Equipment external flash or monopod ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor1

Sep 29, 2003
Singapore
kr.sg
Dear all,
I am planning my budget currently, and is deciding which of the following equipments should i get FIRST? An external Flash (FL-36) or a monopod.

I am usually into streets/events, Portraits, and macro.

Problems i faced. Inbuild flash too harsh on my photos. Reason for the monopod. recomended if i want to get sharper macro shots.

Based on your experieces, which would you recomend me to get first? Which would aid me in my photoshoots more?

IMHO, flash.

You can't shoot without enough light but you can learn to stabilise your shots more.

Also, with monopod, stablising shots is not so easy, because you can also experience side to side movement. My personal experience is the monopod is actually quite hard to work right.

Have you also heard of the string monopod?

http://www.xs4all.nl/~wiskerke/artikelen/string.html is just one website. You can find more info by searching Google.

Between the flash, monopod and tripod, I find myself reaching for the flash more frequently than the other two. Then again, I'm lazy and the flash is easier to carry ;)

Good luck on your decision.

joanne

External flash. I've used my flashgun about a jillion times already. (okay, maybe that's a slight exaggeration)

My monopod, I've maybe used it less than 5 times in 5 years. Maybe 10 times, if you consider the times I used it as a stick to scare away stray dogs on my solo trips to deserted places.

I would go for the flash as well..
why use a monopod for macro photography? use a tripod if you can...
if you have a cable that can put ur flash off camera u can use it for macro even!

If you are doing potraits and street/events, then getting an external flash 1st will be a better choice. Mobility is desired especially when doing events.
As for macro, I think a tripod would be more useful, even though sometimes it is better to handhold your camera for certain macro shots(that means a flash will come in useful).
So my suggestion is to get an external flash 1st.

my advise is bring all and use wat is available to ur advantage.

example:
you are not going to use tripod if you shooting moving insect or stuffs.
or
using flash when u want background to nicely expose.

get the flash first, it is the most essential yet most un-used in daily shoot (tripod is the worst).
i never have a need for monopod as it can be substituted by tripod.

the string support thingy does look cool!

Flash dude, flash.

What is photography without light or enough light?

Ok, Thx alot guys.
I have decided.. A flash is next! :) Anybody giving out FL-36 / FL-50 ?? lolx

Status
Not open for further replies.