EOS 7D Downgraded resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benny2174

Jul 16, 2010
www.wix.com
Hi I need to check any1 here experience the following situation.

Normally I take photos with my EOS 7D using mRAW which gives me roughly abt ~10MB of Jpeg after processing. But recently around June time onwards, I found out that the Jpeg output for my RAW is about 10MB and mRaw is about 5MB. Is there a problem with my camera?

I suppose for EOS 7D RAW should give me a ~18MB Jpeg output and mRAW should give me ~10MB Jpeg output right?

At what what were you shooting at? Higher ISO usually leads to larger file.. But maybe not that much....but just checking..

Normal award presentation and outdoor daylight. All along the Jpeg size is abt ~10MB for my mRaw but only in June I found out that they slipped down...the file dimensions remains the same....really headache

Well, if there isn't any VISIBLE signs of degrading image quality, I won't be worried about the file size/resolution.

Ao if I wanted to hv tat size I had to convert it to tiff?

Why would you want the file size bigger?

Juz checking coa I had clients wanted image size of 15MB

Hahaa....Hi Catchlight. I dont take up those cheapo assignments. Instead I met bad paymaster who asked me to take SYF then now delaying payment since late April. They scream at us for not taking a 15MB size photo for them instead of paying us.

Hahaa....Hi Catchlight. I dont take up those cheapo assignments. Instead I met bad paymaster who asked me to take SYF then now delaying payment since late April. They scream at us for not taking a 15MB size photo for them instead of paying us.

Sometime I really dun understand why customer would insist of measuring deliverable in MB instead of MP...

Hi all Thanks...juz got back from Canon Svcs...They answered my queries...7D Raw can only goes up to about 10MB Jpeg after processing...They said if we want to boast up the MB then we had to increase the file size of the Jpeg during the processing and that will boast up the MB. And the LCD shows RAW (18M) is the RAW file size not the Jpeg size. Kamsia to all again.

Hi all Thanks...juz got back from Canon Svcs...They answered my queries...7D Raw can only goes up to about 10MB Jpeg after processing...They said if we want to boast up the MB then we had to increase the file size of the Jpeg during the processing and that will boast up the MB. And the LCD shows RAW (18M) is the RAW file size not the Jpeg size. Kamsia to all again.

Sorry, can you explain this again? I read a few time but i can't understand what the svc center told you.
You mean when your mRAW is 18MB in size…and you save it to a jpg, you can only save it max 10MB in size for jpg? I never knew that..
How do you increase the jpg filesize during processing?

I have no idea why would someone more keen on how many MB a images filesize have instead of the content of the photos,

anyway, if anyone ask me to produce event photos with 15MB jpg, I will not hesitate to tell them that my camera is not good enough, please kindly look for someone else.

Sorry, can you explain this again? I read a few time but i can't understand what the svc center told you.
You mean when your mRAW is 18MB in size…and you save it to a jpg, you can only save it max 10MB in size for jpg? I never knew that..
How do you increase the jpg filesize during processing?

The technician told me tat jpg is always half of de raw size meaning if Raw file is +/-18MB then jpg will be ard +/-9MB.

Increase de export dimension setting like 5188 increase to 7xxx thus increase de file size.

The technician told me tat jpg is always half of de raw size meaning if Raw file is +/-18MB then jpg will be ard +/-9MB.

Increase de export dimension setting like 5188 increase to 7xxx thus increase de file size.

That is not totally correct. Filesize is not just dependent on resolution alone...

usually my raw image between 19 to 23MB.. 23MB+- when i shot in broad day light.. fine jpeg usually between 6.5-9MB.. havnt encounter my jpeg reach 10MB..

For one thing, file size has nothing to do with how good the photograph is taken, I am sure most here will agree :) silly measurement per say.

I am not sure if all camera has both, but some cameras like mine come in both quality priority and size priority. The former would means the quality is fixed and the filesize will fluctuate based on the scene. Noisy and dense looking scene will yield larger filesize, well lit scene normally gives relatively smaller filesize. Same for smooth gradient scene such as sky and flat colors.
The latter would means an intended filesize is assumed by the processor, and the quality will be sacrificed if the scene is noisy or dense since it requires more bits per unit space to store less compressible data, but since you wanted the filesize to not bloat up, the only way is increase the compression which gives worse quality.

Catchlight, it is all that co who undertakes the SYF says...We as photographers also dunno wat's the agreement between them and MOE as nothing had been briefed to us beforehand. What I tell you folks is Canon technician do demonstrate practically to me using their DPP that by altering the desire file size do gives higher image size. He also admits the quality will slightly sacrificed but if that is the requirement of the end customer then no choice. Thanks again folks for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.