EOS-RP ( Full Frame sensor < $2,000 ? )

Ah Keong

Dec 3, 2014
South
EOS-RP(440g) is 64% of the weight of the 6D mark II(685g)...

wow....

Or: the 6DII shouldn't have been that heavy in the first place. Good to see this trend.

Agree. Good to have such a portable option. Especially for travel.

Just curious anyone pre-order this camera? RP + RF24-105 seems to be too heavy.

Reactions: Ah Keong
The focus bracketing is the single reason to buy this body. I won’t even consider it without this feature as Canon has done it again: castrate lower end bodies so not to cannibalize their more lucrative brethrens.
Would I buy it? Absolutely! It trumps my 6D in the autofocus and focusing points department and of course the focus bracketing I mentioned earlier since I do a lot of products shots. The feature cuts my work hours by more than 60%. That’s a big deal.
Street price at new launch already goes $200 below RRP which is unbearable for a FF.

Just curious anyone pre-order this camera? RP + RF24-105 seems to be too heavy.
I have the kit. Lens is short but fat and is heavy.
But the combo is worth it: speed, focusing distance can be viewed from the screens and the excellent control ring.

Anyone have one? How well it works with third party lenses ah

Anyone have one? How well it works with third party lenses ah
The question should be: 'How well do 3rd party lenses work with the cameras?' - Canon tends to modify communication protocols without announcements, only considering backward compatibility with own equipment. Some pointers (based on own experience).
Chipped adapters: there are several different types in the market, some might cause issues.
Aperture control: should work fine, haven't heard of any problems here.
Auto focus: expect some focus hunting with third party lenses. With AF sensors embedded in the image sensor the topic of front/back focus is gone.
Flash: EOS M series already had issues with Yongnuo triggers. Luckily YN triggers can be updated to newer firmware and YN is providing updates. Now flawless.

The question should be: 'How well do 3rd party lenses work with the cameras?' - Canon tends to modify communication protocols without announcements, only considering backward compatibility with own equipment. Some pointers (based on own experience).
Chipped adapters: there are several different types in the market, some might cause issues.
Aperture control: should work fine, haven't heard of any problems here.
Auto focus: expect some focus hunting with third party lenses. With AF sensors embedded in the image sensor the topic of front/back focus is gone.
Flash: EOS M series already had issues with Yongnuo triggers. Luckily YN triggers can be updated to newer firmware and YN is providing updates. Now flawless.

Currently eos RP comes with canon RF to EF adapter so i think should be ok?~

Currently eos RP comes with canon RF to EF adapter so i think should be ok?~
That's just a physical adapter (covering the different flange distance) and passing through the EF mount lens contacts. It doesn't have any intelligence (unless it's the type with the additional ring). Likely, if a lens works on EF mount it will also work with adapter on RF mount. Still there is a chance that Canon changed something in the body-lens communication and it can affect third party lenses.
Check with any shop that have a show model, ask whether you can try your lens with EF-RF adapter.

had the body with bundled ef-r adaptor and covered 2-3 events using ef lens on the adaptor. so far so good; focusing speed and interface. also worked fine with manual fd-mount lens.

Reactions: Michaelavaloke2009
Anyone tried with EFs lenses, is it auto cropped or you need to change settings?
Lastly how many megapixel will that mode be?

Thanks in advance!

I’m really interested in the EOS RP but upon trying it out today I wasn’t so sure anymore. Any user here please advise why is there a momentarily pause between each shot even I turned off the image preview?

This greatly impact my ability to predict the next movement of my subject. Really obvious if I were to take a shot and move my position and I lose that 0.5sec visibility while my eye is still looking through the EVF.

Attached is the YouTube video showing what I meant. This is a deal breaker for me.
will there be a firmware solution?

Nothing about Canon EOS R(P). Here the complain from a Sony user:
https://fstoppers.com/originals/i-wish-id-known-i-moved-sony-366521
It's simply the way the mirrorless cameras work where the same image sensor is used for preview (viewfinder image) and image capturing.
Everything coupled with small design, low power consumption etc gives a certain delay.

i found the shortened grip to be an issue for the RP. However, can add the pinky grip to solve this issue. Though once you do that, size and weight very similar to eos R

Recent reports show Canon RP sales severely down dropping off a cliff.
Both Canon R and Canon RP are first tries by Canon for full frame mirrorless.
Both are mistakes. They are awful. Maybe can forgive since it is a first try.
But if the future full frame mirrorless from Canon from July 2019 onwards are also bad, then maybe Canon should give up.
In addition Canon got a mirrorless EOS M range which may be sidelined in near future.
Canon has too many lines of cameras and too many different lens mounts within 1 company.
This is a very confused company that CANNOT make up its mind.
Canon is confused as to which direction they want to go.
You can see Canon purposely crippling their camera + lens design, so as not to cannibalise on their EOS full frame DSLR bodies sales.
In addition there is always the commercial pressure to somehow purposely make the consumers buy another set of lenses in a different mount.
So as to generate new sales revenue to keep the workers employed in Canon camera division.
Then you see Canon refusing to have built-in anti-shake in their mirrorless bodies.
This is a big deal.
Nikon and Lumix have been able to do so.
Again Canon is afraid that it may affect their sales of lenses with Image Stabilisation.
Wonder if Canon could have made a mirrorless camera body that is big and has the required flange distance so that consumers can mount their EF lenses directly WITHOUT the need for any adapter? Then no need for consumers to spend another big sum of money buying fiddly RF mount lenses. When the existing EOS EF lens range is already so complete and well developed.
Why this obsession with "smallness" of camera body?
What consumers want is Performance and Cost Savings.

I think the EOS-M range is targeting the consumer who values compact dimensions.
They are finely made camera and lenses.
Great for travel.

I am also not surprised to Canon will have APS-C sized RF mount bodies in future.

i found the shortened grip to be an issue for the RP. However, can add the pinky grip to solve this issue. Though once you do that, size and weight very similar to eos R

It's funny when in the past, small-bodied dslrs were often criticised for its smallness and how it doesn't fit the hand.
Then when mirrorless came, ppl started to complain dslr is too big and heavy! no one complained about small cameras anymore!!

It's funny when in the past, small-bodied dslrs were often criticised for its smallness and how it doesn't fit the hand.
Then when mirrorless came, ppl started to complain dslr is too big and heavy! no one complained about small cameras anymore!!
Perception bias at its best :) - Personally I could never understand why people need the bulky format of large cameras.