EOS Academy Photography Contest

J2meePok

Jul 10, 2008
www.flickr.com
Yo call all students,

i found this link... for students who might interested in joining.

http://www.canon.com.sg/eosacademy/schoolchallenge/

1st First
EOS 7D KIT II
(EF S18-135IS)
EOS 550D KIT
(EF S18-55IS)
EOS 550D Body
Speedlite 580EX II
Speedlite 430EX II
EF 70-200 f/4.0 L IS USM
EF S10-22 f/3.5-4.5 USM
EF S60 f/2.8 Macro USM
PRO9000 MARK II

TOTAL WORTH UP TO $13,000!

2nd Prize
EOS 550D KIT II
(EF S18-135IS)
EOS 550D KIT
(EF S18-55IS)
Speedlite 430EX II
PRO9000 MARK II

TOTAL WORTH UP TO $5,000!

3rd Prize
EOS 500D KIT
(EF S18-55IS)
EOS 550D KIT II
(EF S18-135IS)
PRO9000 MARK II

TOTAL WORTH UP TO $4,000!

Terms & Condition

Eligibility

The Contest is organised by Canon Singapore Pte. Ltd. ("CSPL") and co-organized by National Junior College. It is open to all Eligible Participants. By submitting an entry to the Contest, you are deemed to have agreed to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
An "Eligible Participant" means a Full-Time Student who is a Citizen or Permanent Resident currently living in Singapore, and who has submitted a 'Qualifying Entry' to CSPL during the 'Qualifying Period'.
A "Qualifying Entry" means the "successful submission of the votes" together with any other information requested. The completion and validity of the particulars of each entry shall be determined at CSPL's sole discretion.
'Qualifying Period' means the period from 14 January 2011, 09:00 to 13th May 2011, 23:59.
The Contest takes place in Singapore.

Contest & Prizes

All prizes are non-transferable and nom-exchangeable and are subject to the terms and conditions accompanying them (if any). CSPL may at its sole and absolute discretion withdraw and/or substitute any prize with any other item of similar value without notice and without furnishing any reason.

General

All particulars submitted by each participant shall be made in full and frank disclosure.
CSPL shall not be liable in any way to any person for any loss, injury or damage arising from or in connection with the Contest.
CSPL makes no warranties, representations or guarantee either expressed or implied regarding any prize including but not limited to the any warranty of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
CSPL shall have the sole and absolute discretion to decide on all matters relating to or in connection with the Contest. CSPL shall not be obliged to enter into any correspondence with any participant on any matter concerning the Contest.
CSPL may at any time at its sole and absolute discretion terminate the Contest or vary any of these Terms and Conditions without prior notice and without furnishing any reason.
In the event of any inconsistency between the Terms and Conditions and any advertising, promotional, publicity and other material relating to or in connection with the Contest, these Terms and Conditions shall prevail.
These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by Singapore laws and the participants of the Contest shall submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of Singapore courts. This Contest is null and void in any jurisdiction where its operation is prohibited by law.

Disclaimer: I'm not part of the staff/committee, I'm just a passerby who notice the web/contest.

Last edited:
How is the winner determined? By votes or by internal judging?

Any consolation prizes or token of participation?

I don't want to participate in a competition where I don't know how the winners are being chosen, why their photos are chosen, going back home with a "thank you for making this event a successful (not) event".

Sent an email out to Russell Koh @ Canon SG since he's the one sending the emails out and he knows me from a few SA related events.

Last edited:
I don't think canon photo-marathons were selected through photographic qualities.... it is actually impossible to do so....

Judges are / were on location to select the best images. Voting schemes were never put in place. They are selected based on quality of the photograph and correspondence to the set themes. So yes, it is far from impossible.

Last edited:
I don't think canon photo-marathons were selected through photographic qualities.... it is actually impossible to do so....

photomarathons were judged by professional judges on hand.

like the last one, it was done with a string of very very established local photogs from associated press / reuters and the straits times. :)

photomarathons were judged by professional judges on hand.

like the last one, it was done with a string of very very established local photogs from associated press / reuters and the straits times. :)

but better than facebook voting style. all u need is kelong urself with CS votes (assuming ur popular here), almost sure to win:sweat:

if its voting then I guess it's in a way unfair alr. otherwise I think I'd try!

Aiya, all these competitions are unfair lah. When are judges objective enough to be classified as 'objective'? So what if they are professionals or have some yu gi oh eyes? They are still affected by the their feelings and what not in them.

I don't believe that only that handful of photos were being seen as good during SYPA but only those lucky ones got chosen.

Aiya, all these competitions are unfair lah. When are judges objective enough to be classified as 'objective'? So what if they are professionals or have some yu gi oh eyes? They are still affected by the their feelings and what not in them.

I don't believe that only that handful of photos were being seen as good during SYPA but only those lucky ones got chosen.

i'm fine. at least judges have a slightly better acceptance of technicalities. not saying its fair. i always called them lucky draws:)

but kelong voting with facebook is just an easy publicity stunt to get large amt of ppl viewing a page lar. thats what i feel

tehzeh said:

yeah like what Allenleonhart said, I'm saying this in comparison to the Like thing as seen on facebook.

i'm fine. at least judges have a slightly better acceptance of technicalities. not saying its fair. i always called them lucky draws:)

but kelong voting with facebook is just an easy publicity stunt to get large amt of ppl viewing a page lar. thats what i feel

yeah like what Allenleonhart said, I'm saying this in comparison to the Like thing as seen on facebook.

hahahaha... i doubt canon dares to do that kind of thing lah... would only kena rotten eggs from the local photography community.... even though that would really help in their advertising... hahahah....

hahahaha... i doubt canon dares to do that kind of thing lah... would only kena rotten eggs from the local photography community.... even though that would really help in their advertising... hahahah....

cough coughs:bsmilie:

# Capture your own shots using any camera of your choice and submit up to 5 of your best photographs.
# Both you and your school earn 1 point for every vote you receive!

wanna kelong vote me? if everyoen vote me, i sell off the canon when i win and treat everyone coffee:)

cough coughs:bsmilie:

wanna kelong vote me? if everyoen vote me, i sell off the canon when i win and treat everyone coffee:)

Coffee only ah? Siala don't wanna vote for you liao.

Anyways, hope I get a reply tomorrow when Russell @ Canon SG goes back to work.

Coffee only ah? Siala don't wanna vote for you liao.

Anyways, hope I get a reply tomorrow when Russell @ Canon SG goes back to work.

:bsmilie: cs many ppl leh. u sell off everything, treat everyone one cup coffee i think just nice;p

see what russell says bah. i'll take a lucky draw from the judges over kelong voting thats for sure. let me know:)

oh yea. nice chief photographer:bsmilie:

*edit* i think it would be a nice show on how lame it is that we have voting competitions, where we can kelong vote. wouldnt it be nice if we submitted a really crappy photo, and just kelong till it wins?

Last edited:
Received a reply from Russell @ Canon SG.

Paraphrased, it goes like this:

One of their intentions is to entice students everywhere with gear.

--this feeds into our gear-whore mind of photographers or photographer-wannabes.

The key objective of the competition, is to promote the all-round appreciation of photography among students.
We aimed at promoting photograhy not just within photography clubs, that's where voting comes in.
We hope your peers are able to have a platform, to look at your photos, do their part and help your school to win attractive prizes.

--My take: This voting mechanism is a platform for a photographer to engage his social network into voting for him/her, and in the process, the network will be able to view everyone's galleries. In the process, the people in his/her social network will be inspired to take up photography, not just because of the prizes, but because of the wide variety of photographs that might appeal to their hearts in the competition.

Opinionated summary:

Trying to break into the student population and promote photography through the viewing and voting of photographs and the ability to change the competition landscape. In the process, subtly (or maybe not so subtly) advertise themselves. Based solely on voting, which is indeed a test of networking competence if one wants to win.

I ended off like so, because I personally don't like the way Canon and Nikon are doing things with such voting competitions, but what the heck.

My personal view is that gear, while important, is often highly overrated by the current student population of Singapore. Many view the purchase of gear itself to be an obstacle that needs overcoming before they can break into the rather "elitist" world they perceive as photography. Thus, the Saints family of schools is promoting and planting the seeds of thought, if you will, that photography is almost completely about seeing and can be achieved without expensive equipment.

Of course, my opinions aren't worth two hoots in the real world because I am not as influential in the photographic community as MNCs such as Canon, Nikon and other companies that can very easily and effectively change the landscape of photography and the perspectives of young budding photographers in Singapore.

Zexun

Last edited:
well... the easiest way would, of course be just submitting a bad photo and kelong it...

zx ya joining?

Unlikely, and if I do, grudgingly. Forwarded the emails to my exco and we'll cast our votes soon.

Headshotzx, could you clarify something?

I do understand the fact that photography could be done using anything, even without camera, but I do not get why the people who often say this are usually people who have a mountain of gears.

Of course, I am not saying that these people do not have the right to own all these things, but since they are aware of this fact, why do they still spend big money on such things, when photography needs no such things?