Epson 2100 or Canon i9950

Epson 2100 or Canon i9950?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canon is promising 100 years archival with its Photo Paper Pro paper, which gives the double advantage of wide gamut of dye inks and the longivity of prints. ;)

I have used Photo Paper Pro exclusively in all its sizes and all conditions (stored in a/c office, out of sunlight under glass/plastic, not near heat source, etc). I found that it does fade at best after 2-3 years (on my old s800 Canon), even with the latest i990, 2-3 months slight fading when in normal environment (exposed to air, no direct sunlight, a/c).

Unless they changed the ink recipe with the latest batch for the i9950........I don't see any 100 year quality - whatever paper is used.

Only advantage I see over Epson is 8 colour from the i9950 vs 7 colour from the Epson. Or perhaps that the print heads are on the ink cartridges in the Canon and fixed in the printer in the case of the Epson (maintenance related).

Agree with Altezza on Canon's prints fading out quicker than Epson.....
I have similar experiences with the Pro Paper and Canon printers....

Come to think of it :think:
Heard from my friend say that Canon printers spoilt easily. Like spoilt after one year.
Is that so? Does anyone of you got any similar experience?

Once Epson, always Epson.

Wah... very easy to see why. The ink from epson opaque opaque one. The ink from canon like coloured water. :blah:

canon...juz got one yesterdae.....i tink the photo finish for epson no good...got dots or sumthing like tt.... summore slower....

All in all, I still find Epson 2100 got better printout than Canon S9100/S9950, but Canon's cheaper. :blah: :blah:

Morever, Canon's got fading problem with some of its own paper. :angry: :angry: :angry:

And before any flames coming, I owned and used S9100.

I'm dreaming to own an Epson Stylus Pro 4000, but its price is not feasible for a hobbyist unless I start offering A2-size printing service.

A4 and A2 are the closest to 3:2 aspect ratio, similar to 35mm format while A3 is somewhat 4:3 ratio, similar to some digicams. However, since i only shoot with my SLR and DSLR most of the time, I would very much want to print in either A4 or A2 size. Got tired of seeing my photos in A4 already, that's why now dreaming of A2 printouts.

Currently printing my own photos using Canon's MPC200 which uses combined colour cartridge BCI-24C. Smudges easily. The next printer I'll buy would be an Epson using either DuraBrite or UltraChrome inks (for its waterproof capability).

Given the choices above, I'll go for Epson 2100 now, until Canon solve their famous fading problem and comes up with waterproof ink.

Yaoxing, the A-series (A0, A1, A2, A3, A4, etc) all have the exact same length/width ratio: 1:1.414 (sqrt 2). They were defined that way.

ST1100 said:
Yaoxing, the A-series (A0, A1, A2, A3, A4, etc) all have the exact same length/width ratio: 1:1.414 (sqrt 2). They were defined that way.

Arhh.... then I got my maths wrong. Sorry, my bad. Looks like A3 is an attractive choice for me then. I used to have that misconception about the aspect ratio, that's why held up my purchase. Thanks for enlighting me! :)

Hi Yaoxing,

The PR-101 paper has been upgraded, which explains for the 100 years archivibility claim. The Canon guys are also saying that the prints are waterproof.

Go get your own image printed from the Epson 2100 and the Canon i9950 and compare the results. Prepare to be shocked... at least that's what happened to me at the PC Show last week. :bigeyes:

Neo said:
Go get your own image printed from the Epson 2100 and the Canon i9950 and compare the results. Prepare to be shocked... at least that's what happened to me at the PC Show last week. :bigeyes:

Could you comment a little more? 'Prepare to be shocked' is not very helpful for most of us... thanx.

Status
Not open for further replies.