Eos 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Romulus
Anyone has an EOS30?

Have been reading about it recently. I find the eye-controlled AF most interesting... Has anyone used it before?

Hi, I own a EOS 30 since July last year...other than Eye-Control, what else do you wanna know?

It's a fine camera if you intend to spend $800-$900 on a camera body ;)

Adam, how any focusing points does it have?

I've had an EOS-30 for a little while now. After owning/migrating from the EOS-50E and EOS-3, I find the EOS-30 to be the first camera where the eye controlled focusing is actually useable. It is faster than the EOS-3 and is much more accurate. On my EOS-3, it took 6 attempts just to calibrate ECF and success rate was not more than 60%. With my EOS-30, it's >95% success. Response time is faster than the EOS-3.

Don't forget the other features which make the EOS-30 a viable alternative to the EOS-3.
  • True mirror lockup. Press the shutter button / cable release button once, mirror goes up. Within 30s, press again, and the shot is taken
  • Dedicated DOF preview button. Unlike the EOS-50/50E where the * button doubles as DOFP, the EOS-30 has a dedicated DOFP button like the EOS-3
  • AF tracking is excellent. It actually works. Even with an old AFD 35m f/2, AF tracking works very well. With the EOS-50, AF tracking was useless. In my comparison between the 3 and 30 using the centre focus point, AF tracking was equally accurate (sunny day, 100 f/2.8 USM and 200 f/2.8L USM lenses)
  • Modeling flash capability with 420EX and 550EX. This is way cool. Press the DOFP button with these flashes and it strobes at 70Hz for 1 sec at low power.
  • Flash ratio control, just like the EOS-1V/3/1D. This is cool too. You can control flash power ratios with a multiple speedlite setup. You can't do this with any other Canon cheaper than an EOS-3.

the main difference for this camera is that it use CMOS sensor not CCD, normally CMOS sensor are widely used in cheap low end web cam while most high end DSC use CCD.

I just wonder why Canon use CMOS here, is it diferenct from other CMOS ?

err cmos ? ccd ? EOS 30 ? :dunno: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by cory
the main difference for this camera is that it use CMOS sensor not CCD, normally CMOS sensor are widely used in cheap low end web cam while most high end DSC use CCD.

:dunno:

cory, they are talking about EOS 30, the film SLR, not EOS D30, the digital SLR. ;)

I think you are talking about Canon EOS D30 whereas the rest here have been talking about the analogue film camera, Canon EOS 30.

For more information about the D30, see here and here.

Sigh... now you've tempted me... interestingly enough, I think my EOS300 has a dedicated DOFP as well...

Anyone selling an EOS30 for under $800? :D

Sigh... now you've tempted me... interestingly enough, I think my EOS300 has a dedicated DOFP as well...

Anyone selling an EOS30 for under $800? :D
I will up it to $801!
hehhehhee

I don't agree totally with what Sriram has said. The EOS 3 and 30 are catered for different users. For more precise control and robust handling, pros and advanced amateurs will generally prefer the 3. There are quite a number of (pro) features found in the 3 which are not found in the 30. It's really up to your shooting style. You don't want to get a 3 if you don't use its features. Similarly, you might not want even a 30 if a 300 suits you fine.

For me, 30 lacks several important features which the 3 provides. As for eye-focus being more "accurate" in 30, that's quite true. But then again, the 30 has only 7 focusing points while the 3 has 45!! I don't bother much with eye-focus cos I concentrate on only 1 focusing point at a time. Again, this is my shooting style.

It is not true that the 35mm f/2 with the 50/50E is as hopeless as Sriram says. I own both combi and they work fine. If anything, I felt the 30 is a worse perfomer in low light without the Speedlight attached as it doesn't have any AF-assist light on its body.

I can go on and on about the advantages of the 3 over 30 but it isn't fair as I probably shoot differently compared to Sriram. For one, the 3 has a much more solid body than the 30 (feels more "plastic" in my hands). If you use long or bigger and heavier L lenses, you'll appreciate this point.

Well, at the end of the day, it all depends on how and what you shoot. You don't want to get a sports car if a family sedan will do just nicely.

hmmm... thanks.

Could the 45 focus points be the reason the eye-controlled af is much slower or "less" accurate?
That's one of the reasons that it is slower (how much slower, I have no idea, any end user tests here can only be subjective). Another reason would be because the EOS 30, being the latest film SLR with ECF, comes with the latest algorithms for ECF operations which is presumably improved over its predecessor.

It is also widely documented in both the user manual and user reviews that ECF on the EOS 3 can be sped up by setting a custom function on the body to use only 11 focus points instead of the default 45.

Status
Not open for further replies.