ENTRY LEVEL - Nikon 5k or Canon 1k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deceit

Aug 17, 2009
jiahui.blogsome.com
I'm new, am getting either Nikon 5k or Canon 1k to start out my photography experiences.. Any advice, guide, comments etc ya? Will be great to hear tt. Cheers ;)

Hi guys, I'm wondering if Nikon D5k of Canon D1k is better as a start out for my photography experiences.. any suggestions, comments, advices, guide and etc? will be glad to know more.. so i won't regret purchasing it. thanks and cheers ;)

Last edited:
I'd say Nikon D3000.

It has a guide mode and is very user-friendly.

Going for about 900 for the kit.

As a Nikon Die Hard Fans, i would suggest u to get Nikon D3000! Its like "Duh!Of cause!"

Haha! But i personally prefers Nikon Ergonomic and like what Lomo had said.. the new guide mode is very useful for beginners i tried it myself and i think its good..But to each its own..Good luck! XD!

Last edited:
the ergonomics of nikon is better then canon,

but as norman said, canon users will say canon, nikon users wil recommend nikon.

get down to a photographic supplies store, tell them your budget, features you're looking in a cam (or if you have alr decided tell them the models)

and then try it out for yourself, you'll have a better idea of which cam to get and most imptly which you're comfortable with.

D5000 is a different level from 1000D.

D5000 is a very good camera. Even though I am a Nikon user, I am no biased towards any brand. I would say between the 2 choices, D5000 will be a lot better. If you are purely starting out with any models, these are the suggestions:

1. Look at Sony Alpha, Olympus and Pentax too.
2. If you really want Nikon, get the D3000 or D5000 if you want better performance.
3. If you really want Canon, start at a 450D used, or a 500D.

Last edited:
A230 , A300 , A330 , A380 , A550 from sony
nikon d60 , d3000
canon 1000d, 500d or 450d

if price is an issue, i rather u get 450D (with spot metering and larger LCD screen) as compared to 1000D. The price difference is not alot.

No offense to Nikon users, but I think the interface of the D3000 will prove cumbersome and difficult to navigate to those who normally use Canon.

No offense to Nikon users, but I think the interface of the D3000 will prove cumbersome and difficult to navigate to those who normally use Canon.

frankly almost all DSLR having different menu system... if switching brands for sure you'll need time to get used to the menu system... even same brand might have different variations as the company upgrading / updating the menu system... i won't bother with menu system, just need time to get used to that...

TS: just go out to camera shops and the shop to get all DSLR within your budget one out for you to try and try and try... buy the one you like most... simple as that... like buying cars... you can't be buying just because one car got higher horsepower comparing to others... all other things come in, like appearance, comfortable to drive, and great handling for corners etc etc etc...

Last edited:
Coming from a non Canon/Nikon user, the D5000 a more advanced level camera wrt the 1000D.

If price wise is similar of diff by ~$100, I would certainly take the D5k.

This kinda question can go on forever. Try out snapping both at a cam store and see what you feel about the cams yourself. Neither r hugely better than the other tech spec wise. If u wanna try photography but am not sure if u will continue snapping then, a second hand cam is a pretty cheap way to start.
If u are pretty serious for the long term then, consider the lens system rather than just the body. ITs a lot more than just a budget nikon vs a budget canon.
Before jumping in, decide not to "regret" whatever u buy. And if u do, just sell it off and get the one that u will not "regret".
For newbies i always suggest second hand but bring along a friend who knows this stuff.

i think entry level juz anyhow buy one that u think appeals to you most
play with it
then u know wat u really wan
no need to buy so good
everybody has different needs

If got budget constrain, Sony a300 and a330 will be the best. No other budget dslr has live view + image stabilizer + tiltable lcd for less than $1k. These functions are usually found on mid range dslrs. If no budget constrain u can get the mid range nikon and Canon.

A330 is also one of the lightest dslr, much lighter than the NIKON and canon ones. Some ppl like heavy ones so they won't like Sony, so it depends on personal preference

Last edited:
frankly almost all DSLR having different menu system... if switching brands for sure you'll need time to get used to the menu system... even same brand might have different variations as the company upgrading / updating the menu system... i won't bother with menu system, just need time to get used to that...

TS: just go out to camera shops and the shop to get all DSLR within your budget one out for you to try and try and try... buy the one you like most... simple as that... like buying cars... you can't be buying just because one car got higher horsepower comparing to others... all other things come in, like appearance, comfortable to drive, and great handling for corners etc etc etc...

However I have managed to operate D300s, D80s and D70 rather decently:think:

basically for me i have absolute no idea about how a dslr goes about you see. So I'm getting one to try out the experiences.. I thought of going for one which will guide me entirely to learn more about the bits and pieces of dslr and photography skills. So am wondering which will goes better for a super fresh starter like me, cos what i only know is of these 2 models which is for entry level, as for the rest am not really sure.. i do not really have a specific budget cos i know that for entry level, shouldn't be too costly ya? :dunno:

Budget wise, think Harvey Norman is trying to push the Olympus DSLRs really cheap ($800 for body + starter kit), but heard from friends that the interface not so friendly and quality not as high... however if you just want exposure on a budget, that can be an option.

All in all, the different cameras will have different feels and interfaces... so if you're serious about your first camera, go to a shop and ask to hold and try the various cameras. Some love the displays on Nikon, others prefer the HUD on Canon.

Also, check what bundles and offers are avail... my 1000D had an option to buy a EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM for about SGD$150, usual standalone price was $429...

Then see if they offer you a starter kit like kit lens (some don't!), possibly also cleaning kit, spare batt/card and bag etc.

Hope it helps! =)

I will not choose Nikon D5000 simply because it does not have a built-in screw to auto focus with AF-D lenses.

I will choose the Canon if it does not have similar "disadvantage" on the use of lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.