[EOS 450D] Is this a good deal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaforDesigns

May 24, 2009
This is a used DSLR camera from a local person in my area . When I was talking to the owner of this camera he said the reason for gettign rid of it is for a upgrade. He has only owned it for 1 year. I have not gone & looked at this for my self just yet. I am in the market to buy my first DSLR camera. I need one for college I just singed up to take a digital photography class & I need a DSLR...

What are some main things to look at when viewing a used camera ? this is the description on the camera
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$440.00 Canon Rebel XSi (also known as EOS 450D). Body only. Black. 12.2 Megapixels. Priced to sell. Won't last. Also available for the Canon kit lens 18-55mm IS (with UV filter) for additional $100 if buying together.

Excellent condition. One of the most popular digital SLR. Comes with the original box and all accessories.

12.2-megapixel CMOS sensor captures enough detail for poster-size, photo-quality prints

Large 3.0-inch LCD display; Enhanced Live View function

DIGIC III image processor provides fast, accurate image processing; improved Autofocus and framing rate

EOS Integrated Cleaning system, plus Dust Delete Data Detection in included software

$540 (singapore dollars?) for a 450D package, thats a pretty good deal price wise.

As for its condition, you need to check for yourself then.

I do not understand where you got (Singapore dollars?) from... :dunno: This is to be paid in full American Cash

this is a singaporean site, so you do have to state if it is not in singaporean currency.

anyways, usd440 for body only, that is pretty alright, a quick peek at amazon.com says that the best you can get for a 2nd hand body is usd499..

as for what to check; the list is never exhaustive,

1) whether camera can power on
2) whether associated accessories that you deem necessary are intact and come with the camera
3) cosmetic problems that you can or cannot live with
4) cosmetic problems that you might be able to live with, but hint at a deeper problem; for example, drop marks may mean that the camera might have an inherent problem that resulted with the drop that might not have surfaced
5) corrosion on all relevant metal parts (battery spring portion)
6) whether all doors can be open, and are not loose, etc
7) camera can take pictures, and sensor has no damage
8) camera can trigger lens to take pictures properly
9) camera can trigger external flash to flash properly
10) if you have a need for popup flash, that it works

the list can go on, some problems also cannot be seen on a simple immediate meetup, might surface after a few days, e.g. battery problems like the battery life is much more pathetic than it should be......

so check all that you can, hope that the previous owner is honest, but remember that you are always taking a risk when buying second-hand, it will not be so bad if camera still comes with valid warranty.

if you cannot stomach the risk, then better to buy first hand

I do not understand where you got (Singapore dollars?) from... :dunno: This is to be paid in full American Cash

this is a singaporean site, so you do have to state if it is not in singaporean currency.

Thats right, I was guessing yours might not be in sing dollars because

1) 540 sing dollars is quite below the market price
2) you mentioned "college", which is not usually used in Singapore context.
3) You used Canon Rebel "XSi"

Anyway, even when converted to USD, its not a bad deal and night86mare has given a comprehensive list on what to look out for.

Last edited:
540 USD seems like an ok price.
That's equal to just over S$800? Slightly cheaper than here I guess.

Last edited:
You never stated US Dollars. How are we to know? You think we can read minds?

I did not know that this was a "Singapore" based website for photography. With that said I never know that people in "Singapore" typed & talked good English witch is great to know now :thumbsup:

1 :heart: (LOVE)

methinks your spelling needs some work. It's "which", not "witch".

Anyway, if you bothered to surf around Clubsnap, you'll notice that most of the threads refer to places that would be seem foreign in an American context.

There's also no mention anywhere that this is an AMERICAN website too, so why the assumption that any price must refer to US Dollars?

Last edited:
methinks your spelling needs some work. It's "which", not "witch".

Anyway, if you bothered to surf around Clubsnap, you'll notice that most of the threads refer to things that would be alien to an American.
There's no mention that this is an AMERICAN website too, so why the assumption that any price must refer to US Dollars?

Its ok bro. Mistakes occur. Let's move on. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.