Equipments for a Wedding Event?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liangerism

Jul 25, 2007
sidewaysphotographique.com
hi all,

i'm planning to shoot for my friend's wedding day and it's my 1st attempt.
but i dunno what are the essential equipments that i shd bring along for that day.

i currently own a nikon d80, a 18-135mm kit lens, a 50mm prime and a SB600 flash unit.
shd i bring both of my lenses along? and what else shd i need?

thanks in advance!

hi all,

but i dunno what are the essential equipments that i shd bring along for that day.

i currently own a nikon d80, a 18-135mm kit lens, a 50mm prime and a SB600 flash unit.

thanks in advance!

you're going to ATTEMPT to shoot your friend's biggest day of his life? are you sure you're up to the job? isn't it safer to hire a professional photographer or at least someone who has done it before?

for your questions, bring both. =) spare batts.

If you're going to be fully busy like a back-up photographer, remember to bring extra batts for your cam and flash, and maybe bring another memory card. Remember to watch out for anyone who might steal your stuff too. And don't get in the way of the official photographer =)

I'd reckon that you're pretty much going to glue the 18-135 and flash to your camera, but just bring the prime in case you want to take ambient light only shots.

What kind of a wedding is it? Church wedding? Chinese-styled dinner wedding?

If it's chinese dinner wedding, you might want to invest a few dollars to get some color correction filters for your flash. But that's only if you know how to use it and don't find it a hassle.

it's a chinese customary wedding. and i'll be shooting for the day event only.

ermm... and i juz started learning how to use my flash unit.
so dun think it's a good idea to play with filters yet. haha..

and thanks dude, u're helpful. :- )

Haha.. no probs.. Chinese customary wedding? I'm not too sure what that is =X

Slightly offtopic, but here's a few links for you to improve your flash photography:

http://planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/
http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/
Strobist- Using Gels

Flash gels basically create a color cast to your light, so the white balance would be constant throughout. An example of wrong WB is when taking shots in a room with warm light (think restaurants and hotels), and when you shoot with your flash, the background is all orangey and warm, but your subjects have this irritating blue reflection of light on their faces. So basically you put on a CTO (color temperature orange) gel on your flash so that it kind of turns into one of the bulbs in the room you're shooting in, then you adjust the color balance to tungsten, and shoot. The flash color will be the same as the bulbs, so your subjects won't have different colored reflections.
Might be useful if you want to experiment on the actual day itself =)

hi all,

thanks in advance!
You will be using 18-135 most of the time.
50mm if you have time to change lens and play with bokeh.

Bring more batteries for your camera and flash especially, then last thing is your memory cards.

Enjoy shooting and editing after the weddings.
See if is worth the $$$ to get a good photographer for your wedding when compare to a budget photographer.

You will be using 18-135 most of the time.
50mm if you have time to change lens and play with bokeh.

Bring more batteries for your camera and flash especially, then last thing is your memory cards.

Enjoy shooting and editing after the weddings.
See if is worth the $$$ to get a good photographer for your wedding when compare to a budget photographer.

Lol..

Everyone standard of satistfaction is different, so really depends on both party to work together. :)

Don't spoil any couples big day, that is going to be a memory to stay with them for life.

Yeah! Like for example.. my uncle shot my aunt's wedding about 20 years ago.. he went through 3 rolls of film, only to realise that the lens cap was on throughout the event.

My aunt still doesn't have her wedding photos till this day xD

EDIT: Uncle was noob, and im not sure how he managed to even try to shoot with the lenscap on since the viewfinder will be black anyway.

Haha.. no probs.. Chinese customary wedding? I'm not too sure what that is =X

Slightly offtopic, but here's a few links for you to improve your flash photography:

http://planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/
http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/
Strobist- Using Gels

Flash gels basically create a color cast to your light, so the white balance would be constant throughout. An example of wrong WB is when taking shots in a room with warm light (think restaurants and hotels), and when you shoot with your flash, the background is all orangey and warm, but your subjects have this irritating blue reflection of light on their faces. So basically you put on a CTO (color temperature orange) gel on your flash so that it kind of turns into one of the bulbs in the room you're shooting in, then you adjust the color balance to tungsten, and shoot. The flash color will be the same as the bulbs, so your subjects won't have different colored reflections.
Might be useful if you want to experiment on the actual day itself =)

Question, would the effect similar if I shoot in RAW and correct the white balance later?

Yeah! Like for example.. my uncle shot my aunt's wedding about 20 years ago.. he went through 3 rolls of film, only to realise that the lens cap was on throughout the event.

My aunt still doesn't have her wedding photos till this day xD

EDIT: Uncle was noob, and im not sure how he managed to even try to shoot with the lenscap on since the viewfinder will be black anyway.

Unless your Uncle was using an SLR, the camera back then have a separate optical viewfinder that does not see thru the lens for shooting.

Question, would the effect similar if I shoot in RAW and correct the white balance later?

No. When the flash hits your subjects, your subjects will look cooler than the warm surroundings.

Ty about the optical viewfinder thing =)

hi all,

thanks in advance!

your setup is more then enough

my d40x+17-55 with sb800 lasted from morning 4am till evening 9pm. with 600++ shots. nv change batt.

so just go shoot and have fun.

your setup is more then enough

my d40x+17-55 with sb800 lasted from morning 4am till evening 9pm. with 600++ shots. nv change batt.

so just go shoot and have fun.

Wow... 600++ shots, are they mostly with flash? Coz my FL36 ( external flash) that uses 2 AAs (2800mAh rechargeable) only got about flashed 500+ shots ( total 4 AAs used) which are mostly bounced. In the end I have to use normal AAs at the end of the wedding.... :(

hi all,

thanks for all the feedbacks and suggestions. :)

Headshotzx: btw, if i'm only shooting for the day, do i still need to apply the gel? coz i dun think i'll be shooting under warm ambient. would it be adequate with just the flash unit and an omni-bounce?

Your equipment as it is is sufficient for a wedding.

Jus don't get in the way of the main photographer and also the videographer if there's any.

Note:

Stay close to the main photographer and learn from him. Since you are the "unofficial" photographer, relax and really observe what does the main photographer do in the wedding. (Provided the main photographer that you mentioned is a seasoned pro.)

Remember, back-up batteries & memory cards.

Also, check your camera settings. Always use the highest resolution available. ie: Fine - L or RAW.

(Heard of a newbie photographer who used a DSLR and produced more than 1000++ shots using only a 1 GB card.) Huh?

what i can tell you from my experience with 2 weddings as backup photographer is ... DONT get in the way of the main photographer .. and if you wanna learn more, stick to him :)

i actually improved thanks to them .

your 18-135mm is seriously sufficient enough. i initially used my 28-70 f2.8, but after a while, i changed to my 18-55kit lens as i needed wider angle.

at least you guys have TTL flash, i was using sb-24 manual all the way! bouncing flash, no time to worry if under or overexposed.

like everyone said, extra batteries and memory card!!!!! very important! i shot 444 pics ( unluck number huh ? ) on my friend's wedding , and 758 pics on my cousin's wedding. batts went flat fast and i had to use my prosumer as a backup...

btw, i shot using RAW+Basic

alright guys..

thanks for all the info and suggestions...

the only prob is i'm not familiar with the flash unit yet.
so i'm not sure if i could fully utilised my sb-600. haha..

Status
Not open for further replies.