Entry to NTU/NUS Enquiries

Status
Not open for further replies.

theITguy

Sep 19, 2003
In this small world
Visit site
Hi, I have obtained 2ADs, 11As, 14Bs and 10Cs for my diploma in biz ad in SP and is considering to enter one of the local uni. I wish to know what are my chances and need current students who are studying the below courses to help me out:

NUS: B. Computing, B. Biz Ad
NTU: B. Biz Ad, B. Accountancy

Thanks for all the help and advice.

theITguy said:
Hi, I have obtained 2ADs, 11As, 14Bs and 10Cs for my diploma in biz ad in SP and is considering to enter one of the local uni. I wish to know what are my chances and need current students who are studying the below courses to help me out:

http://www.ntu.edu.sg/OAD/Local+Admissions/frequently+asked+questions/default.htm

sorry borrow your thread... does any1 know whether u can appeal to apply for admission to NUS even though the admission deadline has closed? I have a fren who hopes to be admitted to this year's intake but she hasnt got her toefl result yet and the admission deadline for foreigners frm her country has already closed. i was wondering if there is that some1 that she can write to?

Mystix said:
sorry borrow your thread... does any1 know whether u can appeal to apply for admission to NUS even though the admission deadline has closed? I have a fren who hopes to be admitted to this year's intake but she hasnt got her toefl result yet and the admission deadline for foreigners frm her country has already closed. i was wondering if there is that some1 that she can write to?

ask her to call up the admissions office asap lor....
http://www.nus.edu.sg/corporate/contact/index.html

hi there ... i am also from sp and applying .. so maybe i can tell u abit of my feelings?

i went for both NUS and NTU talks on admission and even met up with the dean for computer Engineering in NTU ... wrote in to NTU a couple of times and the replies they will give u is standard ... apply by all means and you may get in.

i have a worst results then u ... 2 ADs 5 As 16 Bs and 12 Cs and i would say u do have a better chance then me. just try. dont worry about the results ... good luck

mervlam said:
ask her to call up the admissions office asap lor....
http://www.nus.edu.sg/corporate/contact/index.html
Think you need to get your friend to talk to the head or somebody....the receptionist or operator will just say No....No....No....No....No....No....No....No....No....No....No....No....No....No....No....No....No....No....No....No....No....

I was from bizad and had a couple of friends who came from poly. Their results are really kind of ACE.....which could explain why they also do very well in Uni too. Not sure if that is liken to discouraging you. But you should try cos there are also a few people who had average results but with outstanding "eca" kind of thingy...

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I would welcome all forms of discussion that benefits anyone.

sky_dew:
I think it is the right way for them to do so, that is why I do not even bother to ask them in the first place, knowing they would say these stuffs. Basically they cannot do anything as it is rather confidential on the entry points. If they say you can go in with the results, then it will not be fair to you if you are not qualified compared to others in terms of overall score. I do not think I have a better chance, coz the course I am entering is different, so no worries. My main reason on going to NTU/NUS is to secure a study loan, which I cannot get if I am going to a private one.

garvinchow:
Thanks for the info. Should be expected as these poly ACE student do work very hard, which is not my cup of tea. I like to enjoy education, which is an important factor on the course I choose. I must say I do not have much CCA points as there are more fun out of poly I think. Somehow my friends in JC are more happening, that is my personal experience. :)

since we are on this subject, may i know how's SIM. Is the cert recognised?

E1g3 said:
since we are on this subject, may i know how's SIM. Is the cert recognised?

Hi, SIM do not issue degree, or in another word it is not a university like NTU/NUS. It is merely an institution like Stanford, TMC, Informatics, MDIS, Harbridge and Auston that organise the students, prepare the lecture, teach and do the registering of the student to enter the university they want. Of course SIM is much more trustworthy and professional in many ways. I know of one of the above mention educational group that register a student, let him study in the college (as in their lectures not at the university). But the student was denied the chance to take the examination coz it was found that he is not qualified. He paid $4k for the course and complained to the University that offer the degree. The educational group is not Informatics (which many hated).

Anyway, SIM's degree courses can be found at www.sim.edu.sg and the 2 main universities that offer degree programmes are University of London (UOL) and Open University Centre (OUC). Other universities' degrees offered are from Uni of New York and RMIT (Australia's uni known for IT). I do not know much about recognition, but UOL is pretty tough and is not a bad alternative compared to NUS/NTU's business schools. UOL is also very big in terms of number of external programme students (I think they have something like 100K or 300K world wide from what I read the last time) and they have a lot of colleges that are some of the top colleges in UK like the London School of Economics (LSE). If you are a scholarship holder from LSE you are pretty much better than most economic student from NTU/NUS. RMIT I do not feel good about the quality of their course, and recognition is not as good as to UOL (London everyone knows, Melboune?)

Was told taking an external degree is different from being physically 'there'. With the 'external degree' on the graduation cert makes the degree less worthwhile.

E1g3 said:
Was told taking an external degree is different from being physically 'there'. With the 'external degree' on the graduation cert makes the degree less worthwhile.

It is how you are able to work that is important. You may be a degree holder with high level of programming skill. But if you do not understand how a system works you will not get your applications you built to work. I may be a biz ad diploma holder with simple programming skills, but my understanding of the system allows me to create scalable applications that also works with other applications, unlike some foreign programmers who have double degrees in engineering and IT. (pls I am not boasting but giving you examples on how putting in effort do overcome some disadvantages)

Anyway, my personal opinion is to take the above comments lightly. For UOL's external programme, it is the same and exactly the same paper being test either here or UK itself. Here is a quote from the prospectus:

Examination standards
The standard of the examination for the degrees is the same as that for students studying at a College of the University. The standard of examinations for the Access route and the Diploma in Economics is the same as that for the Foundation units of the degrees. The University’s academic staff are involved in the same way in the setting of question papers and the marking of scripts. No concessions are made for the more difficult study circumstances of External students. You need to be reasonably confident that you have the ability to succeed in an examination before making your entry.

Sometimes one need to be confident in their own ability than a piece of paper. I strongly believe you are worth more than the piece of paper as internal student from UOL. Here is the link to UOL http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/undergraduate/index.php

Mystix said:

See http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/catd/instru.htm#pin

Online appeal (4-13 June 2004)

theITguy said:

Have you seen http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/catb/faq/?

Can I apply for a course that is not listed (accredited) for my Diploma?

No, only Diplomas from local Polytechnics that are accredited by NUS and relevant to the course applied for will be considered for admission.

Please refer to the list of accredited Polytechnic Diplomas for further information.

If your Diploma is not listed, it means that it is currently not accredited for a course of study at NUS and you are ineligible to apply.

How is one selected for admission to a course in NUS?

Selection for admission is based on academic merit and open competition among all eligible applicants for places available in the faculty concerned.

TRiShnDaisy said:

Hi,

I have seen and know what can I apply for. I am asking what are the chances or cut-off points to get into the above courses mentioned with my scores, that is why I would like to seek people here who may be in the same situation as me the last tie round and managed to get in.

theITguy said:
I know of one of the above mention educational group that register a student, let him study in the college (as in their lectures not at the university). But the student was denied the chance to take the examination coz it was found that he is not qualified. He paid $4k for the course and complained to the University that offer the degree. The educational group is not Informatics (which many hated).

RMIT I do not feel good about the quality of their course, and recognition is not as good as to UOL (London everyone knows, Melboune?)

Regarding the first point, yes, do be cautious about the schools you apply for. Studying for degrees these days is getting very commercialized. Anyone who's willing to pay and have some time can do it. Do check the credibility of the schools and the degrees they offer.

Why is Informatics hated? :p

I think the second point is a biased point of view. RMIT is a well-known institution. If Melbourne is not popular, then I think Singapore's NUS/NTU is even worse. There are many in the US or Europe who don't even know where Singapore is, let alone NUS/NTU. Seriously, this is from my personal experience!

At the end of the day, it's not so much your degree but what you can do in the real world that matters. I know it's sad over here, there's a huge emphasis on grades over most other things.

Just a digression here: I have a few friends with diplomas who couldn't enter the local unis despite repeated registration for 2-3 years. Finally they got fed up, managed to get PM sponsorship (Papa-Mama) and some savings and did their degrees overseas at universitites 'unheard of' here but nevertheless have very good course structures. Two of them scored excellent grades and today, ironically, they earn more than our other friends from NUS who slogged hard to compete in the local educational system.

Anyway, best wishes to those from polys applying to study at NUS/NTU... :)

Veronica Choo said:
Regarding the first point, yes, do be cautious about the schools you apply for. Studying for degrees these days is getting very commercialized. Anyone who's willing to pay and have some time can do it. Do check the credibility of the schools and the degrees they offer.

Why is Informatics hated? :p

I think the second point is a biased point of view. RMIT is a well-known institution. If Melbourne is not popular, then I think Singapore's NUS/NTU is even worse. There are many in the US or Europe who don't even know where Singapore is, let alone NUS/NTU. Seriously, this is from my personal experience!

At the end of the day, it's not so much your degree but what you can do in the real world that matters. I know it's sad over here, there's a huge emphasis on grades over most other things.

Just a digression here: I have a few friends with diplomas who couldn't enter the local unis despite repeated registration for 2-3 years. Finally they got fed up, managed to get PM sponsorship (Papa-Mama) and some savings and did their degrees overseas at universitites 'unheard of' here but nevertheless have very good course structures. Two of them scored excellent grades and today, ironically, they earn more than our other friends from NUS who slogged hard to compete in the local educational system.

Anyway, best wishes to those from polys applying to study at NUS/NTU... :)

Hi, I do agree that my opinion of RMIT is a bit biased. Talking about biz programme., UOL is stronger, while RMIT is stronger in their IT programmes.

I think many go to NTU/NUS not because of the quality, which is of course there but not great quality. It is the grant plus loan that will allow them to study without worrying about costs like costs of living and etc. Like what you mentioned, apart from scholarship from parents and savings, it is afterall quite hard to get a bank loan to study out of the local unis from what I see. If they can apply for bank loans in these situation, most of the time the guarrantee (parents) would likely have enough money to send them for overseas or just local unis.

Thanks for upping the thread. :)

garvinchow said:
I was from bizad and had a couple of friends who came from poly. Their results are really kind of ACE.....which could explain why they also do very well in Uni too. Not sure if that is liken to discouraging you. But you should try cos there are also a few people who had average results but with outstanding "eca" kind of thingy...

Hi hi, may i noe wat kind of results are they getting? becos i am hoping to apply for ntu bus.. i am from tp, my friend told me tt theri cos BIT gold medalist cound not get into the cos so i was wondering how slim is the chances of getting into that course.. i have 20 AD 5A 2B COM cum bronze medalist.. do u think i stand a chance?

sky_dew said:
hi there ... i am also from sp and applying .. so maybe i can tell u abit of my feelings?

i went for both NUS and NTU talks on admission and even met up with the dean for computer Engineering in NTU ... wrote in to NTU a couple of times and the replies they will give u is standard ... apply by all means and you may get in.

i have a worst results then u ... 2 ADs 5 As 16 Bs and 12 Cs and i would say u do have a better chance then me. just try. dont worry about the results ... good luck

hi sky_dew,

dun be discouraged, i got a friend applied for 3 times and finally entered ntu... besides, nowadays local uni have accepted more poly students than previous...

ganbatte ne :)

Status
Not open for further replies.