Equipment storage & care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juvelyn

Jun 8, 2002
Visit site
Hi. I would like to know how necessary/ useful it is to purchase an electronic dry box to store my camera and lenses. Also, how often should I clean the lenses and camera body? Are there places that offer this as a service? - I am afraid I will damage my equipment! Thanks
btw, I do not own a "disposable cam". It's an SLR.

in Singapore's humid weather, some form of protection is a must. if you think a dry cabinet is too expensive, try a dry box instead and use silica gel to keep it dry.

as for cleaning the lens, you should only touch the filter and MABBE the surface lens with a lens cloth or lens tissue. anything more complicated should leave to the experts or the manufacturers.

how to ensure that when using the dry box n silica gel, the humidity is between 45-55%??

what are the possible problems if the humidity goes below 45%? only know if go above 55%, mould might grow

Originally posted by currahee
how to ensure that when using the dry box n silica gel, the humidity is between 45-55%??

what are the possible problems if the humidity goes below 45%? only know if go above 55%, mould might grow
It is very difficult to maintain humidity level between 45% and 55% as recommended (although some dry cabinet manufacturers would recommend btwn 40% and 50%). Moreover, the "cheapo" hygrometer (humidity meter) that comes with the dry cabinet doesn't really give u an accurate reading. Usually there is a +/- 5% to 10% deviation. Personally, I have 2 hygrometers in my dry cabinet - a digital and the original analogue version. Btwn them, there is a 7% difference. Dunno which to trust...haha.... Storing equipment under 30% is said to cause the oil on those mechanical parts to dry up.

thanx for the reply.
anyway to find out which meter reading is more accurate?

thanx for the reply.

Buy/borrow 2 digital hygrometers. Whichever 2 (including the built-in one) are giving the closest reading is accurate.

Regards
CK

I also have 1 analog and 1 digital in my dry cabinet; I tend to trust the digital one thus I used it to calibrate my analog one. Still, the digital one still sits in my dry cabinet

thanx for the reply.
An industrial standard hygrometer, with an accuracy of +/- 1%, is the most accurate but it costs a few hundred bucks. A normal digital one, with an accuracy of +/- 5%, costs only abt $40. The choice is yours...buying a hygrometer that costs more than your dry cabinet or the cheaper one?

Originally posted by AdamGoi
I also have 1 analog and 1 digital in my dry cabinet; I tend to trust the digital one thus I used it to calibrate my analog one. Still, the digital one still sits in my dry cabinet
We share the same style....my digital one also sits in the cabinet.

I've never had a problem with dry boxes and silica gel. Just put a reasonable amount of silica gel and you'll be fine. (i would say 1/2-3/4 a bottle for the largest size box).

Originally posted by ckiang

Buy/borrow 2 digital hygrometers. Whichever 2 (including the built-in one) are giving the closest reading is accurate.

Regards
CK
I had tested 3 hygrometers - 2 analogue and 1 digital - by placing them in the same dry cabinet. Guess what? All 3 gave different readings. The lowest and highest readings came from both the analogue meters while the digital one showed the average of the two. The difference between the lowest and the highest readings was 15%. That gave me a headache. Eventually, I did a "Moist Salt" test on one of them. The result seemed to show that the digital meter is the most accurate among the 3.

"Moist Salt" Test
Firstly, put a teaspoonful of salt in a mini container. Next, moist the salt by putting a few drops of water in it; make sure u don't fill the container with water and dissolve the salt. Finally, place the container of salt and your hygrometer in a transparent ziploc bag and seal it. Leave them aside for a few hours. The eventual reading should show a Relative Humidity (RH) of 75%. Based on that, you can determine the accuracy of your meter.

Originally posted by Barrios
I had tested 3 hygrometers - 2 analogue and 1 digital - by placing them in the same dry cabinet. Guess what? All 3 gave different readings. The lowest and highest readings came from both the analogue meters while the digital one showed the average of the two. The difference between the lowest and the highest readings was 15%. That gave me a headache. Eventually, I did a "Moist Salt" test on one of them. The result seemed to show that the digital meter is the most accurate among the 3.

"Moist Salt" Test
Firstly, put a teaspoonful of salt in a mini container. Next, moist the salt by putting a few drops of water in it; make sure u don't fill the container with water and dissolve the salt. Finally, place the container of salt and your hygrometer in a transparent ziploc bag and seal it. Leave them aside for a few hours. The eventual reading should show a Relative Humidity (RH) of 75%. Based on that, you can determine the accuracy of your meter.

That tips sounds familiar. Did you post it at Asiaphoto or Offstone before?

Regards
CK

1: it is good to invest a good electronic dry-box to protect your expensive equipment. forget about small-box where you got to put the silicon gels inside.

2: don't think that placing your equipment in the electronic dry-box and your equipment will be save. You need to "use" them occasionally. Anything with motor "inside" (lens or body) will spolit or jam if you don't use them for a prolong time.

Originally posted by ckiang

That tips sounds familiar. Did you post it at Asiaphoto or Offstone before?

Regards
CK
I actually got the information from the net but I can't recall which website though. Anyway, I am in the midst of testing out my digital hygrometer for the past 3 hrs now. It maintains at 74%, which is actually a very good sign, indicating that my meter is only 1% off (under) the mark.

can use the hippo drying agent? (the one that is advertised on TV) heard from a shop that this is a cheaper alternative

unless you have a <lot> of camera equipment, an electronic dry-box just seems to be a waste of space. Also, its ugly. Whereas plastic-boxes you can hide away in some cool, dark cupboard.

So those people with electronic dry-box, care to list what you put inside them? :) I find 2 plastic boxes enough to store all my camera equipment and all my slides.

Originally posted by ninelives
1: it is good to invest a good electronic dry-box to protect your expensive equipment. forget about small-box where you got to put the silicon gels inside.

2: don't think that placing your equipment in the electronic dry-box and your equipment will be save. You need to "use" them occasionally. Anything with motor "inside" (lens or body) will spolit or jam if you don't use them for a prolong time.

the salt test is a great tip...now juz have to try to borrow one 1st ;)

Let's not limit what we can store in the dry cabinet. If one can spend hundreds or even thousands on equipments, surely spending another $1++ for a dry cabinet won't be too much to store items that are worth many times more!

One can also store items like floppy disks, important VHS tapes (if you're still using them), slides, negatives, video cams and such...trust me, you'll always find something to crowd out the 'seemingly' large dry cabinet! ;)

Originally posted by erwinx
unless you have a <lot> of camera equipment, an electronic dry-box just seems to be a waste of space. Also, its ugly. Whereas plastic-boxes you can hide away in some cool, dark cupboard.

So those people with electronic dry-box, care to list what you put inside them? :) I find 2 plastic boxes enough to store all my camera equipment and all my slides.

Nikon FE
Nikon F100
Nikkor AF 20mm f/2.8D
Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8
Nikkor AF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D
Nikkor AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED
Tamron 35-70mm f/3.5
Nikon Coolpix 950
Nikon TC-E2 teleconvertor
Nikon WC-E24 wide convertor
Panasonic NV-GS3 DV camcorder
My dad's binoculars
My dad's Nikon L35AD compact camera
Ancient Sharp Viewcam Hi8 camcorder

Don't think it'll fit 2 plastic boxes. They are now in 2 electronic dry boxes. Long ago, I used to put my camera + lens (back then I only had 1 camera 1 lens) into a tupperware with silica gel. But refreshing them is always a pain.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.