Erm... i didn't use this function for 1 year plus...

xxdoggyxx

Feb 19, 2010
Right behind you. :P
Hi guys, hope you can spare the time to explain to me what does :
canon_5dmk2_controls_grip.jpg
the one in red is???

I tried googling about this but without the proper term to call it, its so hard to find!!!

Hope can spare some time to explain to me...

It is the metering mode. Currently it is set at center-weighted metering. There is also spot metering (meters at the AF point you selected - but for Canon, for bodies other than the 1D series, spot metering meters only at the center AF point), and matrix metering (I leave it at this for most situations)

Last edited:
Yes that is the metering modes. The one shown now is symbol for center weighted metering mode. Please read your camera user manual on explanation for what each mode does and how to use them.

Yes that is the metering modes. The one shown now is symbol for center weighted metering mode. Please read your camera user manual on explanation for what each mode does and how to use them.

Oh, right. Center weighted. Can't remember all these symbols lol, I set mine at matrix and leave it there, unless I happen to need spot metering

It is the metering mode. Currently it is set at center-weighted metering. There is also spot metering (meters at the AF point you selected - but for Canon, for bodies other than the 1D series, spot metering meters only at the center AF point), and matrix metering (I leave it at this for most situations)

Oh, right. Center weighted. Can't remember all these symbols lol, I set mine at matrix and leave it there, unless I happen to need spot metering

The mode shown on your cam is actually Evaluative Mode - like Nikon's Matrix metering. The camera takes into account the whole screen to determine the metering.

More explanation on canon metering modes here:
http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2666

Thanks all for the explanation.

Daredevil123: I lost my manual... Thought it was nothing important at first...Haha :D

Cheers and thanks all. :D

Ah well, Nikon and Canon are slightly different in metering modes and the symbols

Thanks all for the explanation.

Daredevil123: I lost my manual... Thought it was nothing important at first...Haha :D

Cheers and thanks all. :D

You can still download an electronic copy. Just google for it.