Not open for further replies.

mylau

Jan 19, 2002
1367637.jpg

Any banding?

Firmware version is 1.3

Hi

u bought the 1D already?

image is too small and compressed to tell.
u need to provide full size, unprocessed image at ISO 800.

Yup, bought the 1D. Here is the same picture but this time full size straight from camera.

1367997.jpg

Originally posted by Fred
Looks good for ISO800, good for you ;-0

Thks, I did not see any banding, needs second opinion. Could be due to monitor's problem.

Appreciate your comments.

May I suggest that you shoot some street scenes at night or subject with lots of shadow, it'll be good for checks.

Had to sell off all your furniture to buy the 1D, huh? :bsmilie:

Seriously, I've never understood this obsession with banding (except as an excuse for me NOT to get the 1D). If you have to look so hard to see it, why bother about it? Like looking for a zit on Fann Wong's face after you've married her.

No the 1D had very bad banding problems before. They're sorted it out now with firmware, which is what mylau is showing us. It was objectionable before. Now they've got the image to about the level of noise where the D1x is at in terms of ISO800 anyway.

Mylau I'm surprised after having owned the D30, D1x and 1D in the last six months that you aren't confident enough to know if there's banding in a shot or not. Have more faith in your own eyes!

yeah, that is one empty-looking dining room.....

Originally posted by StreetShooter

Seriously, I've never understood this obsession with banding (except as an excuse for me NOT to get the 1D). If you have to look so hard to see it, why bother about it? Like looking for a zit on Fann Wong's face after you've married her.

Hmmm....now that we've seen your dining room, do you have any other images taken with your 1D? Any at all? I'm curious about how the 1D will perform in the real world. Thanks

Not bad. BTW, what lens did you use to take the photos?

I was playing with the EOS1D at Cathay the other day and took some pics at ISO1600 - close scrutiny of the images don't show the banding nor the horizontal line problem, so believe Canon has fixed them already.

Shots at ISO1600 was very clean, relatively noise-free compared to the D1x - very impressive.

And the speed is truly amazing - shutter response, mirror blackout, etc.

I am very envious ;p

Yeah well the D1x isn't designed to be used at ISO1600.

Yes it's a slug. I'm amazed how much faster even the D1 is going back to it. Still, I'm mixing it with the best in the business with 1Ds with the slug and doing quite well... so even in sport, that's evidence that the camera isn't the end of the world.

And to be perfectly honest Darren, so are you, with your wildlife stuff (doing well that is). To be perfectly honest, the 1D is a sports camera really, and I can't see anyone other than people in my line of work needing that kind of speed.

As a general camera the D1x is probably a better choice, which is why it would be interesting to find out why mylau made the switch.

Originally posted by StreetShooter

Ha! Ha! That's very funny. Dear friends, I'm moving house soon. I am getting rid of the furnitures. That's why I have such an empty hall. Just sold off my flat and bought a bigger one at Jurong East.

Originally posted by Kit
Hmmm....now that we've seen your dining room, do you have any other images taken with your 1D? Any at all? I'm curious about how the 1D will perform in the real world. Thanks

Give me a few more days, I still trying to find the correct setting to shoot. There are thousands of functions in this camera! Blur Blur liao.

Originally posted by YSLee
Not bad. BTW, what lens did you use to take the photos?

Canon 16-35mm L lens

No USM applied to picture.

Originally posted by Jed
Yeah well the D1x isn't designed to be used at ISO1600.

Yes it's a slug. I'm amazed how much faster even the D1 is going back to it. Still, I'm mixing it with the best in the business with 1Ds with the slug and doing quite well... so even in sport, that's evidence that the camera isn't the end of the world.

And to be perfectly honest Darren, so are you, with your wildlife stuff (doing well that is). To be perfectly honest, the 1D is a sports camera really, and I can't see anyone other than people in my line of work needing that kind of speed.

As a general camera the D1x is probably a better choice, which is why it would be interesting to find out why mylau made the switch.

The 45 focusing points. After using an EOS 3 borrowed from a friend, no other AF systems impress me anymore.

D1X is too picture noisy. Even ISO 400 give me problems in dark areas. The noise level of 1D is much much better.

Fast camera. Good for shooting birds in action.

Originally posted by Jed
No the 1D had very bad banding problems before. They're sorted it out now with firmware, which is what mylau is showing us. It was objectionable before. Now they've got the image to about the level of noise where the D1x is at in terms of ISO800 anyway.

Mylau I'm surprised after having owned the D30, D1x and 1D in the last six months that you aren't confident enough to know if there's banding in a shot or not. Have more faith in your own eyes!

Yeah! You're right. I should believe my eyes more. I hereby announce that Canon has remove all bandings from their flagship: EOS 1D :gbounce:

Okay, fair enough. Hope you're happy with the camera then ;)

I disagree on the noise though, and I know you used the camera before. I've trawled around from some of my shots taken at ISO800 (difficult since almost everything is 1600 these days :( ) But here's one (warning large file) taken at ISO800 untreated aside from resizing to 1D proportions. To me anyway the noise is not any more prevailent than in the shot you've posted (and there was at one time the problem of banding too, although thankfully for you now solved).

That shot, BTW, is taken with a manual focus lens using 3fps. If you want the sequence either way I have it, and it's all very nice. Like I said, I'm mixing it with the best in the business week in week out and have no problem getting sales. Some of my birds in slight pics are taken with manual focus as well, and all with the D1x. Darren's birds in flight pics look very good to.

But at the end of the day it's what you're happy with so fair enough if you feel you want it.

The lens looks a bit soft on the edges btw, even with the FL length multiplier. It's not a DOF issue cause it's existent on the RHS as well.

I've posted the sequence here.

Admittedly, there is actually a gap in the sequence between 4 and 5 that I've only just noticed after posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.