whole point but do you think most singaporeans care? Complain for a while then lan lan suck thumb at the end of the day, this is also what the gahment might want, increase, let you pple kpkb for a while then take it as nothing and then later, pocket is full of cash. Might as well implement wireless gantry or charge by per km on road tax, the more you drive the more they charge

Reaction: T_T

edit: as a driver, i try to leave home by 630am or 11am to avoid ERP. Now it seems I must leave my house at 6am? WTF?

Don't you see. All the additional charges are just a plan to earn back what they had rightfully deemed as theirs.

As night86mare has kindly illustrated in that chart. The sharp dip in COEs have meant less takings... so how? Tax the car owner in another way lor...

that's the whole point but do you think most singaporeans care? Complain for a while then lan lan suck thumb at the end of the day, this is also what the gahment might want, increase, let you pple kpkb for a while then take it as nothing and then later, pocket is full of cash. Might as well implement wireless gantry or charge by per km on road tax, the more you drive the more they charge

i only know that i don't want to own a car and end up taking longer than if i walk to work

just look to bangkok and you have your answer too, it's not all about the cash

if you ask me i think they should just slap down hard, do it london style and implement $20 entry to city, straight away no more congestion <3

i only know that i don't want to own a car and end up taking longer than if i walk to work

if you ask me i think they should just slap down hard, do it london style and implement $20 entry to city, straight away no more congestion <3

Very perceptive and understanding of you. While I can understand that as well, what I can't understand, is why when I'm leaving the city, whether I take the ECP or the PIE, I still need to pay ERP.

Good way to put it.

I was driving up the CTE tonight and I paid in two ERP 2.50. I wondered why am I paying this and still get this lousy traffic. Get the ERP higher !!!!

At least 10 bucks.

And BTW, I also want to see ERP on other things. Everywhere there is basicaly a queue forming.

Use your imagination....to be continued......

ERP! The one you love to hate !:devil:

Very perceptive and understanding of you. While I can understand that as well, what I can't understand, is why when I'm leaving the city, whether I take the ECP or the PIE, I still need to pay ERP.
...there's a reason why the ecp and pie jams lor

also why that time i take taxi from labrador to sim lim square kena PWNED

it's all about the congestion, blah blah blah

Good way to put it.

I was driving up the CTE tonight and I paid in two ERP 2.50. I wondered why am I paying this and still get this lousy traffic. Get the ERP higher !!!!
yeah, oh well, the mayor of london wasn't too popular after he proposed the congestion charge :bsmilie::bsmilie:

seriously though, i thought more singaporeans should be happy, this is what they wanted! everyone wanted their 5cs! now they will have their car, too bad it's getting expensive to use it.. but heyyyyyy, be careful what you wish for

in any case - if you can afford a honking what, 20k car? (at least) after all your poor, slave-driven lives in oh-so-expensive singapore, after all those oh-so-expensive over-priced donuts which kill you but you just can't keep your hands off.. after all the oh-so-expensive cameras that er, you also can't keep your hands off, after all the oh-so-expensive lenses, that you can't keep your hands off, boy, i think you can afford $15 more a month.

p.s. i think they should also put a donut queue tax. the donut queues, when i was last in sg, blocked my way in raffles city, i think. so irritating

...there's a reason why the ecp and pie jams lor

also why that time i take taxi from labrador to sim lim square kena PWNED

it's all about the congestion, blah blah blah

So the argument shifts everytime the reasoning changes. So they would always have a reason to increase the ERP. Because the people accepts that the basic reasoning can change.

If the basic reasoning for ERP is to reduce congestion in the city areas, routes that lead away from city shouldn't be payable at all.

If the basic reasoning for ERP is to reduce congestion in all areas, then COE shouldn't decrease to increase the vehicle population at all.

So the argument shifts everytime the reasoning changes. So they would always have a reason to increase the ERP. Because the people accepts that the basic reasoning can change.

If the basic reasoning for ERP is to reduce congestion in the city areas, routes that lead away from city shouldn't be payable at all.

If the basic reasoning for ERP is to reduce congestion in all areas, then COE shouldn't decrease to increase the vehicle population at all.

but howwwww everyone wants a car! it's the in thing to have, even though we DO have a world-class transportation system. i mean, what better way than to show off how affluent we are, we can rub it in the faces of people who don't own cars!

you like reasoning so much, how's this for reasoning - is a car a need or a want? how big is singapore? how unhealthy is singapore? how much people need much more exercise?

oh, are you going to bring up that spastic argument that i kindly debunked for someone else a long long time ago, something about our what uh, erp causes public transportation prices to rise la, and then vice versa la, then prices go up and up and up la.

since WHEN, in a city, have you ever seen prices go down, unless some seriously crazy rubbish is going on that you won't like either? the london papers are proudly announcing and splashing advertorials about how they managed to keep the tube fares constant this year. erm, ok, but i won't have minded paying 50p more per trip from the current 1 pound fifty to get a more decent train ride each time.

i'm thinking - we use the car a lot more than we need it. what's a car for? we have been spoilt. in larger cities than ours people are more than happy to use other means of transport, cars are actually a backup when there is a heavy load, a family outing.

btw, last time wanton mee how much ar, during my ahkong's time it was very cheap, i think 20cents, now $3. oh no no no, it's all because of taxes. :bsmilie:

you know, back when i was in jc, the time from my house to my jc by car was 25 minutes. the time from my nearest mrt station to my jc by er, of course mrt was 30 minutes. of course i had to walk 20 minutes more. of course i had to get up slightly earlier. so what? :dunno:

but howwwww everyone wants a car! it's the in thing to have, even though we DO have a world-class transportation system. i mean, what better way than to show off how affluent we are, we can rub it in the faces of people who don't own cars!

you like reasoning so much, how's this for reasoning - is a car a need or a want? how big is singapore? how unhealthy is singapore? how much people need much more exercise?

oh, are you going to bring up that spastic argument that i kindly debunked for someone else a long long time ago, something about our what uh, erp causes public transportation prices to rise la, and then vice versa la, then prices go up and up and up la.

since WHEN, in a city, have you ever seen prices go down, unless some seriously crazy rubbish is going on that you won't like either? the london papers are proudly announcing and splashing advertorials about how they managed to keep the tube fares constant this year. erm, ok, but i won't have minded paying 50p more per trip from the current 1 pound fifty to get a more decent train ride each time.

i'm thinking - we use the car a lot more than we need it. what's a car for? we have been spoilt. in larger cities than ours people are more than happy to use other means of transport, cars are actually a backup when there is a heavy load, a family outing.

btw, last time wanton mee how much ar, during my ahkong's time it was very cheap, i think 20cents, now $3. oh no no no, it's all because of taxes. :bsmilie:

you know, back when i was in jc, the time from my house to my jc by car was 25 minutes. the time from my nearest mrt station to my jc by er, of course mrt was 30 minutes. of course i had to walk 20 minutes more. of course i had to get up slightly earlier. so what? :dunno:

I don't argue in circles, and don't argue for the sake of it. My premise is simple.

1)Singapore has the perfect instrument to reduce overall congestion through the COE. The implementation had been smooth and successful, and the people had accepted it.

2) ERP implementation is a less direct curb as compared to COE, but still necessary to control traffic volume is city areas.

However, being able to use ERP as an excuse to be implemented anywhere and everywhere where's there's heavy traffic, and yet at the same time lowering COE, is akin to being responsible for the increased traffic density, and yet profiting from it at the same time. So the government cannot use that as a reasoning for implementing and adjusting the ERP.

Sorry I chose to skip your grandfather stories. And sorry for quoting your post. The arguments were not targeted at you per se, but on the issue and the flawed excuses I've grown tired of reading.

I don't argue in circles, and don't argue for the sake of it. My premise is simple.

1)Singapore has the perfect instrument to reduce overall congestion through the COE. The implementation had been smooth and successful, and the people had accepted it.

2) ERP implementation is a less direct curb as compared to COE, but still necessary to control traffic volume is city areas.

However, being able to use ERP as an excuse to be implemented anywhere and everywhere where's there's heavy traffic, and yet at the same time lowering COE, is akin to being responsible for the increased traffic density, and yet profiting from it at the same time. So the government cannot use that as a reasoning for implementing and adjusting the ERP.

Sorry I chose to skip your grandfather stories. And sorry for quoting your post. The arguments were not targeted at you per se, but on the issue and the flawed excuses I've grown tired of reading.
how are they profiting? at least you should try to see where they're coming from

this, to me, isn't quite a horrible idea - it allows ownership of a car, should one need it, WHILE ensuring that traffic levels remain relatively controllable. and come on, you just need to tax one x bank ceo probably more than erp earnings pls. the government doesn't really benefit monetarily, and why should they? i am amazed that you would use the word "profiting" in tandem with "government". this is singapore, not some amazing country where you can offer coffee money to a government official. perhaps you have been watching too much movies, but thankfully, we still take a relatively hardball approach to corruption.

i sincerely doubt your premise is simple - there is an obvious bias in the wording and tone used, thus how can you fault me for casting doubt on your very reasoning? and oh, please don't give us the "i'm tired" argument - take a quick look at all the kopitiam threads that i've posted regarding such issues, and your very argument has been read by ME from probably 800,000 different parties. perhaps all of you are reading the same book, but think that your ideas are new. :bsmilie: perhaps this self-given credit is less due than you think it is. your idea is old, it is not refreshing, and i do not see how keeping coe high while keeping erp low is going to benefit anyone. you end up with a situation where all that excellent infrastructure (in terms of roads) is wasted, after years of building it up.

i also doubt that this is going to make you think any further, because hey, i've been around for pretty long in this section (considering the amount of time i spend), i have perhaps only convinced one person of my point of view, the rest just end up repeating themselves, as you have done here, thinking that they are have discovered gold, and struck on a new idea that no one else has thought through before - and that in itself, is a failure in logic.

to put it another way, do you honestly think it is better to have a situation, where
a) everyone has a telephone, but it costs significant amounts of money to use it
b) only certain people have telephone, and they can use it cheaply

you tell me. and a telephone is probably much more important than a car, in today's context, at least for the urbanised. now - i'm thinking, you have a car, and you're pissed because you expected it to remain as b. and you're sore, because now it's going to be a, and you detest it because things didn't work out the way you wanted them to. but hey! i'm in favour of a, because as far as i can see, i'm going to be used to it from day one when i eventually get a car. see the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.