Eos S300 or Nikon F75?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cs_sim

Apr 20, 2004
Hi all! I'm a newbie who's keen on taking up photography as a hobby. Huv been surveying around for slr for a start. Actually kind of like e Canon Eos S300 n Nikon F75, both comes with kit n thinking of getting 75-300mm lens as well. e prob is both seem pretty gd to me, can't really decide which to get. :think: Any recommendation which is better for a beginner like me?

eh....if u ask me....NIKON....i'm a purist....haha.... 75-300 mm for a start is alot of zoom u got there... does nikon have 75-300??? i tot its 70-300....

me and witness gd frd so we share the same feeling.. nikon is the best.. :) nOt that canon is no gd.. just that we like nikon ;)

Hmm... if you are interested in SLR, maybe you should look at this thread: http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=53016

It has nothing to do with the two cameras that you'd mentioned. But I think the some old birds may still have SLR lying around, which you may try your hands on. Maybe you could get a better idea of what camera to get, after the hands on? :dunno:

snapboy said:
me and witness gd frd so we share the same feeling.. nikon is the best.. :) nOt that canon is no gd.. just that we like nikon ;)

:kok: :kok: :kok:

Someone trying to ask a question, and you guys are starting a Canon-Nikon war!? :dunno:

see what your photograpy friends are using. then get the same brand. Why? can share lens and hands-on tips.

IMHO, both brand are good system to start with when you are a newbie. and yah... even minolta.

The_Cheat said:
:kok: :kok: :kok:

Someone trying to ask a question, and you guys are starting a Canon-Nikon war!? :dunno:

where got??? ;p I never say canon no gd ;) I only say I like nikon :bsmilie:by the way. I using F75 and my best frd use canon 300.. both have almost the same feature but you must go and have a feel of both cameras....At the end of the day.. I believe it up to your own preference :)

Actually I huv also tried Minolta Dynax 5, e gd thing abt its is e eye control feature however feedback that I great frm some photography friends are that their svc in S'pore is pretty poor. Also is e small button beside e F75 called a diopter?

the button beside the viewfinder is called the dioptre

cs_sim said:
Actually I huv also tried Minolta Dynax 5, e gd thing abt its is e eye control feature however feedback that I great frm some photography friends are that their svc in S'pore is pretty poor. Also is e small button beside e F75 called a diopter?

Dynax 5 is my work-horse, so there's no complaint about it. Well, Minolta SLR are quite good in the sense that they're relatively cheap, for the given amount of functions. Just imagine, at the price of Dynax 5, you could maybe just afford a Nikon F55 or a EOS 300, which could perform less than what the Dynax 5 could. However, having said that, there are a few problem when you invest in a Minolta system: (1) there are less Minolta lenses available; (2) the service isn't really that great (the MIG does have people who know their stuff, but strangely I'd heard more complaints than praises!); (3) the resale market for Minolta is quite bad.

I won't exactly swear by Minolta, but so far, it's really I'm still very happy about their products. Anyway, at the end of the day, no one would really care what camera you are using, as long as you produce great pictures right?

hmmm....best is can borrow the camera from one of your friends...or maybe someone here at clubsnap...at the end of the dae...its the one u are most comfortable with...even with the same features...i am sure under certain conditions...one will produce effects different from the other....check out wif ppl with the two...look at the photos they have taken then decide....

Does the dioptre huv any effect on e clarity of the photo taken? Coz when trying e cams out, i realize by adjusting e dioptre e view is clearer but not sure if it works e same for e photo that are taken.

cs_sim said:
Does the dioptre huv any effect on e clarity of the photo taken? Coz when trying e cams out, i realize by adjusting e dioptre e view is clearer but not sure if it works e same for e photo that are taken.

I dont use the dioptre.. but it says it the manual tat it only affect the view of the photographer and not the picture.. ;)

cs_sim said:

seems like you have a long learning curve to go technically speaking. that's why I suggest if your friends all use minolta... go get a minolta. Personally tried their service centre. Ok lah... maybe I not so demanding. As long as can service my camera and don't give stupid excuses...I'm ok with it.

You notice that's one here who like Nikon and keep suggesting it to you... :)

In CS, different people have different 'preference' also... but who do you trust :think:

Ok got it thanks. ;) Juz wondering for vacations, is it necessary to bring along e 300mm lens?

if u goin overseas...normally i will bring everything..coz u never know wat u wanna take..and end up regretting....locally u can always go back again....but some tips for travelling..

1)bring along your proof of purchases....liek ya receipts(copies will do)

2)try not to look too conspicious wif ya cam bag....ppl eye tt....they rob you...summore ppl like us normally stray from normal tourist areas..

3)read up...know wat to expect when u get there..u can always visit embassies and talk to them...the ppl there are nice(so perhaps if u know wat u gonna get then u can decide on whether to bring the 300mm or not)

Also anywhere I can get some quick tip or lessons on how to use my slr?

cs_sim said:
Also anywhere I can get some quick tip or lessons on how to use my slr?

Quick tip to learn how to use the SLR? Err... I believe there's such a thing called the instruction manual!! :bsmilie:

check wif the store u buy it from...i got some mags about photo workshops comin on soon....but they teach some pretty high end stuff....universal i would say...as in like all SLRs type....for specific models i guess they only have workshops when the manufacturer says so....normally for the new models only....

Status
Not open for further replies.