Equipment - shoes

CamInit

Nov 3, 2009
Not your regular equipment talk but I had one of the soles from my pair of shoes dangling off after walking along the KTM tracks barely a hundred meters. Had to give up and drag myself back. :(

So, what kind of shoes are you wearing during your photographic trips? Any recommendation for something durable and comfortable I can get locally for trekking? I did a search and nothing useful came up. Was thinking of something that's also useful for trekking in places like Nepal next year. Can't imagine used to going bare footed in the middle of nowhere.

Trashed one of my older Adidas on KTM.

I've worn and recommend Salomon (expensive!) and Hi-Tec (cheaper and good too).
Feel like getting a pair of Columbia's to try out.

Last edited:
If you're going trekking, it might be a good idea to bring an extra pair of shoes just in case...

For my travels, i use ecco xpedition II yak skin shoe. Keep feet warm, waterproof, and tough. Cost is high, but worth it.

Bro you might want to have a look at this thread:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/thre...ur-travel-gear-local-and-abroad-info-and-tips

IMO, Columbia shoes are not very durable, nor are they light, but you can get the Ridgeline series from Queensway Shopping Centre for < $130.

I use my Scarpa ZG 65 - not available locally. Light, durable, Goretex GTX. Or my Magnum custom army shoes - high cut, lightweight but not waterproof. Comes with a side zipper.

Thanks! Seems like quite some different experiences... keep em' comin... planning to get a new pair before next Saturday shoot.
:)

Bro, you can't go wrong with these:
funny-shoes.jpg

Kidding aside, I go for Onitsuka Tiger. Very comfy and durable. Stylish as well.

what about salomon? or whatever that brand is? was thinking of getting a pair for biking ROFL

Thanks! Seems like quite some different experiences... keep em' comin... planning to get a new pair before next Saturday shoot.
:)
It will be hard to rely on others. Each person has their own varied preferences, and it's the principles of type of shoes for what kind of conditions that is important. www.rei.com and the link I provided can give you such tips.

Cheers.

IMO, Columbia shoes are not very durable, nor are they light, but you can get the Ridgeline series from Queensway Shopping Centre for < $130.

hmm my columbia still ok leh after 1 year place. but mine is not the high cut version. its very light also (lighter then nike i find).

wore it during my Mt Kinabalu trip (bought specially for this trip actually) last year may and after that been wearing to office (fridays) and weekends (when i am not wearing tevas sandals). The soles still look as good as new (probably 8-9/10).

Bro, you can't go wrong with these:
funny-shoes.jpg

Kidding aside, I go for Onitsuka Tiger. Very comfy and durable. Stylish as well.

Where to buy this one? Does it come with a bigger size and harry look? :)

I thought SAF provides a free black colored pair of 'hiking' boots?? :D

hmm my columbia still ok leh after 1 year place. but mine is not the high cut version. its very light also (lighter then nike i find).

wore it during my Mt Kinabalu trip (bought specially for this trip actually) last year may and after that been wearing to office (fridays) and weekends (when i am not wearing tevas sandals). The soles still look as good as new (probably 8-9/10).
Well, that's not rough, most shoes will last for a year or more doing this.
If you take it into the rough, then, they may not.

As I posted in my other thread.
The type of shoes will depend on terrain, weight carried, level of waterproofness, breathability needed.
Low cut shoes can be enough eg Tech Amphibians by Salomon are one of the best river shoes, but if you are into serious hiking and need to carry loads, then the Hi Tecs, Columbias and Nikes etc will not give you the support need.

It's not the brand, its more important to get the right model for the right kind of conditions. That's why I have 10 pairs of hiking shoes, for different conditions, terrain etc.

I have shot and walked the KTM tracks many times in the past before it was closed .......... hiking shoes, ironically, FOR ME, are bad for walking train tracks because you're not walking on a gravel path but on wood blocks spaced less than a meter apart for miles and miles and miles ......... a pair of O Tiger, Vans or Converse or Bata canvas shoes with rubber soles have always allowed me to get my feet/toes a good 'hook'/grip and move around more quickly .... and strangely they 'trip' ALOT less vs hiking shoes

but thats just me

ed

Last edited:
The problem with railway hike or walk is tat the rocks are loose and if your stride are wide enough u can jump fm the planks to planks. but your get tired after awhile. so u would need a good non hiking shoes else u'll be tripping most of the time. but do be careful since u will tend to be unstable at most time cuz of the moving rocks so a high cut would do good.

My take on the shoes that i've used. I've used Columbia most of the times. Their soles dont last very long, i put under 1 year. I basically wear it on all my trips and even everyday to work. Timberland are ok i guess but they are the more expensive ones unless u can get them on sale. Not much options for Timberland if u'r looking for mid high cut which i love to wear. Hi Tec are usually heavy so i've given them a miss after trying out for a year or two. Havent got a chance to try on a Salomon though. Anyone tried Merell or something else?

combat boots for bashing !

For Nepal for sure you would want something that is dust-resistant, and relatively water-resistant as well, so Gore-tex works well. As petetherock mentioned different conditions call for different shoes, and also depends what kind of trekker you are. Most of us are not serious trekkers or trail runners so something relatively light and sturdy (but as not flexible as trail racers that offer a great a "feel" of the ground) should do the trick. If you are a serious trekker you probably already know what kind of shoes you need, photography is secondary.

Places with precipitous undulations or slippery icy surfaces call for good ankle support so mid to high-cut footwear might be more suitable. Cold snowy regions may require a good fur lining to keep your feet alive.

My Salomons did well in Nepal, Yosemite, and the Scottish highlands, and were credible in an arguably tough Scandinavian winter. :p