Equipments to bring for Taiwan trip

danwee84

Mar 22, 2011
Hi all!!
I need some suggestions on the equipments to bring for my taiwan trip on 18-21Aug. I will be going to Alishan and Taipei for 2 days each. Main things to capture will be
Alishan
the sunrise and sunset, the 'sea of clouds' filliing up the valleys of the mountains ,the sacred tree,
Taipei
night landscape of Taipei 101+ cityscape from elephant hill, lovers bridge at Dan Shui, street life at night markets and ximending.

I only have a D7000, 50mm 1.8D, 70-300, 18-105 kit lens, tripod, CPL, SB700, shutter release. Any need for a ND or GND filter?

Thanks!!

d7000 is a must, use 18-105 for landscapes and as a all in one zoom, then have the 50mm prime for creative shots in the nightmarkets etc. would be nice to have ND filters to take long exposure for landscapes, which means tripod is necessary as well. Shutter release is up to you, but i wouldnt bring it to save weight because you can always set a timer with mirror up mode. flash is not necessary unless youre going there to shoot events/models. d7000's ISO is more than capable of shooting in really dim available light.

Last edited:
definitely bring the GND, should be able to use it to great effect at alishan for the sea of clouds to balance out the exposure. Same for Danshui sunset.

So should I get the ND filters or the GND filters?
definitely bring the GND, should be able to use it to great effect at alishan for the sea of clouds to balance out the exposure. Same for Danshui sunset.

if u r comfortable using GND filter, u can get it with the adaptor for your 18-105mm filter thread size.
most ppl use cokin holder at 84mm width. some ppl use lee's filters which are 100mm wide.

filters are not a must. some people prefer without it, while some like the effect and dun mind the cumbersome usage.

a tripod is also not a must for the sunrise at alishan as it usually get bright enough without the need for tripod. however u r most likely to get stuck at your tripod location (with many people around) during sunrise, so much so that it is most likely not your best shot. you are more likely to get your fav shots at less crowded locations, such as the tree at tataka prior to the sunrise, it is dark pre-dawn and tripod will be useful.

Hi all!!
I need some suggestions on the equipments to bring for my taiwan trip on 18-21Aug. I will be going to Alishan and Taipei for 2 days each. Main things to capture will be
Alishan
the sunrise and sunset, the 'sea of clouds' filliing up the valleys of the mountains ,the sacred tree,
Taipei
night landscape of Taipei 101+ cityscape from elephant hill, lovers bridge at Dan Shui, street life at night markets and ximending.

I only have a D7000, 50mm 1.8D, 70-300, 18-105 kit lens, tripod, CPL, SB700, shutter release. Any need for a ND or GND filter?

Thanks!!

a ND will be useful if you want to try long exposure, capturing cloud movements. GND for sunsets/sunrise.

Flash gun would be useful to light up your foreground during sunsets/sunrise.

you current gear + GND should be enough. :D

BTW, lover's bridge is @ Yu Ren Ma Tou, a boat/bus ride away from Danshui.

don't forget rain gear ;p