equipment for basic home photo shoots

fitlies

Feb 6, 2008
hi clubsnappers, i've been following this forum for quite some time, reading various threads and posts to gain my knowledge in the world of photography. Now I have a situation and I hope there are people out there who have the know-hows to help me out here.

A friend of mine had decided to start his own little photo shoot studio on bridals and wedding gowns. So he was asking what kinda equipments are deemed as necessary to kick start things like this.

Currently he has bodies of 500D and 550D, 18-55 kit lens, 50mm 1.8, tamron 17-50 2.8 and a flash gun.

I'm trying to get recommendations on a say beginner start-up kit for photo shoots. Maybe in terms of lighting to details such as a grey card for getting the right white balance?

hope there can be some inputs about this here. thanks people!

Do a search for "home studio". Discussed many times already.

Is his home even big enough?

just a a normal room of a hdb set aside for simple photo shoots. on other days, can be reverted back for normal usage.

Do a search for "home studio". Discussed many times already.

thank you. it didn't occur to me to search that particular term.

Firstly, model has to have some distance from the backdrop for softer shadows, 1-2m is good.
Secondly, strobes must also have some distance from the model.
Thirdly, what lens will he be shooting with? 50mm f1.8? thats 80mm on a crop body.

Backdrop - 1m
Model from backdrop - 2m
Strobes from model - 1m
PG from model - 3m (Shoulder length shots)

Total - around 7m of space needed just for shoulder length shots.

The only way is to convert the entire living room into a studio, unless you have a room that is as spacious.

Mm room space aside, I think he need at least a 'portrait lens', off shoe lighting, and bigger lights.

What is "portrait lens"?

18-55 and 50f1.8 can do the job, you can get those 3lights bundle ard $688 at mass-order section, use ya white wall/curtain or get those color paper backdrop for $85.

This is my home studio, 3.2m x3.5m space nia

DSC03076.jpg

DSC03074.jpg

Last edited:
What is "portrait lens"?

18-55 and 50f1.8 can do the job, you can get those 3lights bundle ard $688 at mass-order section, use ya white wall/curtain or get those color paper backdrop for $85.

DSC03076.jpg

DSC03074.jpg

awesome :thumbsup: somewhat i'm looking for this. can my friend model yours for a start? would you be kind enough to break down the things tt you use so that i can at least give my friend the options for him to consider?

What is "portrait lens"?

In retrospect, you're right. For a home studio set up, the lenses that you mentioned should suffice :embrass:

awesome :thumbsup: somewhat i'm looking for this. can my friend model yours for a start? would you be kind enough to break down the things tt you use so that i can at least give my friend the options for him to consider?

Will PM you :)