EOS 30\33 vs EOS 66

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necroist

Jan 27, 2002
www.ragingbox.com
Been considering the above 2 for sometime now, I must say I'm moving more towards the EOS 30/33 range, but I was wondering what are your comments on the differences between the 30/33 series and 66?

The price difference between the 2 is really wide.

Also, for EOS 30 users, do you guys really use the Eye-control feature much or is it more of a gimmick?

yes the model numbers give the perception that EOS30/33 and EOS 66 should have similar features.. in reality canon positions EOS 66 for biginners and new enithusiasts where EOS 30/33 is positioned for semi-pro users.. In terms of features, EOS 30/33 is a lot more advanced than EOS 66... you could check canon web-site for specs.. photonotes.org gives a very good comparison of canon cameras.. similarly you can check the photozone.de which gives a side-by-side comparison of various models...

Depnding on your requirement, choose the body to suit your shooting.. If you are a novice, you can get the EOS 66 or look for a used SLR and later upgrade to EOS 30/33...

Come to ECF, EOS 30 boasts of the best Eye controlled focus technology in the EOS line-up... I haven't used a EOS 30 but I use it very often in my EOS 5.. and it works wonderfully.. I belive EOS30 ECF should be better..

I know I sound like someone else here ;) but if u cannot grasp the difference in specs between the two, stick to ur 66.

Necroist said:
Is the eyefocus really that big of a deal?

never used it...
but overall the 30 has a better feel than the 66.
30 has lots of custom functions that make it a lot easier and more personalised to your preference (like personalising the camera to suit your needs and preference).

however, none of them are cannot-live-without.

66 is a decent camera so maybe u might like to start off with a 66 and get real comfy before deciding to upgrade or just jumpstart with a 30.

it's basically your chioce. i did the former...

Amazing, when i last quoted from mscolour, the EOS 33 is cheaper than the EOS 30 by $100.

What do you guys think?

Necroist said:
Amazing, when i last quoted from mscolour, the EOS 33 is cheaper than the EOS 30 by $100.

What do you guys think?

coz EOS33 no eye control ma

Necroist said:
Is the eye control really that sought after?

As you would have already read, the eye focus technology uses your eyes to determine where you want to focus: you look at the left focus box, the camera uses the left focus box to focus...

I have previously used the eos 30 for a year and a half... had not put the eye focus into any serious use. One reason being i'm not really comfortable letting my "shifty" eyes guide the camera to focus.

Some swear by it for action photography and for fast response... some swear against it... I guess its up to one's personal preference. My take is that i'm more comfortable sticking to the centre box and recompose accordingly.

the 30 doesn't really focus very well especially in low light... so i feel its better to just use the centre box. Plus, there's no point using the eye focus for "faster response" when the camera does not even focus properly...

my 2 cents... hope it helps.

Necroist said:
Is the eye control really that sought after?

Well, thousand words said could not counter a hands on.

Why not u just try out yourself in cathay or other major camera store?
see whether it suits your needs and feels?

Cheers :D

Necroist said:
Btw, is it possible to change the viewfinder on the EOS33?

change to what?
change the mirror issit? if so, can. eos30 also can but cannot use the eye control..

Status
Not open for further replies.