Entry Level DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyymanz

Jun 25, 2009
Hi all,

I am interested in picking up photography. Have been using panasonic FX9 for years for normal photo shoot. Hence i have decide to invest on a new DSLR. This will be my first DSLR. Alot to learn from the people here.

First can anybody recommend me a entry level DSLR? my budget is ard $.13k. Will be good if u guys can guide me how to chose a suitable DSLR for entry level.

Thanks! :)

Hi all,

I am interested in picking up photography. Have been using panasonic FX9 for years for normal photo shoot. Hence i have decide to invest on a new DSLR. This will be my first DSLR. Alot to learn from the people here.

First can anybody recommend me a entry level DSLR? my budget is ard $.13k. Will be good if u guys can guide me how to chose a suitable DSLR for entry level.

Check the Price Guides to see what $1.3k can get.

$.13K = $130 :sweat: That's a bit low for DSLR. Or you mean as $1.3K?

Can look through B&S for 2nd hand DSLR if you have low budget.

Hi all,

It's easy to be confused with all the info around. Do you have a brand that you like? If so, then narrow down your choices.

Things to consider:

1) Size and type of sensor

2) The lenses supported - some entry level dslr cameras do not have built-in AF motors, so they cannot support the entire range of lenses available. And of course, those supported are usually 40-50% more expensive. So be careful about that.

3) Do some research on the specs. Go to the equipment discussion forums and read up "This model vs That model" or "This brand vs That brand" threads.

4) As for handling and functionality - depends on what you're comfortable with. Or if you think having 52 autofocus point is a MUST ! Actually, 1 focal point is good enough - 52 is kinda overkill. hahaha...

5) Lastly, the image quality they produce.

That's about it for now. Pick a brand first. You always have to take sides :p

Hi all,

Well you could stick with Panasonic for one :think:

$1.3k gives you quite a few options. I suggest you look at the price guides section to see the prices for all the different brands. Many entry level models for each brand is around this price or lower.

Now, shameless plug here for the brand I use :
The new Pentax Kx is rumored to be just under $1k with 18-55mm kit lens and coming in in end Oct.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593141

For what you get, its really better than just entry level for entry level price. (do a google on Pentax Kx for details)

get anything u like that meets ur budget. only after shooting with a dslr for a few yrs will u find out what do u realli need.
haveu experimented with the manual features of ur current cam?

think about sony.

i just gotten A330. its definitely below yr budget with lots of spare change.....

2) The lenses supported - some entry level dslr cameras do not have built-in AF motors, so they cannot support the entire range of lenses available. And of course, those supported are usually 40-50% more expensive. So be careful about that.

I thought only nikon entry level doesn't offer body autofocus motor?

Well, from the various brands you can consider.

canon 450D/500D
Nikon D3000/D5000
Olympus E-420/E-620
Sony A230/A330/A380
pentax k-x

All these brands offer excellent bodies but each brand have their own characteristics and short coming which, of course, is debatable. That you have to research on your own. :)

Other than that, there's a new emerging type called micro four-thirds. you might want to google it.

There are many offerings from Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Pentax. Go try them out and see what you like. At the entry level, it is IMHO that properties like image quality is about the same. While it is true that certain cameras may have superior high ISO capability or dynamic range etc, to a beginner, it's really quite about the same.

pentax K-x kit 18-55 @ <1k

I find that the camera really does not matter at all as long since most, if not all of them, have manual exposure, custom WB, and autofocus, spot metering.

Heard of some people saying they have outgrown their gear. I beg to differ. You can learn about composition, exposure, and lighting for many many years using the same basic DSLR all the same.

Camera does not feel comfortable? Maybe you're just not used to it.

Instead of reading this and that, just get a cheaper, used body and a kit lens and try it out. Remember you can always sell it when you don't need it anymore. Hands-on experience tells you what you need better than any article/forum post you read.

Well you could stick with Panasonic for one :think:

$1.3k gives you quite a few options. I suggest you look at the price guides section to see the prices for all the different brands. Many entry level models for each brand is around this price or lower.

Now, shameless plug here for the brand I use :
The new Pentax Kx is rumored to be just under $1k with 18-55mm kit lens and coming in in end Oct.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593141

For what you get, its really better than just entry level for entry level price. (do a google on Pentax Kx for details)
another shameless plug...:)

I recommend the K20D. I mean, how many dslr out there can simply be cleaned by being showered with water and still works. Its like having the weather protection of the 1D or D3 at a fraction of their prices. Dont know how many times the K20D weather resistance came in handy in my field.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnw_H7f4wIA

or maybe TS want to try its predecessor the K10D? Other then it, how many consumer cameras have actually been used in space with diy protection.
http://blog.flickr.net/en/2008/07/28/pentax-k10d-in-space/
2670120158_1e351af10e.jpg

Last edited:
dun splurge too much on the body, the lens are equally important!

I thought only nikon entry level doesn't offer body autofocus motor?

Well, from the various brands you can consider.

canon 450D/500D
Nikon D3000/D5000
Olympus E-420/E-620
Sony A230/A330/A380
pentax k-x

All these brands offer excellent bodies but each brand have their own characteristics and short coming which, of course, is debatable. That you have to research on your own. :)

Other than that, there's a new emerging type called micro four-thirds. you might want to google it.

At 1.3K i would add in Sony Alpha A550, 7FPS, Manual Focus liveview, build in IS, 960k LCD, Tilt LCD, HDR, Good high ISO performance even at 3200 :p

Ok i dint get that becuz i dun have 1.3k budget :( i got the A330 at 800+ only

P.S. hehe at 1.3k TS you can actually get A330 + 18-55 Kit lens + 50mm f1.8 + 2yrs extended warranty + bag + 8GB SD + 8GB MS + tripod + filters + 2nd Batt + extra money to get a Crumpler 6MDH :p

OR you can buy a Canon 500D + 8GB + 18-55 kit lens + Bag :p

Last edited:
Hi all,

Get the Sony A500 or A550. Cant go wrong with this.

Hi, there's too many models out there and your requirements are not specific enough (care to elaborate more?).
Please also perform a search, there are many similar threads like yours in the forum already. :)

Nikon D5000... not that bad for newcomer...

Status
Not open for further replies.