Epson Perfection 2450 Photo scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hackie

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
Can u guys help me to check out this review and state wat u think of this scanner? personally i think its quality is good although not as sharp as a dedicated scanner (but of cos... duh..)...

http://www.virtualtraveller.org/epson2450.htm

thanks in advance.. :)

Originally posted by Kevin
How much is this scanner in singapore?

i'm not sure too.. shld be ard $750. the last time i check with Epson showroom, its not in yet.. :(

This does look like a very promising flatbed scanner with film scanning capabilities. Quite a number of good reviews. I'd be interested to find out how it performs in the real world.

The HP 5470c with transparency adaptor doesn't do film scans very well, and is has quite a bit of noise. Even the very old HP PhotoSmart film/print scanner does better.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by hackie

i'm not sure too.. shld be ard $750. the last time i check with Epson showroom, its not in yet.. :(
Wah, very ex for me leh. I just want to scan old photos only, do I need such an ex one?

What do you think CK?

Originally posted by ckiang
This does look like a very promising flatbed scanner with film scanning capabilities. Quite a number of good reviews. I'd be interested to find out how it performs in the real world.

The HP 5470c with transparency adaptor doesn't do film scans very well, and is has quite a bit of noise. Even the very old HP PhotoSmart film/print scanner does better.

Regards
CK

initially i had wanted to get the Epson 1650 photo ($450). but after seeing the slide scan of the cheaper HP 4470($270), the quality doesn't really differ much.. but when i saw this 2450, i was like :eek: . a flatbed with this kinda slide scanning quality shld be considered good huh? juz hope the price is not too high..:(

Wah, very ex for me leh. I just want to scan old photos only, do I need such an ex one?

What do you think CK?

since u r freelancer with 35mm SLR(ur title under ur nick.. hehe), u can always make use of a slide scanner rite? :D

but if u onli wanna scan print, i think most of the cheaper flatbed will do fine.. frm wat i read, 300dpi is very much sufficient for scanning prints. ;)

What do you think CK?

If you are serious, yes. The cheap scanners does a bad job at everything, mid range flatbeds with transparency adaptors does print scans well, but scans films badly. The higher end ones like this supposedly does both pretty well, but the film scan is still not on par with dedicated film scanners of similar resolution. :(

Regards
CK

Originally posted by hackie

initially i had wanted to get the Epson 1650 photo ($450). but after seeing the slide scan of the cheaper HP 4470($270), the quality doesn't really differ much.. but when i saw this 2450, i was like :eek: . a flatbed with this kinda slide scanning quality shld be considered good huh? juz hope the price is not too high..:(

It does look pretty good, wonder when it will arrive at the showroom so that I can go check out how the quality's like. :) I hope it's not like the slide scan of the HP 5470c I have in office. That one does scans from prints very well, but when it comes to film..... err..... ;p

Regards
CK

i'll be going simlim later.. will try to check out the price and post it here...... keep ur fingers crossed.. ;p

Thanks guys for the advise. As a newbie, hope you all won't mind more questions. When you say scan film, do you refer to the negative of the film shots?

Thanks guys for the advise. As a newbie, hope you all won't mind more questions. When you say scan film, do you refer to the negative of the film shots?

Film can be either positive (slides/transparencies) or negative (your normal film). So it depends on what film you are talking about. And yes, film scanning means scanning the film itself, regardless of whether it's positive or negative. :)

This usually gives a better result than scanning the print.

Regards
CK

I C... Learn something new "positive"! Hmmms, film scanner sound very tempting! So you guys don't process every print but preview in your colourful slides 1st lah?

I C... Learn something new "positive"! Hmmms, film scanner sound very tempting! So you guys don't process every print but preview in your colourful slides 1st lah?

My new process is this:
1. For negatives, I ask the lab to scan into a CD, but don't print. I can print the selected ones myself, or send back to the lab. $13.50 per roll. Resolution is ~1800 x ~1200.

2. For slides, same. I ask the lab to scan to CD in their 'ultra high res' (3072x2048). Expensive though. $13.90 for scan, $6 for processing the slide. Unfortunately, quality is not that good.

Slide printing by any lab is very expensive, so we don't print the entire roll. (Anyway, they look nicer on the lightbox or a projector)

That's why I am thinking of getting a film scanner.

Regards
CK

And for those interested, I saw the scanner being sold by the shop called "Pic N Pixels" on the 5th floor of Funan. Roughly opposite Epson, and near PK. Costs S$775. They don't do demos, asking me to go to Epson (which is closed when I was there) instead.

Regards
CK

Wow, $775 is a bit steep for me leh!

It's a good buy, actually. This scanner is 2400dpi, scans 35mm, medium format, and 4x5" large format film as well as normal photos and documents, and has both USB 2.0 and FireWire interfaces. :) From reviews, film scans is not as sharp as a dedicated film scanner, but more than good enough for A4 prints. And dedicated scanners are quite a bit more.

The cheaper flatbed scanners with transparency adaptors really can't make it. I know the HP 5470c can't - I tried. So I hope to see how this scanner performs for myself. :)

Regards
CK

And for those interested, I saw the scanner being sold by the shop called "Pic N Pixels" on the 5th floor of Funan. Roughly opposite Epson, and near PK. Costs S$775. They don't do demos, asking me to go to Epson (which is closed when I was there) instead.

Regards
CK

thanks for the info!! i couldn't the damn scanner anywhere in Sim Lim!

i think $775 is quite a good price. shall visit Epson for a demo soon.. ;)

When you say, quality is not that good, you refering to the ultra high slide scan or the negatives or both?
You're doing it ColourLab Photo? thanks

..NuTs..

My new process is this:
1. For negatives, I ask the lab to scan into a CD, but don't print. I can print the selected ones myself, or send back to the lab. $13.50 per roll. Resolution is ~1800 x ~1200.

2. For slides, same. I ask the lab to scan to CD in their 'ultra high res' (3072x2048). Expensive though. $13.90 for scan, $6 for processing the slide. Unfortunately, quality is not that good.

Slide printing by any lab is very expensive, so we don't print the entire roll. (Anyway, they look nicer on the lightbox or a projector)

That's why I am thinking of getting a film scanner.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.