EPL2 Likes & dislikes by wonglp

wonglp

Staff member
Jul 20, 2007
Bukit Batok
Just gotten the EPL2 a day CNY eve, had a few things to share on this. Nothing technical just some findings which may be interesting for those thinking of buying a Pen or upgrading theirs. More of likes & dislikes IMHO. I will add on if the interest level is there. Also, feel free to add in your views as well, as YMMV...

1st: The kit lens AF test...one of the key advantages is the improved AF speed, so most will ask, how much faster? Did a video test on the old vs new 14-42 here (sorry, realize din do a good job on the 14-42 video, can tell i suck at it actually:bsmilie:)

[vid]dwNaRLOqnoo[/vid]

And one with the 40-150 m43 vs zd 40-150+mmf2. This is improved video (i hope) as i use tripod...
[vid]ZqmiSI8-0U0[/vid]

Personally, the new 14-42 is just slightly faster, but sometimes that split sec may lose the moment. But 40-150 m43 is significantly faster...

Not to mention the new kits are smaller and quieter...

Verdict: I really like the improvements. But then, i have the MMF1+40-150 already and I'm no speed demon, so I will still be keeping the ZD version as it's cheaper. In terms of pic quality, i have yet to do a in-depth test. Will do so when time allows. And personally not a 14-42 plastic kit lens lover, so I am still thinking whether to keep it.

Hope this helps.

Follow up coming soon...Huat Arh!!!

the new mzd 40-150 is very fast! thanks for putting this up.

eh but your first video it says its private?

Dramatic filter. It's more of like than dislike. Can be hard to use actually. Basically a "HDR wannabe" art filter, increases the dynamic range, boost the contrast, brings out details on the shadows.

Certainly, one could take RAW+JPEG and pp the effect if unsure.
Pretty ok for landscapes, difficult for portraits, sometimes kills ur picture with the "surreality".

Some pictures to share. some that worked for me..
#1 usually such a shot would have shadows on the ceiling, this art filter shows good shadow details
P2024111.jpg

#2 works well generally for landscapes imo
P2024118.jpg

#3 contrast is increased as seen here on the cat, very surreal feel.
P2034213.jpg

Some that din work, mainly portraits
#4 difficult to control how it turns out...
P2054590.jpg

#5 No no for portraits...u get uneven black patches. snapshot of my drooling son..
P2024105.jpg

For those who had tried this art filter EPL2/E5, let me know how u feel about this filter. Thanks for viewing so far.

Having used the dramatic tone art filter, its very unpredictable IMO, but when it works, it really works, but seldom from the limited time and limited shots I took hahhaa

spidey89 said:
Having used the dramatic tone art filter, its very unpredictable IMO, but when it works, it really works, but seldom from the limited time and limited shots I took hahhaa

Haha, ya, unpredictable. U can see from liveview black patches moving ard like some scary movie...

Some of you may have read about the "E-PL2 red spot" problem on bright source small aperture. This is a dislike for me...

Some findings based on some experimental shots, in no way conclusive:
1. Can happen at as small as F8
2. If bright source (sun/street lights) is near/surrounded by shadows/darkness
3. Don't seem to be lens issue! Tried different lens (14-42, 40-150, pany 20) all have this problem
4. Seems unique to E-PL2. I tried on E-PL1 no issue with same lens 40-150

No conclusion yet from Oly SG via phonecall today, will make a trip down asap, i won't speculate on the cause as I'm no expert, so I won;t conclude till there's some answer, and hopefully there will be.

Some shots:
E-PL2 with pany 20 @ F8, just a poor snapshot to illustrate the RSP (red spot problem)
F8_pany_red_spot_apparent.jpg

E-PL2 with 40-150 @ 41mm F5.6, no problem, although there;s some pinkish cast developing
P2074765.jpg

E-PL2 with 40-150 @ 41mm F18, RSP
P2074766.jpg

E-PL1 with 40-150 @40mm F22, no problem
F22_EPL1_40-150_40mm.jpg

Some people may not shoot at the sun/bright source directly. For me, although i do it only sometimes, it will bother me as I dunno yet a solution for it. Some small aperture situation i can think of is sunlight streaking through clouds/leaves/trees, starburst light effects, long exposure shot sunsets...

Any thoughts?

put the red spots aside ...... how are you going to deal with the OBHP (Over Blown Highlights Problem) ?

traditionally we used ND or Grad ND filters for many years already in such situations to address this over exposure issue

put the red spots aside ...... how are you going to deal with the OBHP (Over Blown Highlights Problem) ?

traditionally we used ND or Grad ND filters for many years already in such situations to address this over exposure issue

Hi ed9119,not an expert. i suppose a GND would help better for such situation, and perhaps with highlight recovery pp afterwards? blending diff exposure shots would help too? not sure ND would help in this situation. enlighten me pls?:)

Hi ed9119,not an expert. i suppose a GND would help better for such situation, and perhaps with highlight recovery pp afterwards? blending diff exposure shots would help too? not sure ND would help in this situation. enlighten me pls?:)

But in the example, there are 2 buildings,with both buildings between them, there is the sky, neither ND nor GND can help, only way is probably dodge and burn, or blend exposure, otherwise, see which is more important and expose for it,also,there are people who either do not know or do not like to do PP, I would like to do as little as possible unless really needed personally, probably one test can be done is to shoot at a slight angle rather than facing the sun head on, it might work, but I do not know for sure, maybe wonglp can try? Shoot one direct and shoot one slightly angled by standing probably a step to the left or right

Last edited:
But in the example, there are 2 buildings,with both buildings between them, there is the sky, neither ND nor GND can help, only way is probably dodge and burn, or blend exposure, otherwise, see which is more important and expose for it,also,there are people who either do not know or do not like to do PP, I would like to do as little as possible unless really needed personally, probably one test can be done is to shoot at a slight angle rather than facing the sun head on, it might work, but I do not know for sure, maybe wonglp can try? Shoot one direct and shoot one slightly angled by standing probably a step to the left or right

yeah i think in such situation blending 3 or more exposure is the only way based on bro Wonglp example shot with tw building side by side. One way also is to shot raw then create 3 or more exposure level via PP then blend them together

Looking at the AF performance I think the new lenses are far better than the old ones if you notice the old lenses the FF and BF (Front/Back Focusing) is very prominent whilst the newer lenses was smooth

Thanks bro wonglp for the AF test... I think this is one area that users been asking Oly to look at w/c I think they've manages to address it in the newer lens models. :thumbsup:

Frankly, i am too lazy bum to do reshoot or PP, not an expert either;p also it's just a snapshot to show the "RDP".

Apart from red dot issue, will post more "likes" tonight ;)

Frankly, i am too lazy bum to do reshoot or PP, not an expert either;p also it's just a snapshot to show the "RDP".

Apart from red dot issue, will post more "likes" tonight ;)

Hahahah, my point is that, like what I said, some people don't know, or some don't like, some purist don't do at all, some like you and I are just lazy :bsmilie:

Hahahah, my point is that, like what I said, some people don't know, or some don't like, some purist don't do at all, some like you and I are just lazy :bsmilie:
:bsmilie:

yeah i think in such situation blending 3 or more exposure is the only way based on bro Wonglp example shot with tw building side by side. One way also is to shot raw then create 3 or more exposure level via PP then blend them together

Looking at the AF performance I think the new lenses are far better than the old ones if you notice the old lenses the FF and BF (Front/Back Focusing) is very prominent whilst the newer lenses was smooth

Thanks bro wonglp for the AF test... I think this is one area that users been asking Oly to look at w/c I think they've manages to address it in the newer lens models. :thumbsup:

Thanks for viewing bro Albert, so would u be considering or still on the fence? Next month or so the pro m43 model is slated to be announced...maybe can wait for that?

:bsmilie:

Thanks for viewing bro Albert, so would u be considering or still on the fence? Next month or so the pro m43 model is slated to be announced...maybe can wait for that?

I am considering bro ;-) to get EP1/2 or EPL2 ;p

But I think the AF really is a huge improvement just looking at the old and new lenses:thumbsup:

I am considering bro ;-) to get EP1/2 or EPL2 ;p

But I think the AF really is a huge improvement just looking at the old and new lenses:thumbsup:

You shld not go for EP1, coz no port for EVF, which is great for MF lenses;)

u r right about the front back focusing issue, it doesn't occur on the new lens. The size and weight is also reduced on the 14-42 as well. The new lens focus fast too on the EP2 and EPL1, just tested the old and new on both the bodies. :thumbsup:

the grip and ergo of EPL1/2 is better than EP2, so if u mount slightly bigger MF lens, the grip might come in use. was using ZD70-300 other day at the zoo with EP2, my finger felt numbed. Something to think abt:think:

You shld not go for EP1, coz no port for EVF, which is great for MF lenses

u r right about the front back focusing issue, it doesn't occur on the new lens. The size and weight is also reduced on the 14-42 as well. The new lens focus fast too on the EP2 and EPL1, just tested the old and new on both the bodies. :thumbsup:

the grip and ergo of EPL1/2 is better than EP2, so if u mount slightly bigger MF lens, the grip might come in use. was using ZD70-300 other day at the zoo with EP2, my finger felt numbed. Something to think abt:think:

So you saying I chose wrong la? :angry: :bsmilie: Depends actually, But I highly suggest the E-PL2 when the red dot "problem" is fixed if you shoot into the sun often, if you're like me, just get the E-PL2 despite its problems :D the E-PL2 has the better grip as far as I'm concern hahaha

So you saying I chose wrong la? :angry: :bsmilie: Depends actually, But I highly suggest the E-PL2 when the red dot "problem" is fixed if you shoot into the sun often, if you're like me, just get the E-PL2 despite its problems :D the E-PL2 has the better grip as far as I'm concern hahaha

Iirc, u dun use much manual lenses right? Albert manual lenses collection seems to have increased,haha.
If use only AF lenses, EP1 is still a great camera, that's my 1st Pen but after start using manual lenses, MF on EP1 lcd cannot make it!
Main reason for selling it as well. Still think my white Ep1 is the nicest camera I owned.
When i sell manual lens, always ask buyer to think twice if dun have EVF:sweat: haha, or i ask them upgrade to EVF if using Pen or change their GF to Pen with EVF :devil:
I'm not sure the red dot prob is fixable via firmware, since already have the EPL2, just live with it till Pro body comes along...imo, EPL2 is still a good upgrade even from EPL1, i'm actually pretty impressed with the kit lens AF performance. Tell this to the Pany users, they will laugh!!!

Iirc, u dun use much manual lenses right? Albert manual lenses collection seems to have increased,haha.
If use only AF lenses, EP1 is still a great camera, that's my 1st Pen but after start using manual lenses, MF on EP1 lcd cannot make it!
Main reason for selling it as well. Still think my white Ep1 is the nicest camera I owned.
When i sell manual lens, always ask buyer to think twice if dun have EVF:sweat: haha, or i ask them upgrade to EVF if using Pen or change their GF to Pen with EVF :devil:
I'm not sure the red dot prob is fixable via firmware, since already have the EPL2, just live with it till Pro body comes along...imo, EPL2 is still a good upgrade even from EPL1, i'm actually pretty impressed with the kit lens AF performance. Tell this to the Pany users, they will laugh!!!

I have a few, lets just say I'm a lazy bum ;) Then I got something to tell you, I'm gonna sound like an arse, I can MF with E-1, E-510's tiny viewfinder, and focus with my E-P1 manually :bsmilie: But as I've said, I'm a lazy bum, and everyone's taste differ, get what is most comfortable for you rather than me, after all, as the saying goes "One man's poison might be another's meat" or something like that hahhahah

spidey89 said:
I have a few, lets just say I'm a lazy bum ;) Then I got something to tell you, I'm gonna sound like an arse, I can MF with E-1, E-510's tiny viewfinder, and focus with my E-P1 manually :bsmilie: But as I've said, I'm a lazy bum, and everyone's taste differ, get what is most comfortable for you rather than me, after all, as the saying goes "One man's poison might be another's meat" or something like that hahhahah

I can mf too indoor;) ya, surely I agree, use what's good for u dun get poison by others !keke.