Eos 7d?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongzn

Sep 8, 2009
Hi all, i'm quite new to DSLR but not very new to photography (been using a prosumer for awhile). I was wondering, since i know i ll be doing this for a long time because i really enjoy photography, is it wise if my first DSLR was a EOS 7D? I know it is definitely way beyond an entry-level camera, but if i know i'm going to do take this seriously, why not get a better one which will keep me satisfied longer before i progress further. Rather than getting an entry-level one and switch to a EOS 7D level camera later, which i know i eventually will.

Please share your comments and advices. Merry Xmas folks.

Absolutely no problem! :) just because it's not common doesn't mean it's wrong! Go for it

Just curious: what is your reason for getting the 7D? Have u reached the limits of your prosumer?

Hi all, i'm quite new to DSLR but not very new to photography (been using a prosumer for awhile). I was wondering, since i know i ll be doing this for a long time because i really enjoy photography, is it wise if my first DSLR was a EOS 7D? I know it is definitely way beyond an entry-level camera, but if i know i'm going to do take this seriously, why not get a better one which will keep me satisfied longer before i progress further. Rather than getting an entry-level one and switch to a EOS 7D level camera later, which i know i eventually will.

Please share your comments and advices. Merry Xmas folks.

In all honesty, and not being sarcastic ...

Depends heavily on what you shoot, how you shoot, where you shoot, what you need to shoot, what you will shoot with and what you think you will want to shoot later on.

We have absolutely no idea of these important factors ...

Merry Christmas!

Go for the best that u can afford.
To be limited by your own creativity is not as bad as being limited by the equip that you use. =)

In all honesty, and not being sarcastic ...

Depends heavily on what you shoot, how you shoot, where you shoot, what you need to shoot, what you will shoot with and what you think you will want to shoot later on.

We have absolutely no idea of these important factors ...

Merry Christmas!

I'm more into portraits, street photography and night shots. Once in awhile, of course landscapes and macro. I need a camera powerful for night photography and fast enough. I should be able to afford a 7D but still want to hear out from the experts about this.

Get the best body you can afford. Then slowly collect lens.

I'm more into portraits, street photography and night shots. Once in awhile, of course landscapes and macro. I need a camera powerful for night photography and fast enough. I should be able to afford a 7D but still want to hear out from the experts about this.

hmmmmm....:think: "powerful" for night photography??
and you're gonna use ISO x000 for night shots?

That's the way!!!
Go and get 7D!!!
One shot one kill.

After that just slowly collect those good lens..
:thumbsup:

1Dmk4 or D3s ftw!

Nothing that states you really need state of the art AF, extra reach, very high frame rates or extra clean extra high ISO performance ... so I would actually say consider a basic FF camera for the better IQ instead. 2nd hand ones are really affordable. And spend more on very good quality lenses.

Unless you want the 'latest n greatest', with the claim 'greatest' being very subjective.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what "...camera powerful for night photography and fast enough" means.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
There is no need to save now and spend more later.

The problem will be spend now and spend more later.

go get it bro! 7d ftw! 7d is my first cam too and i'm glad i did't start with entry level cause i got the hang of this baby pretty easily :)

why not if you can afford it... ;)

I took a different approach when I started. I bought a 2nd hand dslr at $550.
After 5 mths and 5000 shots, and reading books and surfing internet on photography daily. I understand myself, my camera and photography better.

I do not agree that it is a waste of money to start with entry level dslr. At least for my case, it helps me to develop a good knowledge and the basic skills to go further.

If you are not shooting fast object, go for a 5DMK2 instead. Note that Canon FF body only can accept L lense unless you intend to switch brand or stay at crop body.

FF bodies can only accept EF lenses, not EF-S lenses.
EF lenses are not all L's.

I would go FF 5D / 5DMk2 for your needs.

If you are not shooting fast object, go for a 5DMK2 instead. Note that Canon FF body only can accept L lense unless you intend to switch brand or stay at crop body.

Canon FF bodies are compatible with all EF lenses, L or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.