EOS 600D Change to Nikon D7000 or D300?

Popsicles

Jul 10, 2011
Lion City .
Firstly, sorry for even mentioning the N word in the canon forum :embrass:

Secondly, i have a 600D, 18-55mm, 55-200 and 50mm f/1.8.

When i use my friend's D7000 i was impressed, the autofocus was quick and it is weather sealed. And with the 18-105, it caused about $2000. Around the amount i spent my money on my kit.

Now im considering to sell the kit to buy a second hand D7000 or D300. Should i?

It wouldn't matter much to the final photos unless you need to track focus, where D7000 beats 600D. How well the price justifies the handling - only you can answer that.

Firstly, sorry for even mentioning the C word in the nikon forum

When i use my friend's D7000 i was impressed, the autofocus was quick and it is weather sealed. And with the 18-105, it caused about $2000. Around the amount i spent my money on my kit.

Now im considering to sell the kit to buy a second hand D7000 or D300. Should i?

Autofocus speed depends on the lens too. If he was using a 17-55 f2.8 on his D7000, it will focus faster than your 600D with 18-55mm.

Right now I don't think you actually need to switch. I would advise you that should you want to upgrade, do make sure you get better grade lenses. No point switching camps here and there and using all the kit lenses, end up you save more money by sticking to your own system and getting the better lenses for that system. Canon has some really good lenses too, like the EF-S 10-22, and their teles are very good too, with the option of getting the (comparatively) affordable 70-200 F4 tele zoom.

Should you want to switch systems, I think it should be because you think the Nikon interface and buttons make more sense to you. Otherwise, I don't think you should change systems. Every system has its good and bad points, once you use the Nikon bodies more you will find they also have flaws.

getting impressed at d7000's AF speed only isnt a strong enough reason to switch camps... like brapodam said, if the ergonomics of the nikon system appeals more to u n feel easier to use in ur opinion as compared to canon's system, then it makes sense to switch camps. lenses play an important role in AF speed as well. furthermore, if u wan a better body (weather-sealed, faster AF speed n etc), why not look at 7d instead? 7d's AF speed is comparable to D300/D300s, n faster than the d7000 as well.

switching camps is more costly than just upgrading within the same brand. i'd rather u save the money n invest on better glass instead.

Last edited:
If you feel more comfortable with the D7000 than go ahead. I must admit the D7000 is one hell of a beast. Either camp will get you the same pictures.

If you want to switch camp, switch early before you own more lenses. The Canon lenses you own now, won't lose a lot of monie.

You need to know why you want to change. Generally people will discourage you from switching camp. I say go ahead if you want. No one can stop you, except yourself.
I swap camp before (similar like your experience), so I understand how it feels.

Do some research for known "issues" with d7000 as well :)

Popsicles said:

have u try canon 60D, 7D or even 5D mkII? 600D and D7000 are of different class.

i would stick to canon unless i've a stronger reasons to switch camp.

Again Nikon D70000 for me !

I am actually leaning more to nikon. As my brother has a D5000 and i enjoyed using it. The build quality of nikon seems better than canon. Even on the stock 18-55, you can feel it. Also, if you use canon, u have to use exposure compensation to adjust till you happy with the fill flash. Nikon, just change to fill flash can liao.

Nikon D5000 seems to focus faster than EOS 600D (Both on stock lens). However, D5000 seems to have longer shutter lag. Though i havent experienced it on my friend's D7000. I love to shoot sports and im disappointed with the EOS 600D's continous focus. The D5000 seems to be more accurate. So, D7000 or D300 should be better than 600D right? Not considering weight and size all those.

google said:
Again Nikon D70000 for me !

I'm beginning to wonder if you are doing this on purpose....

To TS: I'm a nikon fan boy, but I'm asking you to stick to canon. It's a change of system entirely and u might not be used to. D7k is indeed a better camera than 600D in many aspect, but canon has it's merits too. Since you had already buy into canon, switching is costly.. If u die die must change, then pull the plug right away.

Popsicles said:
I am actually leaning more to nikon. As my brother has a D5000 and i enjoyed using it. The build quality of nikon seems better than canon. Even on the stock 18-55, you can feel it. Also, if you use canon, u have to use exposure compensation to adjust till you happy with the fill flash. Nikon, just change to fill flash can liao.

Nikon D5000 seems to focus faster than EOS 600D (Both on stock lens). However, D5000 seems to have longer shutter lag. Though i havent experienced it on my friend's D7000. I love to shoot sports and im disappointed with the EOS 600D's continous focus. The D5000 seems to be more accurate. So, D7000 or D300 should be better than 600D right? Not considering weight and size all those.

I'm not sure how you derive longer shutter lag from 600D when it happens so fast. Unless it's the speed of writing to memory card..

D7000 and D300(s) belongs to 1 and 2 classes above 600D. Nowadays, the direct comparison from Nikon lineup is D5100.

Actually every camera system there's a learning curve to it. Regardless how long you handle your own dslr, there's always something new to learn and try out different features. So getting used to it, is really a good thing to learn another camera system.

I use my bro's D5000 frequently and i like the layout of it better. 600D just seems like a toy. I only threw about $1900. If i sell then hopefully get back about $1700. Then i buy 2nd hand body and lens. Even though i might waste money, but i feel like it's worth it. But all my friends say stay with canon (Most of them canon user), so not sure if they biased.

Try not to compare the kit lenses when making judgments on the entire system. Eventually you will outgrow the kit lens and move on to other lenses, and I assure you the top grade Canon and Nikon (and other brands, of course) lenses are all very well built.

If you prefer the D5000's layout to the 600D's layout, chances are the Nikon system/interface would make more sense to you. If that is the case, it is justified to switch camps to Nikon. However, do take note that no matter which system you are on, there will be another system that is better in certain aspects. For me I put camera interface as a top priority as it is what affects my shooting experience the most. Focusing speed and all that stuff can be improved by getting better lenses, but how easy and fast I can change settings depends on the system/interface.

Last edited:
I do realise that top grade lenses will be all very well built. I also realise that D300 and D7000 is 1/2 class above 600D. That is the reason why i planning to buy second hand body. The most important thing on my mind is the autofocus.

And oopss, i accidentally mixed up the shutter lag with memory writing speed.

I do realise that top grade lenses will be all very well built. I also realise that D300 and D7000 is 1/2 class above 600D. That is the reason why i planning to buy second hand body. The most important thing on my mind is the autofocus.

And oopss, i accidentally mixed up the shutter lag with memory writing speed.
why is auto focus that important to you after your experience with 600D?

Seems damn slow and IQ quite bad even though i borrow 7D's kit lens, the 15-85mm.

And im not that kind that bank account can empty to buy lens like 24-70mm.