EOS 450D or E-520?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridehomewithme

Aug 10, 2008
hi i'm intending to get my first DSLR and i cant decide between the 450D or the E-520. any suggestions?

hi i'm intending to get my first DSLR and i cant decide between the 450D or the E-520. any suggestions?

Yes. Come with specific questions please. Your question is too generic as to give a useful answer. Why do you narrow down on 400D or E-520? Which features or requirements make you uncertain about which cam to take?

Last edited:
E-520 has in camera stabilization. Oly's consumer lenses are sharper than Canon's. Oly's live-view works much better.

If you intend to spend more than 10k buy Canon as the system is more comprehensive. Otherwise Oly is fantastic value.

You are buying a system, not just a camera body.
System includes cam body, lenses, flash and other accessories.

You should go with whichever that best meets your needs. Btw, olympus is using a 4/3 system unlike canon using 3:2 ratio. They are somewhat different.

Read more reviews, get a feel of those cams and then choose.

well, first things first, money's of quite a concern to me. i am rather afraid i'll lose interest later on, so i wont want to spend too much money at the start.

i narrowed it down to these two choices cus i've read many reviews and they rated these two cameras rather highly. i originally had the D60 in mind, but many reviews rated it badly. i checked up on the EOS 1000D, but many said that it's more worth it to pay a bit more for a better camera, the 450D. i have friends who use the 450D and the earlier 400D and they loved their cameras. i tried them out and felt that they handled just nice.

the olympus was a second choice cus i've been following the model range for quite a while. the 420 was rated impressive and camera labs.com rated the 520 equally good as the 450D. the price was within my starting budget too. the twin lens kit (14-42mm and the 70-300mm included) started at about 1500 retail while the kit for the 450D is at 1299 at Alan's photo, coupled with the EF-S 55-250 IS lens, that would make it about 1800.

my budget says the olympus, but my friends says canon (they're into photography too), so yeah cant make a choice.

with regards to the specs, the canon offers 2MP more and a larger screen (0.3 inches larger) and 14 bit imaging processing (i dont quite understand this bit).

on the olympus, the image stabilisation is built in the body, as compared to lens on the canon. the anti dust system on the olympus is also reportedly more effective than the canon system.

but will the two megapixels make so much of a difference in the image quality? (heard the resolution increase is quite small)

also, the olympus looks more of a bargain than the canon, which will allow me to save some cash for more accessories like an external flash and another lens.

i dont know. what are your comments?

I'd say look beyond those 2. Pentax and Sony make some great cameras too, with far better dynamic range then the Olys.

Sorry to interject, but I'm just curious as to how true this is. Are there facts to back this up?

Disclaimer: I'm a Nikon user by the way, not some Canon fan-boy.

Go check out the lens reviews of the Olympus kit lens, for example the 14-42mm. I think Dpreview has it. :)

And to the TS: I feel the image stabilization can compensate for the slightly larger screen and 2MP.

The kit lenses of the E-520 can definitely keep you occupied for a long time. The 14-42mm and 70-300mm package is really a good buy. You get your wide angle and super-telephoto.

The higher resolution would not matter much unless you pixel peep.

Go check out the camera's physically. I personally haven't handled both cameras although I personally own an Olympus and used a Canon 400D before. :)

To TS. Why not go down to the shop, play around & take a look at the cameras which u have mentioned. This might help u in making up your mind

on and one more thing. would the flash on the camera be sufficient for an amatuer or and external flash will be needed?

What do you intend to use yr camera for?

Will you end up buying more lenses/accessories?

The more comprehensive system is prob the Canon system. But if you check the price of the equivalent lenses, the Canon lenses tend to cost more. Much more if you go for the high end ones with inbuilt IS etc meant for their top of the range EOS1 FF bodies.

Me, I tend to think that those buying the 450D and below bodies are kinda like buying the Mercedes A series cars; pay much more for the Mercs badge but car not as well built/speced as say an Accord/Camry/Golf. If want to buy a Merc start at the C class. Same for Canon; if serious go for the 5D up. The APS-C sensor is a compromise for the 35 mm FF, for which most of their lenses are designed for.

The Oly E-system lenses are designed ground up for their 4/3 sensor.

well, i'll be using it for landscape, event and travel photography. and yeah i'll end up buying some more equipment later on.

i agree that the canon system has an extensive lens range, but it costs a lot. and i think purchasing another lens (most probably a prime lens) will be enough for my needs. as for the external flash, i don't really know how to select one that is suitable for my needs.

well, i'll be using it for landscape, event and travel photography. and yeah i'll end up buying some more equipment later on.

i agree that the canon system has an extensive lens range, but it costs a lot. and i think purchasing another lens (most probably a prime lens) will be enough for my needs. as for the external flash, i don't really know how to select one that is suitable for my needs.

If that's the case just get a 450D and maybe get a 50mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.4 prime later on? Consider getting the 18-55mm IS kit lens as well. It has built-in image stabilization.

Your friends are all canon users?
Are they willing to lend you their lenses on occasions? If so, then you already have an extensive lenses collection.

Just splurge a bit on the one lens you would need on most situations, be willing to lend them you lens also!

Im a Olympus E3 user. I dont think the 4:3 or 3:2 will affect u in ur shooting habits. what u see in the viewfinder is what u shoot. The 4/3 just shows more in the pics that's all. To sum up what I feel about Olympus is :

1. SSWF - It has been proven to be the most effective dust buster at the moment. I never have chance to send in my cam for sensor cleaning on my previous E500(1.5 yrs old) and present E3. I change my lens anywhere & as and when i need. I dont have to worry about dust that gets in.

2. Body IS - 3 stop E510, 3.5 stop E520 and 5 stop in E3. I find tons of urgument on Lens IS vs Body IS. Anyway the IS works and helps alot when handheld on 200mm which is = 400mm focusing distant. If those that think lens IS is better, Panasonic produce 4/3 IS lens.

3. Colors - It really produce brillant colors.

4. Kit lens - even the kit lens is very capable in producing.

5. Liveview - good for some awkward angles and macro espicially when u need precision focusing, turn on liveview with 7X or 10X and do manual focus.

6. Noise - Tons of user after reading particular reviewing website thinks that noise control on Olympus is bad. I must admit Olympus should further enhance in noise Control but does most cameras using APSC sensor do well or shares the same good control over noise just like 35mm Full Frame sensor ??? If you are very particular in noise, than 35mm full frame will be the only choice for you. If u think that u can accept abit of noise or need to use some noise processing software to remove away the noise later, than i think all cameras is about the same.

Im just sharing my experience on Olympus and hopefully no guns will be pointing on me after reading. Perhaps Canon 450D user would like to share their experience to help TS. Peace & Cheers :)

What do you intend to use yr camera for?

Will you end up buying more lenses/accessories?

The more comprehensive system is prob the Canon system. But if you check the price of the equivalent lenses, the Canon lenses tend to cost more. Much more if you go for the high end ones with inbuilt IS etc meant for their top of the range EOS1 FF bodies.

Me, I tend to think that those buying the 450D and below bodies are kinda like buying the Mercedes A series cars; pay much more for the Mercs badge but car not as well built/speced as say an Accord/Camry/Golf. If want to buy a Merc start at the C class. Same for Canon; if serious go for the 5D up. The APS-C sensor is a compromise for the 35 mm FF, for which most of their lenses are designed for.

The Oly E-system lenses are designed ground up for their 4/3 sensor.

This is a good summary of Canon's philosophy. Canon reserves its best technology for it pro cameras and lenses. By building up its reputation with professionals, it capitalizes on this at consumer level but you are paying mostly for the brand when competitive brands offer much better value at entry levels.

Sorry to interject, but I'm just curious as to how true this is. Are there facts to back this up?

Disclaimer: I'm a Nikon user by the way, not some Canon fan-boy.

Just surf the internet. BTW, Canon's earlier kit lens, the 18-55 is one of the worst, just go to Canon forum. Even Nikon offered so much more in its kit lenses that you are spoilt for choice.

I disagree. Canon does not ignore on the 2 series body. The L lens is also targeted toward the APS-C size.

And if you reckon that the technologies and lens is more on FF, then why does the EOS 1D comes with a 1.3x APS-H sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.