EOS 5 or EOS 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethro

Jan 20, 2002
Visit site
Which is a better camera, EOS 5 or EOS 30?:bsmilie:

Hello, everyone.

I am in the same dilemma also.....it is quite difficult to choose between these 2 camera also...I have another question also, digital or film? At the ~1.5k i can get a dc and a SLR. BUt which one to choose? If i choose to get a SLR, what is the basic lens (standard lens) that I should get?
EF 50mm f/1.0L USM or
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM or
EF 50mm f/1.8 II $160 MM

Budget is around $1.5k for the whole minimum system:D

EF 50mm f/1.0L USM ??

think 1.5k not enough for that lens itself...

Originally posted by Jethro
Which is a better camera, EOS 5 or EOS 30?:bsmilie:

If I had to choose, I would take the EOS30.
5 is real backdated ... plus seems alot of issues with broken knobs.. and the fact that its no more in production... wat if spoilt and in few yrs time and no parts to make repairs?

Buy the EOS30 and save up for good lenses. When u get a DSLR later on you will find the digital one is more frequently used.

Originally posted by docile

5 is real backdated ... plus seems alot of issues with broken knobs.. and the fact that its no more in production... wat if spoilt and in few yrs time and no parts to make repairs?

The EOS 5 has been in production for about 10 years give and take. One of the longest running production at Canon. Think about the number of people that owns this camera. Do you think Canon is stupid enough to turn its back on these owners? Think not.

I don't mind about the production things.
Just that the "EOS 30" will become another "EOS5" in one day........
So, after few years, EOS 30 will be a history also.....just that either stick with canon's system or nikon's? headache..........:cry: or digital G2 , D7 etc?;p

EF 50mm f/1.0L USM ??

think 1.5k not enough for that lens itself...

sorry, please ignore this lens (since it is so expensive).:D

I was in a similar situation when I wuz switching from my Nikon system. I was deciding betw. EOS-3, 5 and 30. For my need I got the 30.

If U need spot meter and interchangable focusing screen and PC sync socket then get the 5. If U need accurate flash (E-TTL) and faster response then go for the 30. Its a damn good camera.

Originally posted by AdamGoi
For a budget of $1.5k, may I suggest that you get a EOS 30, EF 50mm f/1.8 II and a Speedlite 420EX! You'll still have $$ left to buy film and batteries!

thanks!
btw, why not
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM?:dunno:

Originally posted by 007

thanks!
btw, why not
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM?:dunno:

EF 50mm f/1.8 cost abt $140
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM cost abt $600

both lens produce almost good quality ... do u think it is worth to spend 4 times price ?

unless you
- need quiet and faster focusing
- need f1.4 (1 stop higher)
- need better built lens
- have $

I'd definitely recommend the 50/1.8 over the 1.4. At almost 1/5 the cost (the 50/1.8 is available at $130 in many shops), it's worth it. As for AF speed, they are about the same... in fact, I felt the 50/1.8 was faster since it had to move much less than the 50/1.4.

Save up your money for film and processing.

you can get alot with 1.5k///
when i started out ..me only have less than yours by a lot...
you must know waht you wan..
is a flash very important to you..
do you use flash very ofthen..
the money saved on the flash can get you aother lens man..
If you ask me..
i will go for the 5
but the 30 is also a good bet.
since 5 been alround or a long time...
everyone know the dial problem..
so whenyou use you must be careful lah...
remember the 5 suppose to be a pro backup..
but if you not using the advanced function, the 30 is a good buy..

forgot to say the superiority of the 5 is the spot meter ...
the 30 got other strengths of course....
--more focusing points.. (but later one will learn that one focusing point is generally more than enough)
--- faster AF...( but this in terms of milliseconds)
---- and others which i cannot think of now...
correct me if i am wrong the flash syn speed of the 5 is suppose to better(i think it is higher or what )...
but the 30 is cheaper...
can spend the money on other things like bulkk loader man...
i realise at this point of time in my photography learning experience is that things like loupe lah, light box lah, dry box alh..
are also verry important

Status
Not open for further replies.