EOS-R FF Mirrorless

The lens weights nearly twice as much as the older 1.2L .. close to 1kg. So the weight they cut off from the body got directly pushed to the lens. Canon successfully busted the myth of 'lightweight mirrorless system' :D

I agree to a certain extent, one thing noted is that this RF 50mm f/1,2L USM is based on a modern lens retrofocus design which has 15 elements / 9 groups while the older EF 50mm f/1,2L is based on a classical lens double gauss design which has 8 elements / 6 groups.

Looks like lens is the culprit ! :p

Happy n satisfied user. Beautiful background blur, Sharp subject. RF50mmf1.2L. Taken @f1.2, JPEG straight from camera.
30838731337_b4657d8ccb_k.jpg

30838731427_6f2a4432c9_k.jpg

Last edited:
You can get this in one of the EF adapters as well. No need to by RF lenses :)

Agree. But I have this feeling, the EF mount will soon become obsolete like the FD mount....

Can anyone advise, should i get the EOS R kit with the 24-105 RF and sell my 16-35 F4L

or buy the body only and keep my 16-35 F4L?

I mainly shoot landscapes, street and a light setup would be a plus point. Thx!

Reactions: lonewolf75
Can anyone advise, should i get the EOS R kit with the 24-105 RF and sell my 16-35 F4L
or buy the body only and keep my 16-35 F4L?
I mainly shoot landscapes, street and a light setup would be a plus point. Thx!
Simply, buy what you need. If you need the range of 36mm to 105mm, and if you can go without 16-23mm range, then the RF24-105 can help you.
Check your pictures and run some basics statistics which focal length you mostly use and in which moments you needed something different.
Have you checked the weight of the lenses? The RF24-105 weighs 700g, your current 16-35 f/4 L brings in 615g - you don't gain anything here.
For a really lightweight setup (and if you can afford to lose zoom) I would suggest the EF-RF adapter and some EF primes: 24 f/2.8 USM IS (280g) and EF 40 f/2.8 STM (130g). Back to the initial question what exactly do you need? (not 'want', mind the difference).

EOS R+EF16-35F4L IS@16mm,f/7.1.ISO800, 1/1.6sec, in camera HDR test shoot jpeg, on tripod.shutter release cable. Edited in Lightroom.
HDR-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ah Keong
Found something alarming and informative for strobist using EOS R.
Canon EOS R BUGS | *UPDATE*, HSS BANDING FIXED!! (see description)

I don't use canon and not defending it...storm in a tea cup , it's first generation! Travis Harris said he was using manual ( no problem with TTL) because he is a pro.:)
Do remember he is using 3rd. party flash, Profoto nonetheless.He's got a faulty Profoto remote! A follower said to change EOS R setting and that solves the manual
banding issue of course there are others like auto ISO so wait for firmware update. Below is the comments detail:

Travis Harris Photography
Published on Nov 13, 2018
HSS BAND IS FIXED!! (still other bugs..but, the band issue is now fixed!) A user made a comment that I needed to change a setting, and I did and now I have no more bright band! Here is the fix:

RED menu, #6.. Silent LV shoot = DISABLE! Now it will work!

Reactions: Michaelavaloke2009
Test shoot with the EOS R(in camera 1.6cropped mode )+1.4x+EF400mm f5.6L
@f/8.ISO400, 1/250sec. on monopod. heavily cropped in Lightroom.

bird-1.jpg

b4 cropped look like:
Test-1-13.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ah Keong