EOS600D kits

kliegl

Aug 19, 2011
Singapore
Hi.

I'm buying this model as my first dslr camera and Canon is offering these two kits and promotions: Kit I:EF18-55IS and Kit II:EF18-135IS, and selected lens on purchase-for-purchase offers. I'm considering the following options:
Option 1: Buy Kit II at S$1699
Option 2: Buy Kit I (S$1349) + EF S55-250 IS (S$459) = S$1808
Option 3: Buy Kit I (S$1349) + EF 75-300 III USM lens (S$249) = s$1598

Can you guys share your thoughts on the options above? Thanks!

BTW, I tried searching for similar thread and not found any OR maybe I didn't search hard enough. Forgive me if it's the latter.

Just for your information, the prices you posted seemed to be the MRP. Try searching for a few stores and obtain E-quotes from them, these are valid for 7 days and usually much cheaper than the price you have listed here :)

I personally owned a Kit I with a EF 55-250 which the 600D. I find that with these 2 lens, they allowed me to captures shots in various situations. One problem however is that you might have to find yourself switching lens often depending on what you are trying to shoot.

Option 1 will be more versatile, freeing you precious lens changing time, however with this option you will be limited by the range.

I can't comment much on option 3 since I do not own that lens, perhaps other bros out here can give some advice. :)

Hi, I'm not a canon user but looking at what's on offer it really depends on what subjects you shoot most of.Kit1 and 2 lenses have IS
(image stabalisation) mechanisms built into the lens where as 75-300 USM has only the ultra sonic motor for auto focus but no IS and the price is cheaper.Although canon kit lenses perform well but if you take mostly portraits,it would be better if you get a kit2 ( a walk about lens)and a dedicated prime(fixed focal length) portrait lens like 85,105,135mm with a wider aperture like F2.8 for low light or existing light situation and should be noticably sharper than a zoom lens although there is a overlap in focal lengths.Or Kit1 and 55-250mm IS.But if you can manage without IS then the longer 75-300 non IS zoom.Hope this helps.:)
PS Even with kit lens of F3.5 with high ISO setting and slow shutter speed with IS you should be able to take decent shots under low light situations.

Last edited:
Hi! Another option is to get the body only and buy a used 18-200mm. That should satisfy most of your photography needs :)

go for the Option 2: Buy Kit I (S$1349) + EF S55-250 IS (S$459) = S$1808

I believe that you can get the EF S55-250 IS @$290-$300+

First of all, we have a Price Guide here for a reason. People who recently got these kits have given feedback about the prices, so it's a good reference. Secondly, your Option 3 is not listed in the guides, it could be a special offering of one shop that you got there. But I would discourage you to take this, the 75-300 is not a good choice of lens.
As a beginner, without further ideas where your likings in terms of photography are, you should not go for any bundled offers. No point buying something just because it's an offer. If you don't use it it's wasted money. I'd recommend either the kit lens (18-55) or the 18-135 as a starting point. Resist all temptations to get gear just by numbers (200 is bigger than 135, sounds gooood), get equipment because you understand why you need it and where the benefits are. If you don't know, just don't buy.
Once you have sorted out your likings and style it becomes clearer to you which equipment would be helpful.

It depends on what you need.. dont just buy anyhow.. u might not use it in the end..
Unless you are cool with the money..then thats totally different case. If not i will recommend option 1. That lens is a multi purpose lens and should be enough for you for a long time until you know what you need. Later on.. or not. : )

Forget about option 2, as the 75-300 is not an IS lens, so you will have blurry images when shooting at the range of 150 - 300 unless you are using a tripod.

Option 1 has a good focal range for a walking lens without resorting to changing lenses, but with Option 2, you will need to consider the lost opportunity to capture a moment while changing lenses.

Sorry if it isn't helping you get anywhere closer to a decision.

Cheers, nonetheless!

Frankly... I would go for option 1. It provide you with alot of flexibility as this is the first DSLR you are owning, I would assume that you have not yet make up your mind as to what type of photography suits you better or you would like to go into... so just get the 18-135mm lens (which provide you with almost all the most used focal length). Then when you are more experience and know better of the type of photography, your shooting style etc, then go and read up and get more dedicated lens for your needs.

Depends on your needs. But if u r new n r looking for a walkabout lens, option 1 (kit2) is best. Shoot with that lens for a few months, then you'll start to understand what u really need.

I first bought a body + 18-55, 55-200, and a 50mm prime (nikon). After using a while, I realize 18-55 not enough reach (zoom) when shooting videos or running ard with family. That's when I bought the kit lens 18-105 from a fellow CSer. So for a first, I suggest u take up the 18-135. If u lose interest later on, this will still b a very useful lens.

Thanks a lot guys for your time and wisdom on the matter!
Option 1 is actually the one I am eyeing for. Your inputs certainly validate my choice.

Will shop around for the best deal. Hopefully with the upcoming COMEX, deals will be sweeter.

See you around!

Thanks a lot guys for your time and wisdom on the matter!
Option 1 is actually the one I am eyeing for. Your inputs certainly validate my choice.

Will shop around for the best deal. Hopefully with the upcoming COMEX, deals will be sweeter.

See you around!

One advice... never get a camera from the comex. They don't sell cheaper, only give you loads of cheapo freebies that you will in the end leave them at home. And note that if the offer came from Canon, you can get the same freebies no matter where you buy your canon.

rhino123 said:
One advice... never get a camera from the comex. They don't sell cheaper, only give you loads of cheapo freebies that you will in the end leave them at home. And note that if the offer came from Canon, you can get the same freebies no matter where you buy your canon.

Except for things like dry cabinet, which technically you are still paying for it due to the difference in street price and MSRP in comex

Yea..i will say..try not to buy at Comex or IT fair kind of events.. Unless you are cool with it. Its always better and more comfortable to buy at shops..(as for where..there is a thread on them already)
anyway..
Happy shopping : )

Buy from comex = Had to squeeze with the crowd like sardines (not to mention those with baby prams), the staff there may not know about their products, eventually end up buying at a higher price with useless freebies

I have made some rounds to check the shops listed in the Price Guide threads. They do indeed offer packages at a lower price and the shops' attendants are nice and willingly tell the unit's features and made some comparisons with other brands/models as well. As with the upcoming COMEX, I am just hoping that the event will make these shops to somewhat be 'pushed' to better their offers.

Thanks a lot!